Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

rear swaybar bracket breaking (drivers side)

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

rear swaybar bracket breaking (drivers side)

has anyone else had the experience of having the rear swaybar bushing bracket break on them..... i've seen it twice in the last week..... helped fix it both times too....ha...

anyways its been a noted thing now to only happen on the drivers side.... what or why would this happen???

any ideas???

DARRYL... any thoughts?
    Last edited by FE3-323; 12-15-2003, 11:15 PM.
    ---Has ClubProtege helped you in someway? show your support by Contributing--- Click Here---

1992- project FE3..... 313 WHP @ 9.3psi

I pet my dash when I get into the car..."good car"
    he actually has a mazda tree, parts grow on it

You saw it on a Protege?

It shouldn't happen with the stock bar. I believe Davard had his break, but that was the Quickor (1") bar.
    My ClubProtege.com Feedback Thread

MOSI Race Dynamics
    - Aftermarket Parts Sales & Services MOSI Race Dynamics Feedback Thread

Comment

what sway bar was being used when you saw the broken brackets?

As Mike said, shouldn't happen with the stock bar, unless the brackets were abnormally weak or not installed properly. I have the ST bar and have not had any problems. and Ya Davard not only bent out the brackets a few times, but broke the suspension arm that holds the bar and endlink bolt.

Comment

Was the bracket rusty? Did you ever hear any abnormal noises before it actually broke? Ever since I installed my ST bar I've been having a problem with poping noises coming out from the back whenever the frame of the car bends....... Gotta re-install that mofo soon.
        -------------------------
        '91 LX
        '03 Mazdaspeed Protege #235
        -------------------------

Originally posted by pigeon
        well if you're a fan of inaccuracy and uncertainty.... then by all means, go set your timing by feel and sound

while you're out there, you might as well adjust your air/fuel ratio by smell... and your tire pressure by ride height

Comment

both brackets were on a STOCK 90 and 91 protege LX
          both cars were driven in MIchigan WIsconsin or Minnnesota for their entire lives... for the life of me I can't understand why the braket broke with the stock bar.
          both brackets were broke right at where the bend begins after the bolt hole.

I personally wasn't driving the cars when they broke so i can't verify for abnormal noises... however when both cars were purchased (multiple owners and this was not a problemwhen bought.)
          the second car I noticed this on, was the 90 Lx; I had personally inspected and gone through before it was sold to my friend.
          and it was fine when purchased...might have been weak.. im not sure.
          ---Has ClubProtege helped you in someway? show your support by Contributing--- Click Here---

1992- project FE3..... 313 WHP @ 9.3psi

I pet my dash when I get into the car..."good car"
          he actually has a mazda tree, parts grow on it

Comment

If the endlionks where either too tight or too loose, that could cause bracket failure...but i'm gonna go with rust and northern climate abuse...probably just a coincidence that they broke on the same side and you happened to see 2 of them broken....

they aren't the greatest design by any means, but i haven't heard of broken brackets too often, especially on a stock set up.

Comment

You guys are making me want to check now... hmmm

he said "bolt hole"... ah ha ha ha
              1998 Subaru Forester S/Turbo | Shaggin' Wagon
              1990 Mazda Miata MX5 | WTF I can drag asphalt with my hand
              2003 MuZ Baghira 660 SM | Single Slammer
              2008 KTM 250sx 2T Supermoto | Kart Track Killer

Shift_Buy Broken & Build...

Comment

Originally posted by bpt323
                both brackets were on a STOCK 90 and 91 protege LX
                both cars were driven in MIchigan WIsconsin or Minnnesota for their entire lives... for the life of me I can't understand why the braket broke with the stock bar.
                both brackets were broke right at where the bend begins after the bolt hole.

I personally wasn't driving the cars when they broke so i can't verify for abnormal noises... however when both cars were purchased (multiple owners and this was not a problemwhen bought.)
                the second car I noticed this on, was the 90 Lx; I had personally inspected and gone through before it was sold to my friend.
                and it was fine when purchased...might have been weak.. im not sure.
                that happened to mine, im replacing it. i have a clunk like a mazdaspeed...it just like happened-but mine isnt a stock set up...and im kinda rough on it

Comment

I broke the swaybar mounting bracket loose on the right side when the car was still stock and under warranty. The little welds just broke. After breaking one side with the Quickor bar, I rewelded both brackets (temporarily, and later with the subframe out of the car, I rewelded everything).

I've also bent/broke/straightened numerous brackets, both with the stock bar, the ST rear bar (which uses the stock brackets), and the Quickor (the first set of brackets were over-ground... I haven't straightened the one I ground myself).

