is this speaker any good!!!!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

is this speaker any good!!!!

i was thinking of getting new subs and I was wondering if Infinity Kappa Perfect 12.1 were any good???? Here are the specs:

aluminum cone
    high-roll butyl-rubber surround
    massive cast-aluminum basket
    suitable for free-air use (handles up to 175 watts in free-air applications)
    recommended power range 75-350 watts RMS
    peak power handling 1,400 watts
    frequency response 18-200 Hz
    sensitivity 96 dB
    top mount depth 6-1/8"
    sealed box volume: 1.0 cu. ft.
    ported box volume: 1.75 cu. ft.
    Recommended Box Type: 1, 3
    DO WHAT YOU DO!!!

2 things, watch your box size, and also, make sure you can throw down at least 300 watts rms to that sub. IMO

now for the doggin'.. i've heard alot of good and bad things about infinity (mostly about the reference series subs), personally, i think you're better off getting something that you CAN'T source at circuit city, many people recommend JL.. the discovery of Elemental Designs has also yielded some promise.. a no bull**** speaker, a no bull price. eh, so i don't know about kappas, hopefully someone can point you in the right direction.
    peace

Comment

Kappa perfect are good subs. not the best, definitly not the worse. I used to have a 10" I liked it but I didnt like the way it sounded all the time.. like the bass sound didnt sound deep enough and I noticed it in my friends 12 also so i know it wasnt a size issue.. just sounded funny to me thats all but still good

Comment

while infinity subs are good, they are a bit over-hyped, same with their components. i blame crutchfield for that they need a large box, and i see you got your specs from crutchfield, by the box type 1,3 also, don't believe that sensitivity rating, it's the in car rating, not in an open enviroment like 99% of all other subs the actual sensitivity is around 85 dB. the excursion on it is 14.1 mm, so it'll hit the low notes pretty well. depending on the price you get it for, it could be worth the money.

course for $135 you can get a K-series 12 from elemental design that is a superior sub, IMO.

Comment

Originally posted by blue LEDz
          don't believe that sensitivity rating, it's the in car rating, not in an open enviroment like 99% of all other subs the actual sensitivity is around 85 dB.
          Brian - I'd find it hard to believe that the actual sensitivity is that low.

I know they list it as 96db or something crazy like that, but 85? I doubt it.

I used a Perfect and an RF Punch HX2 in the same enclosure (not at the same time ). The HX2 is rated at 85, I believe.

The difference is night and day. While my enclosure was pretty small for either one, the was a LOT more bass out of the Infinity. The RF barely got moving with the same power.

As far as Infinity woofers - I like 'em, and I use 'em now. I've got Kappas (not the Perfects), but I had a Perfect 10 (until I blew it).

IMO, Infinity is a very good all around performer. Will not be the loudest, and won't handle gobs of juice. But the sound quality is there.

There are probably better woofers out there, but if you can find a deal on Infinity, it's a good sub. My Kappas cost me $75 each shipeed off eBay

~HH

Comment

i was going by what winISD says some manufacturers rate at 1 watt, one meter, others 2.83 volts at 1 meter. the 96, being in-car measurement is total crap, though

Comment

Working...
            X