This is a sticky topic.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

My BG hatch V6 swap, rear brake upgrade, etc

Today I pulled the B6 and subframe, clearing up room in the bay for the KLZE.

I looked at the a-arms and they look to be the same on the BG and K8 but I think the problem may be in the hub geometry for those with axle problems. I didn't really have time to make any in-depth comparisons as I had to move the BG subframe (I'm running out of real estate).

My swap will use MX3 front subframe w/ sway bar, mx3 hubs with the bigger brakes, mx3 mounts. I'm keeping the manual steering rack to save weight and space in the engine bay. I'll be using a Probe/MX6 radiator, and sit it in front of the upper radiator support. There is a slight difference between the Probe and MX6 rads - the Probe passenger inlet is straight on and the mx6 has a slight angle toward the pass. side fender - this was so that the Probe rad could clear the pop-up headlights on the Ford body. Either one should work though.

I'm also upgrading the rear brakes - actually swapping out the full subframe/sway bar/tie bar/disk brakes from the MX3 as well just to make it easier.

I was considering upgrading to 5-lug, but the 4x100 wheels are cheaper and more abundant in 15-16" variety and there is a large pool of used items from the Honda/Toyota crowd. I don't really want to spend a fortune on this project.

The wheels I picked are 16x7 with 205/40/16 Falken ZIEX tires. The sidewall is short and stiff so really good transmission mounts are a must to minimize wheel hop so I'll fill them over the next couple of days. I was getting wheelhop with the stock B6!

For wiring, I'll again be using the MX3 issue with the MX3 ECU. I might switch to a Probe ECU because I only have air meters from the 2.5L. Axles and shift linkage also come from the MX3.

I was lucky that I found a '92 MX3 V6 that I could pick anything I wanted out of. You can do the swap with less than what I have, but I like things easy if possible.

I'll be working on it a little at a time over the next week or so. I still have to freshen up the ZE with a new timing belt/tensioner and valve cover gaskets.

Here are some photos from today:

11 am:

I'm gonna miss all the room:

New wheel fitment - I like how they kind of look like GTX issue shoes:

2 hrs later:

So cute!

Time to clean this thing up - I hate dirty engine bays!

That's it for today, even for Cali weather it got cold & dark quickly. For exhaust I'm gonna make a 2.5" OD setup with a magnaflow muffler (I'm going to try tucking it under the rear bumper, I don'tcare much for blinged out m ufflers). I'm still debating on whether I want to put in the Bosal headers or not. I think I will have enough power with the stock logs, plus it sounds better through them. I'll probably just modify the Bosals into long tubes for my RWD Probe GT.

More to come in the next few days.
    '90 Mazda 323 - V6 KLDE, supercharged, right-hand drive, build log
    '93 Ford Probe GT - a few mods...
    10.24 @ 139.5 mph [16 psi] - Timeslip
    490whp, 447 wtq @ 20psi - Dyno sheet

Sub'n
    1993 Protege LX-Midnight's shadow SOLD
    1996 Honda CBR600-Wrecked. Damn Honda crippled me
    2002 mazda MPV-family truckster SOLD
    2010 VW routon

Originally posted by jay
    .....they totally underestimated the number of gearheads such as myself that have families but refuse to grow the hell up and stop playing with cars, or that otherwise see the utility of having 4 doors. Obviously I ain't alone, as there are a helluva lotta sti and evo here. Bueler? Beuler? Mazda? Mazda?

Comment

cribed

1996 ST205 Toyota Celica GT4 | 1991 BG 323 Astina GT, BP N/A 138WHP *Gone*.
      1990 BG Ford Laser S (jdm), soon to be 220whp KL-ZE track hack

Comment

keepin an eye on this
        "Discontent is the first necessity of progress."
        -Thomas A. Edison

"There is a fine line between ballin' on a budget, and dreamin' on an empty wallet."

*Junked* 92 mx3, BP swap- milage whore, beaten up and down the east coast
        *Junked* KLZE powered 323 on Megasquirt 1
        172.60HP & 156.93 TQ with only headers and short ram intake. back under the knife for a BPT swap.
        New Daily stock 1.6L 1999 Mazda Protege LX

Comment

pull the motor out the probe and put it in teh 323...

stickied!!

Comment

nice wheels. definately look sharp on the 323.

