Newbie from Ontario, Canada....eh

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Newbie from Ontario, Canada....eh

Hey everybody. Well, I just picked up my Protege today, and this site was the first one that popped up when I googled 'Mazda Protege'. This seems like a cool site, reading a few threads here and there...everybody seems really helpful and knowledgeable. I was a part of a forum like this when I had my '88 honda accord.....for like 2 weeks.

Anyways, I got my Protege for $600 after taxes and everything. Its a green 1994 DX, 5 speed, with 224,xxx Kms. I was suprised when I saw it, especially looking at the physical condition of the car. It looks great... barely any rust, and the interior is mint. Here are some pics.

Sorry the pics aren't great. I just took them now...it's dark out and it's -14°C so I was kind of shaking.

Ayways, I wasen't really allowed to drive it around at the dealer, because it's not certified, so I went ahead and just bought it.

Mechanically, I think it is in pretty descent shape. It does need a few things; handbrake cable, wiper linkages, and a hood latch...that i can think of. I actually don't know how involved those things are, so if anybody could let me know what they think, that would be awesome. I also wouldn't mind knowing how much a descent mechanic would charge for those things to be fixed. It actually makes this squealing sound as well...usually when I am in a low gear accelerating or when I down shift. I think (and hope) its just a belt. Again, if anybody has any ideas let me know.

I think it drives pretty nice. I've only ever driven one other standard car, and that was my buddy's '93 protege, so maybe i don't even know better.

I guess that's about it. I do have plans in terms of audio for the car. I work at Future Shop in that department so I have pretty good hook-ups. Other than that I'm going to just drive it and love it.

Looking forward to getting to know some of you,

-Justin
    1993 Protege SE

kewl another Canadian. welcome to the club you will find A Lot of knowledgeable people in here. hood latch is the easiest you listed just a few bolts and easy to get to. wiper linkage next easiest part you ll have to remove the cowl cover but thats easy and a few 10mm nuts that hold the wiper linkage down. e brake well prepare to get pissed, yell, scream, bust knuckles, ect ect.... but if your lucky it will be nice and come out easy but they never do. Sounds like belt is loose on your alternator. im sure most everyone's belts have done that @ one point or the other.
    keep us posted on updates on your Pro we all love to see people adding their styling to thier pros
    Check out the Pics
    sigpic
    http://www.wihandyman.com/forum/vbpi...?do=view&g=228
    Mazda's Rule Honda's Drool

Comment

Welcome to clubprotege Justin Enjoy your stay. This is 1 of the best site for 1st gens around so if there's a question that needs to be answered it might have already been answered already. Just do a search and if you still can't find the answer you were looking for than just post a new thread. Enjoy
      1993 Protege LX-Midnight's shadow SOLD
      1996 Honda CBR600-Wrecked. Damn Honda crippled me
      2002 mazda MPV-family truckster SOLD
      2010 VW routon

Originally posted by jay
      .....they totally underestimated the number of gearheads such as myself that have families but refuse to grow the hell up and stop playing with cars, or that otherwise see the utility of having 4 doors. Obviously I ain't alone, as there are a helluva lotta sti and evo here. Bueler? Beuler? Mazda? Mazda?

Comment

welcome Justin i'm just on the other side of the lake from you.

with the exception of the brake cables ( get these NEW) get the parts from a wrecker or ...... hmmm wait ... car audio dept .... i do have a parts car with most of the parts u need ... hmmmmmmmm

Comment

lol, lemme see first mazdanoob, I'm not sure if i'm even keeping the car at this point.

I was driving it around a bit today, and its makin alot of noise comin from underneath the car while you are driving, like loud clunks. It only clunks when you go over a small bump, but it sounds louder that it should be. Also, i just started it up now, and suddenly the engine is really loud. It is pretty cold out...but still. After I noticed the engine being loud, I let it run for almost 10 minutes..and when it was still loud, i decided to take it for a little boot. Even when i got back, the noise comin from the engine was alot louder and deeper than I think it should be. And it's not the muffler, the sound is definately comin from the front of the car.

So I'm not so sure now. I'm going to take it to my friend who is a mechanic...and see what he thinks. I'm prayin its nothin major, or nothing at all. Lol, i can be pretty paranoid.....
          1993 Protege SE

Comment

woot! woot! for another canadian! fix dat bish! they're cheap on gas foo! LOL

Comment

if the car sat @ the dealer for a long time like mine ( sat for over 2 years) you will have some maintenance to do. chances are you are going to need some exhaust work done ... shop around for that because prices will vary HUGELY between shops. dont get discouraged these pro's are really worth rebuilding. the results from a little cash here and there and alot of elbow grease are phenominal.

Comment

welcome to cp
                I live my life a quarter pounder at a time. And for those 500 calories or more, I'm free. I need FRIES! Two of them. The big ones. Oh, and I need them tonight. You're lucky the double shot of BBQ sauce didn't blow the seam on your nugget box. There she is, 2 pounds of pure beef. My dad ate it in 9.0 seconds flat. Check it out, it's like this. If I lose, winner takes my happy meal. But if I win, I take the burger and the toy. To some people, that's more important.

._________________________
                |.....Overnight....................| ||
                |.....Japan Parts.................| |'|";,___.
                |_..._...____________======||_|_|...,]
                "(@)'(@)""'''''''''''''"'''"**|(@)(@)*****"(@)
                Oh and by the way that shot in your banner with Vin Diesel's car getting shot, thats a civic not an altezza.

Comment

Working...
                X