This is a sticky topic.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Color Change w/pics

All right guys, here is another one. Lets paint our cars!!!. The first few steps are the same as lowering so I have used the same instructions and pics for the beginning. (linked to pics to save bandwidth)

Please don't post until I finish there are 6 steps

Step 1: The obvious part. Open a pic of the car to be lowered in Photoshop. This will create a locked layer called “background”.

Step 2: Right click where it says “Background” in the layers windows or click on layer at the top and choose the option Duplicate layer. I usually name this new layer “color”

Step 3:
    a) Hide the layer called “background” by clicking on the little eyeball to the left of the word Background

b) zoom into about 300%.

c)Switch to the Polygon Lasso tool, go all the way to the margin and line up with the bottom of the front or rear bumper (which ever is closer to the margin you start on) trace around the bottom line of the car with the polygon lasso tool (this is why I recommend zooming in, you will see the lines much better). When you get to the opposite margin from where you started take the tool pointer to the bottom of the screen and click the mouse, then back over to the side of the screen you started on and click the mouse, then back to your starting point.

d) When your area is selected press delete on your keyboard. And you will get:
    Last edited by GotBoost; 12-12-2003, 11:13 AM.

Step 4: here is where we take it a step further. Repeat step 3-c for the windows, lights, markers, etc until only the body color is left. (not starting @ the margins) you should have something like this:
    Tip: I usually like to lower and change color @ the same time. Rather than duplicating the background layer, create the “lowered” layer then duplicate it as a big chuck of the cutting is already done.
    Attached Files

Comment

Step 5: If the car you are working with is white or silver you can skip this step as white and silver will take what ever color you change to. For those with other than white or silver, make sure that the “color” layer is selected and click on “Image”, “Adjust”, and choose “Desaturate. This will change to the “color” layer to grayscale. Now depending on what color you started with you may need to lighten it up a bit as you want a silver base to work from. If it is more charcoal that silver click on “Image”, “adjust” and choose “Brightness\Contrast”. Raise the levels to achieve the desired shade and click ok. (not to bright or it will look washed out.)
      Attached Files

Comment

Step 6: make sure that the “color” layer is selected. Click on “image”, “Adjust”, “Color Balance” or press CTRL+B and play around with the RGB settings until you achieve the color you want. I’ll do Green since the MSP doesn’t come that way. After you get the color you want then you can go back to “Brightness\Contrast” to adjust the shade of color. Enjoy and lets see ‘em!!!
        Attached Files

Comment

That's a pretty good way of doing it... I used to do something similar at the Max. Bout time someone made a tutorial for this stuff, I'm too lazy... lol.....
          ~Mar.

Now say it with me... B-R-A-K-E.

Good job!

Comment

oh yeah.. for those of u who like c/f ... her is a half-assed attempt

i changed color.., lowerd it , made rims a lil bigger, shaved the lenses and tinted.. oh yeah.., and c/f hahaha

Comment

sweet. I love the RX7

Comment

here's mine, i did it kinda quick so there are some spots that still have a bit of red on them
                Attached Files
                '91 323 SE
                Sony 12" Sub and amp - 17" Motegi MR7's wrapped in 205/40/zr Visa's - Protoss CAI - Magnaflow Exhaust - Indiglo Gauges and Carbon Fiber Bezel - Ractive Shift Knob, Boot, and Pedals - GroundControls

Coming Soon- Kartboy SS, Pakfeifer Front Bumper
                <center></center>

<a href="mailto://67mustangjosh@gmail.com">67mustangjosh@gmail dot com</a>

Comment

nice job josh. next time go a little slower and you will love the results. I uysed to rush through these things until one day I decided I wanted to be able to make it look like it was NOT photoshopped

Comment

here's another try with a better pic that has my whole car lol. lowered colr change and tint
                    Attached Files
                    '91 323 SE
                    Sony 12" Sub and amp - 17" Motegi MR7's wrapped in 205/40/zr Visa's - Protoss CAI - Magnaflow Exhaust - Indiglo Gauges and Carbon Fiber Bezel - Ractive Shift Knob, Boot, and Pedals - GroundControls

<center></center>

Comment

nice work!!! me thinks you got it

Comment

thanks but i still gotta master cell shading, btw are you gonna do a tutorial on how to add stuff like rims and body kits to our cars? just wondering
                        '91 323 SE

<center></center>

Comment

when time permits. I do this on my free time @ work

Comment

Comment

Comment

Working...
                              X