JACK.
            -Jack

ONTARIO MAZDA CLUB! Join! https://www.facebook.com/groups/500055016671733/

91 626 LX - basically stock and pretty slow still
            http://www.clubprotege.com/forum/sho...my-GD-626-LX-)

01 E53 3.0i - FOR SALE! pm if interested

91 USDM Protege LX - SOLD! turbo/manifold up for sale!
            http://www.clubprotege.com/forum/showthread.php?t=46606

Comment

do yourself a favor & keep the 323 subframe in the car. put a zx2 sway bar in with the mx3 LCA's & have a wider track then even the mx3 does. the protege subframe is wider then the mx3 one
              ---Has ClubProtege helped you in someway? show your support by Contributing--- Click Here---

1992- project FE3..... 313 WHP @ 9.3psi

I pet my dash when I get into the car..."good car"
              he actually has a mazda tree, parts grow on it

Comment

Subbin

Comment

I did a little work today, mostly cleanup.

I pulled the BP wiring harness (ECU-to-engine and the engine bay fuse box with battery terminals) and cleaned the firewall and framerails. Almost 2 decades of crap makes for an ugly sight.

Engine bay before & after:

Many rags, and some soapy water later:

B6 Computer residence (ECU removed):

Detail of B6 wiring:

B6 wiring removed:

Comparison of B6 and K8 wiring harnesses - the KL has an extra yellow ECU plug, and the capped white plug that's visible on the K8 harness is tucked in the middle of the loom on the B6:

The ECU will mount in the same spot, and all other plugs should fall right into place for an OEM look (my favorite). The engine bay side should do the same in the fuse block region. I'll install the wiring tomorrow or wednesday as well as clean up the K8 subframe and mount that as well. Then I'll start cleaning up the KL engine and putting her up.

For smog purposes, I will install all the emissions equipment (EGR pipe, valve & solenoids) but it will not be functional because the Millenia manifold I'm using blocks the EGR input at the cyl. head mating surface. Because the Millenia flows better than the K8, I'll be using that manifold. When the time comes to smog the car, I'll put the K8 manifold back on and I'll have fully functioning EGR. Trying to pass the KL as a B-series will be an entirely different matter, but I'll cross that bridge in 2 years when I have to smog it again.

Comment

everything looks good!. very pretty when cleaned! the capped plug is a ground block connection. basically just jumpering wires is all
                    ---Has ClubProtege helped you in someway? show your support by Contributing--- Click Here---

Comment

Nice and clean. I hope when I drop my motor in I clean my bay up lol.
                      1993 Protege LX-Midnight's shadow SOLD
                      1996 Honda CBR600-Wrecked. Damn Honda crippled me
                      2002 mazda MPV-family truckster SOLD
                      2010 VW routon

Originally posted by jay
                      .....they totally underestimated the number of gearheads such as myself that have families but refuse to grow the hell up and stop playing with cars, or that otherwise see the utility of having 4 doors. Obviously I ain't alone, as there are a helluva lotta sti and evo here. Bueler? Beuler? Mazda? Mazda?

Comment

i hope so too, nothing sexier then a clean swap

Comment

very nice so far
                          91 protege gt. dropzone mx3 springs, mx3 crossmember, ractive front and rear strut braces, rear lower mx3 brace, 4 wheel disc brakes, corksport ss brake and clutch lines,kvr front pads, ractive cai,ram air hood scoop, modified front bumper, shaved ant and rear trunk lock, fubu ant, short shifter, corksport bronzeoil shifter bushings,92 glass sunroof and tail lights, mx3 center console, autometer gauges (volt and oil pressure) cluster needles painted to match, sound system, 17 inch eagle alloy 193 with 205 40 17 rubber. klze is ALIVE BABY!! . http://www.cardomain.com/ride/2394656http://www.toprotege.com/forums/show...hlight=project[url]

Comment

im going to be doing the swap myself... good pics and info... im gonna keep my eye on this too

Comment

Today I cleaned up the uber nasty mx3 subframes and installed them up. No more drum brakes! I have to pick up the disc brake parking brake cables this weekend (50% off at Pick-n-Pull) along with a few things.

Another thing I want to add are the cabin-release gas door. That keyhole on the gas door is ugly as sin, so I'll grab the cable, lever and gas door from a Pro and put them up. I'll try to get the hatch to open the same way so I can have both levers in there.

I got the rear subframe up as well. It's about 3/4" wider than the 323 from a quick dirty measurement. The 16x7 wheels just touch the struts in the back so I need ~6-8 mm spacer back there. The front is fine. I added Jamex lowering springs on GR-2 struts (used).

Nasty, nasty....

Much better:

Installed:

Front Jamex springs installed, but no engine, so I expect almost no gap:

The trunk, equally messy, will be equally clean when I'm through:

Does anyone else have water intrusion? Where is it coming from? On my first gen. Probe it would leak in through the tail light mounting holes. I need to drill some drain holes under that. This car has 0 rust and I'd like to keep it that way.

Subframe comparo, MX3 V6 foreground, BG drummed back:

Naked:

That's all for today. Rain is forecast for the next 3 days so I'll be indoors getting the ZE freshened up and ready to go in next week.

Comment

Working...
                              X