Hey

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Hey

I'm not a Mazda owner yet but I probably will be tomorrow. I was just wanting some input on what you guys think about the car i'm wanting to get if its gonna be good for what i need it for. I drive 150 miles a day in a full size truck and its killing me in gas. i'm looking at a 2000 protege DX 1.6 L4 DOHC 16V 5spd. I'm hoping it'll get around 30 highway mpg. i've carfaxed it and its only had 1 owner. text drives great. has a recall on the mass air flow sensor that never got fixed but i figure i can fix that on my own instead of taking it to mazda. closest dealer is about 100 miles away. currently i own a 2003 Ford F-150 XLT, 1994 Mitsubishi 3000GT(up for sale), and my wife's got a 2004 Dodge Intrepid(P.O.S).
    I appreciate any help in advance
    Currently Own:
    2000 Mazda Protege 1.6L DOHC 5spd
    2003 Ford F-150 XLT SuperCab 2WD Auto 4.2L V6
    2004 Dodge Intrepid(wife's car)

Mod's on Protege: purchased(02/7/08)
    New Spark plugs

Coming soon:
    Blue Ground Lights, New Wire's, New Head Unit
    Subwoofer's(thinking)

Try to avoid a dx pro honestly. You're going to get NO power accesories.
    But you'd get your MPG wish.
    Beater=/= Sleeper

Originally posted by kozzman555
    kitty, you are a hilarious woman
    Originally posted by HopelessCow
    there is one thing i dunno what is that call,a thing look like a gun, u press the button and stick to the metal and it makes firework, do i need that thing?and what s the philip head screw drivers?
    Using Linux for anything serious besides server or software dev is like using a tin can and a string for telecommunications.

Comment

Welcome. If you like it, buy it, that is if you don't mind the manual windows. But if AC works, who cares! if not, well...:microwave
      sigpic My cardomain

Comment

accessories....i got that on my truck power everything
        i'm just getting the dx cauz gas and its for a good price if i want power windows bad enough then i could add then in the future probably not
        i might get a new cd player(has one) and throw a system in the back but that'll be in the future i'm just spending 600-700 a month in gas getting from here to nashville everyday. right now i'm on layoff and supposed to go back in a couple weeks so i gotta find something quick. this mazda is the best i've found so far as i live in small redneck town with not much around here cept new car dealerships. and a new car is out of the question right now. i took it to a mechanic and had it plugged up and it read's nothing and when i test drove it i was kinda hard on it looking for defects in the way it run. it was serviced by mazda less than 4 months ago and the paint looks good. when i get it in a few hours i'll post some pictures for you guys to see. she's purty. thanx again guys
        Currently Own:

New Spark plugs

Coming soon:
        Subwoofer's(thinking)

Comment

And the AC and Heat work awesome
          Currently Own:

New Spark plugs

Coming soon:
          Subwoofer's(thinking)

Comment

if you haver AC, why do you need to roll down the windows? you can't beat the quality of a low end model mazda. sounds like your gas guzzlin' days are over.
            No car! I soldz it. Now I have a truck. I like it, but apparently it has a hard time keeping up with a slightly modified 4WD protege with half the hp. Neat.

Comment

I got the car and changed out the spark plugs first thing. number 3 looked pretty bad and they were all over/under gapped. nothing right. i haven't drove it yet since the plug change but will in a lil bit. i'll post some pictures tonight. i only need the windows to smoke and that's it.
              i've so missed driving a 5 speed!
              i'll probably go for plug's and oil change this weekend
              what's the hp on a 1.6L DOHC? i know it ain't much but she'll scoot.
              what are some freebie mod's that can do. i'm already contemplating a airbox mod with a k&N
              i'm also gonna add some blue ground lights that i have sitting around still in the box
              Last edited by taterbob2005; 02-07-2008, 03:00 PM. Reason: missed something
              Currently Own:

New Spark plugs

Coming soon:
              Subwoofer's(thinking)

Comment

congrats. I bought the exact same model about a month ago and have been very pleased. it's a blast to drive - I've missed a manual transmission as well. I consistently get 30 mpg mixed driving.

There's lots of online help available for working on this car yourself. Enjoy.

Comment

i'm not sure how to put pictures in here so just check out my profile and they're's a picture in there i'll take some better pictures later
                  Currently Own:

New Spark plugs

Coming soon:
                  Subwoofer's(thinking)

Comment

you can either use a free web hosting site for the pictures, like photobucket or flcker, or picasa (googles thing). OR when submitting a reply, click "go advanced" and below the box you type in there is a "manage attachements" button.
                    Click that will open a new window, where you can browse your hard drive to add files.

But there is a size limit of 150KB, so you'll have to make sure the pictures you upload are small enough.
                    If you don't know how to resize pictures, you can use Paint; under "Image" there is a "stretch/skew."

Just change the percentage size of the file, preferably to a size that fits the screen without being bigger, and save. check the file size, make sure its under 150KB, and upload to Club Protege!

I hope that didn't sound insulting, like you know nothing about computers. I figure its best to be thorough just in case! I look forward to see the car.
                    No car! I soldz it. Now I have a truck. I like it, but apparently it has a hard time keeping up with a slightly modified 4WD protege with half the hp. Neat.

Comment

oh ok i got it now
                      Attached Files
                      Currently Own:

New Spark plugs

Coming soon:
                      Subwoofer's(thinking)

Comment

The stock hp in our 1.6L is around 106 at the flywheel, give or take a few.
                        sigpic My cardomain

Comment

hey it looks very good, enjoy it!
                          sigpic My cardomain

Comment

i had a lx, great cars
                            Engine:
                            2.2L
                            4-cyl
                            make:
                            Saturn
                            Model:
                            vue
                            Transmssion:
                            MANUAL :ARCADE:
                            Rims:
                            alloy
                            Drive Terrain:
                            FWD
                            -------
                            lol the head looks like styrofome!
                            i'll get pics when i can get my hands on a camera! LOL

Comment

Working...
                            X