recomended tools

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

recomended tools

i figured i'd start a thread here for what tools everyone uses so others can get recomendations on what works and what doesn't if this works, i'll make it a sticky.

electrical test equipment:

i've had a compact multimeter from radio shack for years now that i keep in my car. it was $25, and well worth it for just checking 12V DC, resistance, and continuity. a great first meter to get.
    new model of the meter.

just recently i picked up a craftsman clamp meter, since i wanted to be able to take current measurements. i haven't had a chance to really test it out yet, but it should work great.
    $100 for the clamp meter.

cutting and drilling:

the ryobi folding table saw i have works great. when folded up it takes up so little space in my shed, which i love, since i've got so much other crap in there. i can set it up on my cement patio, or in the grass and still have a stable surface.
    a little over $200 for a great table saw.

i've been using the same craftsman cordless drill/driver for almost 4 years now. the only complaint i have is that one of the batteries doesn't have much of a charge left. it goes dead in about 2 hours, and the other lasts 4.
    great drill for the money.

last christmas i had asked for a rotozip, so i could cut circles for speaker openings. i got the craftsman one with the circle attatchment and flex attatchment. unless you go really slow with cuttin circles, it jumps and gets super hot. as a circle cutter, it ok, but i've been using the flex shaft with all my dremel tools, and love it. it's got a lot more power behind it than a dremel.
    rotary tool

for cutting circles i got a plunge router. well actually i got a combination fixed and plunged router kit, since i couldn't find the regular plunge ones anywhere. this router is awesome, and a it's a must have for anyone building a lot of speaker boxes.
    combo router.

for cutting the circles with the router, i got the jasper jig combo pack. the smaller jig cuts from 1" to 7 1/2" and the large one cuts from 2 1/4" to 18 3/16th". it's really easy to use, and with it you cut a perfect circle everytime. definitely worth the $50 for them.
    jasper jigs.

if you have a stable hand, you can easily cut circles with a jig saw. i picked up an orbital one, since my 20+ year old one finally died on me. super fast blade changes, variable speed, and orbital action for super fast straight cutting.
    orbital jig saw.

i'll get around to sanding tomorrow

why is this not a sticky?
    or if there are too many stickies, just integrate it into another sticky and change the title to reflect the changes.

Comment

Originally posted by blue LEDz
      i've been using the same craftsman cordless drill/driver for almost 4 years now. the only complaint i have is that one of the batteries doesn't have much of a charge left. it goes dead in about 2 hours, and the other lasts 4.
      great drill for the money.
      FWIW, last year I found this drill (http://www.dewalt.com/us/products/to...productID=3188) on sale at home depot for a little over $125. Yes, not the cheapest cordless drill, but the all metal gear box and the three range selections really make it a very versatile drill. In the slowest speed I have no issues with 3/4" plate steel and a 1/2" drill bit... the one time it bound up on me I thought it was going to rip my arm out of the socket.
      --JJB--
      '02 Silver Protegé5 - 5sp - no performance mods, no plans for them
      Kenwood Z919 -- Polk Audio speakers
      16" alloys w/ 205/50 Bridgestone RE750 (summer)
      15" steels w/ 195/55 Bridgestone Blizzak LM22 (winter)

Moon roof - wind deflector - variable intermittent wipers - electrochromic mirror w/ temp & compass
      Winter/beater car: 1997 Mercury Mountaineer with 182k on it

Comment

The Tq of the dewalt's are strong.
        2k4 Rally White Mazda 3 Hatchback

Sound By CDT , powered by DLS-CA23
        Bass by Elemental Design, powered by HIFONICS

Comment

Originally posted by Intruder
          why is this not a sticky?
          or if there are too many stickies, just integrate it into another sticky and change the title to reflect the changes.

nobody but me posted in it

Comment

From 14 views yesterday to more than 80 today. It's quite popular.

Comment

Well shucks fellas, ah do all mah moddin' with a chainsaw, some duck tape, an' a big ol can a spray paint...

Seriously though, the most valuable tool I have is the dremel. For cutting and sanding things (keep in mind I'm not doing stereo boxes, just interior work) I almost always use that.

An important note... if you're buying a drill, make sure you get one with a chuck key to tighten the bit in. I made the mistake of getting one without it, and the bit routinely binds up and falls out when I'm drilling, even just through hard wood or plastic. Metal is almost impossible.

For electrical work, a crimper, pliers, and wire cutters (the crimper usually has these built in, but I like having them separate). A test light will save you from all sorts of stupid mistakes, and make life a whole lot easier. You don't really have to know anything about what wires are where, just pick a spot and start poking until you find one that works. I'm sure blue's going to have something to say about this, but hey, it worked for me. :p:

As everyone can see, I don't do quite the fancy work that blue does.

Comment

Originally posted by jnorion
                An important note... if you're buying a drill, make sure you get one with a chuck key to tighten the bit in. I made the mistake of getting one without it, and the bit routinely binds up and falls out when I'm drilling, even just through hard wood or plastic. Metal is almost impossible.
                Or make sure that it has a Jaccob's wratcheting key less chuck. As I said I have no issues with 3/4" steel and a 1/2" bit
                --JJB--
                '02 Silver Protegé5 - 5sp - no performance mods, no plans for them
                Kenwood Z919 -- Polk Audio speakers
                16" alloys w/ 205/50 Bridgestone RE750 (summer)
                15" steels w/ 195/55 Bridgestone Blizzak LM22 (winter)

Moon roof - wind deflector - variable intermittent wipers - electrochromic mirror w/ temp & compass
                Winter/beater car: 1997 Mercury Mountaineer with 182k on it

Comment

Working...
                X