Problem starting the 323

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Problem starting the 323

Ok, I seem to have this problem starting the 323 anytime it gets really cold outside.
    The 1st time it happened. It was a rainy cold night and I was trying to start the 323, and it would only crank and crank and crank but would not turn over for nothing. I pushed the car out my yard and tried to jump it by rolling it down the hill and that did not work. This only left me stuck down the street with a 2200 lb car that I couldn't move... -- later I got the car back in the yard and it still would not turn over. I left it for the night and just threw the towel in on it.

The next day I came out and put the key in and the car turned over on the 1st try.. -- this is nuts--

Ok

Today , before I go to work I figure I will take the 15" steelies out of the trunk of the protege and put them in the 323. So I go in the 323 and try to start it up but the damn thing just cranks and cranks and will not start for nothing. Today is also a rainy day and it is pretty cold. The last time I started the car it was a snowy day and the car turned right over.

What do you guys think might be the damn problem ..
    Bruce
    photo album|photo album 2 (pbase)

dbest1a AT yahoo DOT com

Any time I have starting problems or missfiring it usualy turns out to be water or condensation in the distributor (usually after washing the engine). I used to have a cracked seal on the distributor cover. Check that or possibly your plug wires.
    Mik

2002 Protege Silver LX 2.0
    1990 Protege Black GTX
    http://members.cardomain.com/promik

Comment

My first instinct would have been wet electronics, so I'd investigate what Mik says.
      2006 Mazda 3 hatchback manual

Comment

what about the button that prevents your car from starting unless the clutch is in, i know someone had a problem with theirs being frozen and the car wouldn't start because of it. just a guess.
        '91 323 SE
        Sony 12" Sub and amp - 17" Motegi MR7's wrapped in 205/40/zr Visa's - Protoss CAI - Magnaflow Exhaust - Indiglo Gauges and Carbon Fiber Bezel - Ractive Shift Knob, Boot, and Pedals - GroundControls

Coming Soon- Kartboy SS, Pakfeifer Front Bumper
        <center></center>

<a href="mailto://67mustangjosh@gmail.com">67mustangjosh@gmail dot com</a>

Comment

It wouldn't even crank without that
          2006 Mazda 3 hatchback manual

Comment

replace the battery...its near death
            93' Noble Green MX-ZE (sold )
            02' Graphite Grey WRX Stage 4, 286whp
            05' Pontiac Vibe daily driver, lowered/tinted/rims

Comment

if all else fails test the fuel pump with a meter, and the battery sounds like a good guess as well
              No more protege, Mx-3 now...Only known BP powered Mx-3 in Nova Scotia

Comment

check the thermosensor, it might be corroded or loose, or bad.
                NOW WITH SPINNER HUB CAPS

Comment

Originally posted by Ambassador
                  check the thermosensor, it might be corroded or loose, or bad.
                  WTMF?

Like Wil said, it's most likely the battery or connectors.
                  My ClubProtege.com Feedback Thread

MOSI Race Dynamics
                  - Aftermarket Parts Sales & Services MOSI Race Dynamics Feedback Thread

Comment

batteries are simply a bunch of cells filled with liquid. When the **** gets cold or freezes, the mofo won't put out enough amps to fire the starter up.

I think our starters need about 350-400 amps to fire properly. Get a ****ty $30 wal-mart battery, thats what I did with the ****box and it fired right up
                    93' Noble Green MX-ZE (sold )
                    02' Graphite Grey WRX Stage 4, 286whp
                    05' Pontiac Vibe daily driver, lowered/tinted/rims

Comment

I got in the car the same night I posted this... Later on like 11PM and put the key in, turned it and she fired right up.
                      I don't think it is the battery but when I get the plates for it I will go to Autozone and let them test the battery.

I am thinking that maybe it is something electrical ...

Where is this thermo plug someone was talking about.

dbest1a AT yahoo DOT com

Comment

Originally posted by bruce95fmla
                        I got in the car the same night I posted this... Later on like 11PM and put the key in, turned it and she fired right up.
                        I don't think it is the battery but when I get the plates for it I will go to Autozone and let them test the battery.

I am thinking that maybe it is something electrical ...
                        If it's your battery, it is starting sometimes because sometimes it has enough juice to crank it. Sometimes it doesn't. See Wil's post above for explanation.

Originally posted by bruce95fmla
                        Where is this thermo plug someone was talking about.
                        I wouldn't bother looking that since it has nothing to do with the car starting. Mis-information.

MOSI Race Dynamics

Comment

hmm.. ok ...

See that morning. The car was cranking.. like you could hear the disty turning.
                          All the lights work like normal, the interior light is bright. But the sucer just won't turn over. I guess I will see if I can get another battery swap it for this one. Times are gonna be really tuff come January. So I will more than likely have to purchase this battery from now.

thanks for the help guys.
                          Bruce

dbest1a AT yahoo DOT com

Comment

Yeah, it's a possibility that I think would be easiest and most efficent to start from.

MOSI Race Dynamics

Comment

check you wires running to the starter, right under the intake , i have the same problem after changing the starter the wires never got snug so they vibrate loose every once and awhile cause speradic starting problems

maybe i dunno, its my problem dont nkow if you share it or not
                              No more protege, Mx-3 now...Only known BP powered Mx-3 in Nova Scotia

Comment

Working...
                              X