Importing a 90-94 GTX in Canada

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Importing a 90-94 GTX in Canada

Does anyone know what procedures I need to go through to import a car into Canada.

Who do I talk to about bringing the car overseas? Japenese Importer?

Does anyone know if there are any websites that declare to import cars?

Thanks alot, Steve

Newest you can import is 92. Has to be 15 years old to import.

You'll pay GST and Duty on the car, plus an RIV fee. Mine was already in Canada, so I can't help with companies.

Plus, they're a huge PITA to get insurance for. Nobody wants to touch them.
    sigpic
    2004 Subaru WRX STi
    2003 Toyota Highlander

Comment

http://66.49.219.41/ go there its tyee import in campbell river BC awesome guys down there and they can answer any question you may have about importing into canada
      Check out the Pics
      sigpic
      http://www.wihandyman.com/forum/vbpi...?do=view&g=228
      Mazda's Rule Honda's Drool

Comment

I know some insurance companies in the us have a category marked under specialties vehicle. And a few other insurance companies that cover classic to american muscle cars tend to have a specialties category. As for Canada I don't know.

Comment

Yeah, we have companies that will insure classic or modified vehicles too. Problem being, they want them to be for show use only.

It is possible to find a company, just takes quite a bit of research first. Have to catch the right person on the right day it seems.
          sigpic
          2004 Subaru WRX STi
          2003 Toyota Highlander

Comment

I.C.B.C has NO issues with imported vehicles as long as it can pass the province inspection they will insure it thats why you deal with company's like Tyee Imports that takes care of EVERYTHING like that. they guarantee that the vehicle will be insurable on Canada's roads. outside of Canada im not sure what people can do but given that most cant import these yet they don't have a issue yet
            Check out the Pics
            sigpic

Comment

try a company call adelay japan! i think thats the name.
              GOD INVENTED TURBO LAG TO GIVE THE V8 A CHANCE!!!!!
              AND
              THE DEVIL INVENTED THE ''ANTILAG'' TO SHOW THEM NO MERSEY!!!!

Comment

I was curious, I decided to call my insurance company, they said they would insure it like my N/A 323.

I guess for that to pass US inspections, if I decide to buy one from Japan. I figure the emissions setup is exactly the same. Probably just change out the headlights for DOT approved, replace the crash bar with us version and switch to a universal slim line intercooler and replace the rear bumper with us version also. Switch out the fog lights for slim line series because the US crash bar would interfere with the fitting. On my 323, I'm using a non butchered crash bar and I painted it with undercoating.

But in Canada, wonder how would they handle it?
                Last edited by Dijadoit; 01-31-2008, 02:59 AM.

Comment

as far as i know no retro fits are needed they pass all our laws that im aware of as long as it doesnt have automatic seat belts. thats why we cant import 1st gens from the states up here from what the local ICBC office states
                  Check out the Pics
                  sigpic

Comment

in BC you have to retro LHD facing headlights. That's the only stipulation I have seen.
                    Rest of the provinces don't care about that fact.
                    There are messes of R32 skylines around here now. I usually see 2-3 a day.
                    Drew
                    '95 EGT 1.8
                    T
                    '93 ELX 1.9 SC
                    '91 ELX 1.9

Comment

I had no problem importing my GTR, the guy I was buying it keeps the care to put the car street legal for the province of quebec. But i had to admit that finding an insurance is a bit tricky!

Comment

Originally posted by Skuce View Post
                        in BC you have to retro LHD facing headlights. That's the only stipulation I have seen.
                        Rest of the provinces don't care about that fact.
                        There are messes of R32 skylines around here now. I usually see 2-3 a day.
                        Technically, should be done Canada wide. I guess other provinces just let it fly.

I finally got plates on mine today. Took a wee bit of work at the MTO, but nothing major. Insurance was a pain in the ass for sure, but you can find a company. Highly don't recommend doing this if you're a fairly new driver or have a tough record.
                        sigpic
                        2004 Subaru WRX STi
                        2003 Toyota Highlander

Comment

if you have 11 500$ my friend imported a GTR and it supposed to arrive in the next week..

and yes. It's mint!

Comment

theres a red GTr going for 8900 in Montreal, dont remember teh name of th e shop, but my friend saw it and said it was pretty damn nice
                            Posted By: Wheresthericego

The BP crank is made out of invincible.
                            sigpic

Comment

Just curious, how much do you guys pay insurance for the GTXs and GTRs?

And BTW, the red car is long gone, we won't know who got it as it will prolly get stored for winter as most imports.

Comment

Working...
                              X