DIY roll cage

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

DIY roll cage

I am building a low cost rally car....i wanna do a rool cage myself and weld it

I was wondering what you guys use ( steel, gage ) and what would be the important point to reinforce.

Any pics or your cages or plans and mesurements would be greatly apreciated..

Thanks
    sigpicYEAH!!!!

If you ever wanted to compete, you would have to follow the sanctioning body rules for your area. If I had to guess, that would be CARS (http://www.carsrally.ca/CARSRally/) In the US it's NASA (http://www.nasarallysport.com/) and RallyAmerica (http://www.rally-america.com/index.php). Otherwise, most people in the US at least use 1-1/2 and 1-3/4" DOM tubing .095 to .120 thickness. If you want simple roll-over protection a basic four point cage with at least one diagonal brace would be a good start.

-Jon R.

Comment

I did a roll cage for my 4wd project.Here's some low quality pics.

Tubes:

Size is 38*4mm
      Reinforcement:

Painted parts:

I did a cage to the roof and weld the other bars to it.

I think you should reinforce those spotwelds on the struttop

Comment

id recommend paying a pro to weld it, if your not confident that you can weld good.

i mean, you could rock with a welder, but if you dont, it means disqualification, or that death thing.
        Next!
        sigpic

Comment

yeah no cage is better than a poorly done cage.... just more metal for them to have to cut you out of
          "Discontent is the first necessity of progress."
          -Thomas A. Edison

"There is a fine line between ballin' on a budget, and dreamin' on an empty wallet."

*Junked* 92 mx3, BP swap- milage whore, beaten up and down the east coast
          *Junked* KLZE powered 323 on Megasquirt 1
          172.60HP & 156.93 TQ with only headers and short ram intake. back under the knife for a BPT swap.
          New Daily stock 1.6L 1999 Mazda Protege LX

Comment

Originally posted by Tuomas View Post
            I did a roll cage for my 4wd project.Here's some low quality pics.
            looks good. any reason you didn't add a harness bar?
            "Discontent is the first necessity of progress."
            -Thomas A. Edison

"There is a fine line between ballin' on a budget, and dreamin' on an empty wallet."

*Junked* 92 mx3, BP swap- milage whore, beaten up and down the east coast
            *Junked* KLZE powered 323 on Megasquirt 1
            172.60HP & 156.93 TQ with only headers and short ram intake. back under the knife for a BPT swap.
            New Daily stock 1.6L 1999 Mazda Protege LX

Comment

i need to learn how to weld so i can build a rollcage for myself
              ---Has ClubProtege helped you in someway? show your support by Contributing--- Click Here---

1992- project FE3..... 313 WHP @ 9.3psi

I pet my dash when I get into the car..."good car"
              he actually has a mazda tree, parts grow on it

Comment

I've done about 5 so far and helped on a few more. One of my cages even got roll tested!!! If you're truly worried about safety, then yes, have someone who knows what they are doing install it. They can be deadly if done wrong/poorly and like it was said earlier, it would be safer to not have one at all. One you put a piece of cage tubing near you head, and don't wear a helmet, it'll hurt you that much more in an accident. I may have posted a picture of my car parked at my office, but I only live three turns away and I only drive the car about once every other month or so to work.

-Jon R.

Comment

i don't understand how it could be more dangerous besides impacting your body on it.
                  ---Has ClubProtege helped you in someway? show your support by Contributing--- Click Here---

Comment

A badly done cage can either be too rigid and kill you with transient G that otherwise woulda crumpled the car, or better yet kill you by coming apart and impaling you. I'd leave it to a pro, meself....
                    '90 AWD Protege, full GTR drivetrain swap, ~320 whp daily driver, RIP, and
                    '90 AWD Protege, yet another GTR swap, Open class rallycar with a Toyota GT4 gearbox swap, thus crossing the line between hobby and mental illness. And a Brabus E55 K8, removing all doubt.
                    http://www.wihandyman.com/forum/vbpi...?do=view&g=110
                    http://www.cardomain.com/ride/2599486

Comment

Originally posted by MD323 View Post
                      looks good. any reason you didn't add a harness bar?
                      The cage is not complete in these pictures.I tried to keep it as simple as possible.I've done it so that it won't be in a way when going in or out and the backseat is in it's place.
                      You should put at least 4mm thick plates over rear wheels arches (if you're gonna weld any bars there).I think they are the weakest places in there.Just buy different shapes etc. > 4mm thick steel.
                      I wouldn't be afraid of diy cage if you're not a pro welder.Building as supportive as possible and welding with at least 1mm vent between bars to make a good connection.Use seamless bars and reinforce every place where you're gonna weld.Don't use bolt connections.

Comment

why not weld that rear diagonal bar to the strut tower?

Comment

Originally posted by bpt323 View Post
                          why not weld that rear diagonal bar to the strut tower?
                          I've done it but it doesn't show in these pictures.I'll post some pictures later.

Comment

Working...
                          X