Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

91 GT - gas pedal is touchy

Hey guys,

My GT seems to have a really touchy gas pedal, especially in traffic when I am on and off the gas, in First gear. I am guessing that it may be the TPS, does that sound right? Or any other ideas?

Thanks,
    J
    1990 Turbo Miata
    1990 Miata - a few mods
    2002 Subaru WRX
    2002 Protege 5
    2000 CBR929RR 150Whp

Hey Protege Menace,

Yeah, that's what i am talking about. It just seems extra touchy. I was hoping that i could make an adjustment or something...thanks anyway.

J
    1990 Turbo Miata
    1990 Miata - a few mods
    2002 Subaru WRX
    2002 Protege 5
    2000 CBR929RR 150Whp

Comment

what RPM are you at when it happens?

the higher it gets abviously it will be more touchy. mines a little jerky at times to
      No more protege, Mx-3 now...Only known BP powered Mx-3 in Nova Scotia

Comment

have you checked how tight your throttle cable is? throttle cables that are very tight have a picky and sensitive gas pedel
        When you turn your car on... does it return the favor?

Originally posted by goldstar
        Yes, still have it. It was my attempt to immortalize you in verse.

A Protege driver named Brock
        Once said 7 seconds he'd clock.
        So his engine he goosed
        With much too much boost,
        And drove a rod through his block.

Comment

open your hood and maybe loosen the locknuts on the accelerator cable and adjust the cable maybe???
          1998 Subaru Forester S/Turbo | Shaggin' Wagon
          1990 Mazda Miata MX5 | WTF I can drag asphalt with my hand
          2003 MuZ Baghira 660 SM | Single Slammer
          2008 KTM 250sx 2T Supermoto | Kart Track Killer

Shift_Buy Broken & Build...

Comment

My gas pedal is really touchy too.
            -Robert
            '93 Protege Turbo LX 5-speed

-GTX VJ-20 turbo w/ custom downpipe, Haltech E6K Kit w/ 3Bar MAP sensor & O2 sensor (Engine Management System), .040 overbored pistons with slightly raised compression, Resurfaced cylinder head & valve job, GReddy Type-S BOV, Turbo XS boost controller, 450cc injectors, Walbro 255lph fuel pump, 22"x9"x3" FMIC, full 3" exhaust w/ Catco Catylic converter & Summit Turbo Muffler, ACT Clutch Kit (stage 2), Uretheane shifter bushing, Triple Gauge Pod w/ Boost, Air/Fuel Ratio, and Oil Pressure gauges, Falken Azenis Sport 195/60HR14 tires on steelies.

Comment

Originally posted by SpoolinPro93
              My gas pedal is really touchy too.
              wonder why:p:

Comment

I found when I increased my timing (by adjusting the distributor) the car became quite touchy off the line. This was my BP before I threw in the GTX engine.

Maybe retarding the timing a bit would help the "problem".
                Mik

2002 Protege Silver LX 2.0
                1990 Protege Black GTX
                http://members.cardomain.com/promik

Comment

It's probably not serious enough to start tinkering with. Unless you have a lot of spare time and another car to drive...
                  ~Mar.

Now say it with me... B-R-A-K-E.

Good job!

Comment

Why? All you would have to do is loosen the two adjusting screws on the distributor (after marking the current location), rotate the distributor (which direction I cannot remember- I think top toward the car) and retighten the screws. Drive it to see if it feels better, if not put it back to the original setting.
                    Mik

2002 Protege Silver LX 2.0
                    1990 Protege Black GTX
                    http://members.cardomain.com/promik

Comment

Originally posted by Semtex
                      wonder why:p:
                      Well not necessarily because of the turbo... i know what he means. It's like you're creeping in traffic and you have to have a sensitive foot to keep it in first and smoothly accelerate. It's especially worse with the ACT clutch because of how harshly it engages. It's cool though, no big deal to me.
                      -Robert
                      '93 Protege Turbo LX 5-speed

-GTX VJ-20 turbo w/ custom downpipe, Haltech E6K Kit w/ 3Bar MAP sensor & O2 sensor (Engine Management System), .040 overbored pistons with slightly raised compression, Resurfaced cylinder head & valve job, GReddy Type-S BOV, Turbo XS boost controller, 450cc injectors, Walbro 255lph fuel pump, 22"x9"x3" FMIC, full 3" exhaust w/ Catco Catylic converter & Summit Turbo Muffler, ACT Clutch Kit (stage 2), Uretheane shifter bushing, Triple Gauge Pod w/ Boost, Air/Fuel Ratio, and Oil Pressure gauges, Falken Azenis Sport 195/60HR14 tires on steelies.

Comment

Originally posted by SpoolinPro93
                        Well not necessarily because of the turbo... i know what he means. It's like you're creeping in traffic and you have to have a sensitive foot to keep it in first and smoothly accelerate. It's especially worse with the ACT clutch because of how harshly it engages. It's cool though, no big deal to me.
                        i know i was just fooling with ya

Comment

Originally posted by Mik
                          Why? All you would have to do is loosen the two adjusting screws on the distributor (after marking the current location), rotate the distributor (which direction I cannot remember- I think top toward the car) and retighten the screws. Drive it to see if it feels better, if not put it back to the original setting.
                          I think you need to jump TEN and GND on the diagnostic port, otherwise the ECU will just reset it.
                          2006 Mazda 3 hatchback manual

Comment

Working...
                          X