I also managed to break both of the front swaybar brackets, which appear to be the same as the rear pieces. Fortunately, they aren't as hard to replace as the whole swaybar. I used a long extension to break the bolt loose, and then could access them from the wheel wells.
                  David Avard
                  '90 Protege LX (STS-prepped)
                  '89 Civic Si (STS-prepped)
                  '02 Altima SE (14.164 @ 97.7mph stock)

Comment

OT: welding equipment

Originally posted by Davard
                    I broke the swaybar mounting bracket loose on the right side when the car was still stock and under warranty. The little welds just broke. After breaking one side with the Quickor bar, I rewelded both brackets (temporarily, and later with the subframe out of the car, I rewelded everything).

I've also bent/broke/straightened numerous brackets, both with the stock bar, the ST rear bar (which uses the stock brackets), and the Quickor (the first set of brackets were over-ground... I haven't straightened the one I ground myself).

I also managed to break both of the front swaybar brackets, which appear to be the same as the rear pieces. Fortunately, they aren't as hard to replace as the whole swaybar. I used a long extension to break the bolt loose, and then could access them from the wheel wells.
                    What did you use to re-weld them, a mig welder or oxy torch?
                    Just asking because I'm looking to buy a welder soon, as I'll need it for the custom work needed when I put a BP and Miata gearbox in my Datto. Don't know which to get first. The local welding supply shop has either a mig welder or oxy for around $300 - $400 for everything I need to get started.

thnx
                    Bryan
                    MOCC MEMBER

-"Mean people rule."

Originally posted by midnightblue97
                    Thought the oil pump was run off the timing belt??

Comment

Originally posted by zenilder
                      What did you use to re-weld them, a mig welder or oxy torch?
                      Just asking because I'm looking to buy a welder soon, as I'll need it for the custom work needed when I put a BP and Miata gearbox in my Datto. Don't know which to get first. The local welding supply shop has either a mig welder or oxy for around $300 - $400 for everything I need to get started.

thnx
                      Oxy-acetylene welding is almost a lost art. Usually only muffler guys use it anymore (and only old ones). MIG seems to have pretty much replaced it, although for delicate work (like roll cages), the TIG is still the thing to use.

I used a flux-core MIG welder to weld it. It's a lot easier to do with the subframe out of the car, as the control arms tend to get in the way otherwise.

For a first welder, a flux-core MIG welder is hard to beat anymore.
                      David Avard
                      '90 Protege LX (STS-prepped)
                      '89 Civic Si (STS-prepped)
                      '02 Altima SE (14.164 @ 97.7mph stock)

Comment

welders are more "versitiale" i have a mig/tig machine on its way. stupid customs is holding it. it's not a bomb it is a fcuk'n welder!!! so yeah 3 weeks w/o a welder is getting kinda hard. i love welding in the winter. it warms my uncle's shop up real quick.
                        When you turn your car on... does it return the favor?

Originally posted by goldstar
                        Yes, still have it. It was my attempt to immortalize you in verse.

A Protege driver named Brock
                        Once said 7 seconds he'd clock.
                        So his engine he goosed
                        With much too much boost,
                        And drove a rod through his block.

Comment

Sorry to revive this thread for not much of a purpose, but I was just browsing through some old threads - just a newbie pokin' around. I've also seen the same thing, a broken sway bar bracket. I got an 89 Sentra a while back for a couple hundred bucks, and the rear driver's side sway bar bracket had broken on it as well. I think the culprit in my case was rust, though - it was a pretty rare thing to find a part on that car that wasn't rusted...

Never heard of a sway bar bracket breaking from stress, though.
                          1990 Red NA6
                          16.43@81mph
                          15" Heliums | 195/50 ZE512's | 14° BTDC | DIY cowl induction | Front tower brace | BSP f/r subframe braces | Style bar | Redline Goods shift boot | Mazda6 shift knob | DIY mesh TSI's | Factory badging removed | JDM Roadster emblem | Pivot controller

sigpic

1991 Black BG LX
                          Unknown
                          16° BTDC | Cone filter | HID conversion | Tinted taillights

Comment

Originally posted by mike_moss
                            You saw it on a Protege?

It shouldn't happen with the stock bar. I believe Davard had his break, but that was the Quickor (1") bar.
                            I just fixed mine last month with a stock sway bar.
                            c+p>c<c+d1>c+p<m+d2>m<m+f>f<c+p>m<m+f>f<f+s1>c+p<c +s2>c<c+p>

2002 Mazda Protégé 5 , 5-speed , poly engine mounts , 4 to 1 header , JIC-Magic semi titanium cat back , custom CAI , Tokiko hp struts , Vogtland springs , Mazdaspeed sway-bar kit , Megan racing TTL's , Megan Racing trailing arms , pedders control arm bushings , corksport clutch line and shifter bushings , Tiger Tuning rear panel with V brace , Black sedan headlights with 6000k H.I.D.'s , M3 mirrors , Audio by Alpine , Kicker and just getting started.

Comment

Working...
                            X