my auto tranny DX only starts in neutral

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

my auto tranny DX only starts in neutral

anyone know how to adjust the switch on the automatic tranny shifter? I can't start my car in Park, only in Neutral.

Anyone ever heard of this , know how to fix it?
    NOW WITH SPINNER HUB CAPS

it's a known problem with the automatic transmission on the protege, though it's nearly impossible for me to tell you exactly how to adjust the shifter linkage as i am without camera and scanner for the moment. if you can, pick up a haynes manual, this is covered in FULL detail in chapter 7b. basically, whats involved is ripping out the rear part of your console, then the front bottom portion w/ pocket and pull the thing completely out... exposed around the shifter is the linkage. honestly, i have no idea why it would come out of whack, except to suggest the adjustment and you'd be fine
    good luck
    peace

Comment

THANK YOU!!!!!!!!!!!,

For some reason I thought i had been having problems with the starter, battery or etc, until my friend told me to move the shifter up and down (no engine running) to loosen up the linkage. Finally i got my car started in the neutral position. Wierd right?

you are a lifesaver, thanks!

Comment

i beleive it could be you neutral switch, may be on its way out
        No more protege, Mx-3 now...Only known BP powered Mx-3 in Nova Scotia

Comment

do u have any idea where it's located?

Comment

its usally on the tranny somewhere
            No more protege, Mx-3 now...Only known BP powered Mx-3 in Nova Scotia

Comment

Working...
            X