MSII Stuck!!!! Frustrating!!!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

MSII Stuck!!!! Frustrating!!!

I am working on my megasquirt V3 board I have searched the MSEFI forums and our own forums and I cant seem to find my answer. What do I do at step 65. I am trying to apply this to a 91 LX and I am getting different ideas from all over but none of them answer my question. I know I have an optical sensor so I have soldered the board to accomidate that. But I am totaly stuck at step 65. What the heck do I do. I am fairly new to engine tuning but I am learning a ton as I go and this one thing I just can't find. Please someone help..... this forum is the only place I trust for a factual answer, everywhere else the answer is mixed.
    sigpicGet Gnarly

But with the throttle screwed on, there is only the barest margin, and no room at all for mistakes. It has to be done right... and that's when the strange music starts, when you stretch your luck so far that fear becomes exhilaration and vibrates along your arms. You can barely see at a hundred; the tears blow back so fast that they vaporize before they get to your ears. The only sounds are the wind and a dull roar floating back from the mufflers. You watch the white line and try to lean with it... howling through a turn to the right, then to the left, and down the long hill to Pacifica... letting off now, watching for cops, but only until the next dark stretch and another few seconds on the edge... The Edge... There is no honest way to explain it because the only people who really know where it is are the ones who have gone over. The others- the living- are those who pushed their luck as far as they felt they could handle it, and then pulled back, or slowed down, or did whatever they had to when it came time to choose between Now and Later. But the edge is still Out there. Or maybe it's In. The association of motorcycles with LSD is no accident of publicity. They are both a means to an end, to the place of definitions.

What is step 65 exactly?

Comment

65. It is choice time again. In this case, you will decide whether to populate the high-current ignition driver circuit. This circuit can be used to drive a single coil in a distributor application. In conjunction with an appropriate input signal (from a VR, Hall, or optical sensor, or even points), it allows you to eliminate a separate ignition module, such as a GM HEI 7 or 8 pin module, and run the coil directly from MegaSquirt.
      sigpicGet Gnarly

But with the throttle screwed on, there is only the barest margin, and no room at all for mistakes. It has to be done right... and that's when the strange music starts, when you stretch your luck so far that fear becomes exhilaration and vibrates along your arms. You can barely see at a hundred; the tears blow back so fast that they vaporize before they get to your ears. The only sounds are the wind and a dull roar floating back from the mufflers. You watch the white line and try to lean with it... howling through a turn to the right, then to the left, and down the long hill to Pacifica... letting off now, watching for cops, but only until the next dark stretch and another few seconds on the edge... The Edge... There is no honest way to explain it because the only people who really know where it is are the ones who have gone over. The others- the living- are those who pushed their luck as far as they felt they could handle it, and then pulled back, or slowed down, or did whatever they had to when it came time to choose between Now and Later. But the edge is still Out there. Or maybe it's In. The association of motorcycles with LSD is no accident of publicity. They are both a means to an end, to the place of definitions.

Comment

I thought I was supposed to put a resistor in the S12 slot, but I dont think that is what I am suppposed to be doing.
        sigpicGet Gnarly

Comment

wow good luck with that
          I live my life a quarter pounder at a time. And for those 500 calories or more, I'm free. I need FRIES! Two of them. The big ones. Oh, and I need them tonight. You're lucky the double shot of BBQ sauce didn't blow the seam on your nugget box. There she is, 2 pounds of pure beef. My dad ate it in 9.0 seconds flat. Check it out, it's like this. If I lose, winner takes my happy meal. But if I win, I take the burger and the toy. To some people, that's more important.

._________________________
          |.....Overnight....................| ||
          |.....Japan Parts.................| |'|";,___.
          |_..._...____________======||_|_|...,]
          "(@)'(@)""'''''''''''''"'''"**|(@)(@)*****"(@)
          Oh and by the way that shot in your banner with Vin Diesel's car getting shot, thats a civic not an altezza.

Comment

it's easy. if you are going to install a vb921 to directly drive your coil follow that step. If you are going to use your stock ignitor which is less common, you don't have to install the high current driver. Most people do step 65.

Comment

I thought it was the other way. I thought you jumpered R11 and R12 if you were going to use stock igniter.

94 Protege LX: HX-35, Megasquit, ect...
              98 Subaru Legacy GT-DD: 1 inch lift, and all the standard N/A stuff.

Comment

I was referring to following the step or not.

Comment

Well the manual makes it Ohh so clear! I am still unsure, so you are saying that useing the stock ignitor I should skip this step? I am undoubtedly going to have to unsolder some jumpers. I am unsure if I should use a vb921. Do you know how much they cost, is it hard to apply that part to my car?
                  sigpicGet Gnarly

Comment

Here's a kit

And just the vb921

I chose to use a stock igniter, but some day I might go with the vb921s.

Comment

Originally posted by photoeye0 View Post

Thanks for the link. Is that for MS-1 or 2 though? I know certain parts are specific.
                      So for the stock ignitor what did you do at step 65?
                      Is there a way to do step 65 then complete this circut to make it so that it doesn't work until you clip a jumper? I know this is done in other steps but I am unsure with this one.
                      It (the manual) is very generic with the terms (understandably so), but for someone like me who is learn very much as I move along it makes it somewhat difficult. Thanks for the continued help though. I may be asking other question since you guys have done them already. The reason I would like to finish this step and jumper it to complete the circuit is because I have installed a couple of the components already, but If i must desolder I must.
                      Last edited by maz057; 01-15-2008, 08:08 AM.
                      sigpicGet Gnarly

Comment

When I was installing D12 I just bent one of the leads over to the other and soldered them together. That way I can always cut it if I have to. I can post pix tonight if you need...I'm at work right now.

Comment

I am also working currently otherwise I would have it in front of me to refrence. But yes please Pictures always make it that much more logical. :microwave man I feel like this little yellow guy right now.
                          sigpicGet Gnarly

Comment

Here's the front of my board premods

And the back of my board postmods

And a close up on the jumper on D12 from the back side

All I did was install D2 as normal, but instead of clipping the both leads of I just clipped one and bent the other over and solder it to the other side. So that way if I do need D2 I can just clip it.

I hope that helps...
                            Last edited by photoeye0; 01-16-2008, 10:17 PM. Reason: Wrong diode number

Comment

Ok so I F-ed up a little...I meant D2 which for the jumper, but that's a different step all together. So just disregard that.

If you are going to use a single coil do 65 that way you will not need the stock igniter, like Lex said. I was confused, a little rusty, and I didn't read your question right. There is no way that I know of to make a jumper for that step.

But if you want to use wasted spark, which is what I chose to do, you have a few more options. I'm setting mine up like a miata using a stock wasted spark igniter. I chose to use a stock igniter because it make the board mods a little easer and the great thing about making it yourself is you can easily change it down the road if your unhappy with it.

Sorry for any confusion...

Comment

Working...
                              X