Problem with Head Unit, Please help.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Problem with Head Unit, Please help.

Hey guys. It's been a while. Well I have a Kenwood KDC-X659 that's not even a year old yet. It's been working fine until one day after practice a couple weeks ago. I hit a small bump, then there's no audio playing. The power is still on, and the track is still running, but no audio. If I hit it, the sound sometimes comes back. When the sound cuts off, it makes a staticy, popping, crackling like sound. I'm not sure what to do, and it's very annoying when ur in the middle of a song then it'll pull that ****. And i'm not talking about pothole size bumps. The slightest bump can cause this 2 "skip". Thanks so much for the help.

PS. Thank u negatize for letting me know where all the old "protegeclubbers" went. The other board wasn't really giving me much, and I hope to get a little bit more help here. Again, thanks a lot.
    Brian
    2002 Mazda Protege LX Black Mica

Currently attending Lehigh University...Bethlehem, PA

How carefully was the wiring done when the HU was installed... from what you are describing it seems like you may have a short in one of your speaker outputs from the HU (maybe a wire came loose back there?). If it is grounding out to the metal chassis the output to the speakers from the other channels might also be affected.

Just an idea... I had it happen to me a long time ago.
    --JJB--
    '02 Silver Protegé5 - 5sp - no performance mods, no plans for them
    Kenwood Z919 -- Polk Audio speakers
    16" alloys w/ 205/50 Bridgestone RE750 (summer)
    15" steels w/ 195/55 Bridgestone Blizzak LM22 (winter)

Moon roof - wind deflector - variable intermittent wipers - electrochromic mirror w/ temp & compass
    Winter/beater car: 1997 Mercury Mountaineer with 182k on it

Comment

yeah, sounds like a loose wire or harness. pull it out and check everything

Comment

well I put in the wiring a while back. i haven't had any problems till this day. i hope there was no wire loose on the actual speakers, i doubt it would be that b/c it goes away when i hit the head unit right? well what i'm thinking is that maybe i'll just pull the HU out and wiggle each wire to find out ( is that safe since everything is plugged in and powered?). Thanks a lot for the help, i really appreciate it.
        Brian

Comment

wiggling the plug and wires could allow you to recreate the problem and find out what's loose. it's ok to do it, and don't worry, 12 volts isn't much to get hit with

Comment

ok thanks a lot guys, i'll try it when i get a chance. SATs on saturday so i dont really have a chance till after that. anyway, how many of the old board members are on here now?
            Brian

Comment

Originally posted by BL_Protege
              ok thanks a lot guys, i'll try it when i get a chance. SATs on saturday so i dont really have a chance till after that. anyway, how many of the old board members are on here now?

most all the active "old" board members are over here good luck on the SAT's i got a 1350 and i was up till 3 AM drinking my ass off, and i was still drunk for the test needless to say once it was done i went straight home and passed out:p: i was just hoping to break 1000 with the mental state i was ing

disclaimer: i do not condone underage drinking. don't do it. this is one of those "do as i say, not as i did" things

Comment

Originally posted by blue LEDz
                most all the active "old" board members are over here good luck on the SAT's i got a 1350 and i was up till 3 AM drinking my ass off, and i was still drunk for the test needless to say once it was done i went straight home and passed out:p: i was just hoping to break 1000 with the mental state i was ing

disclaimer: i do not condone underage drinking. don't do it. this is one of those "do as i say, not as i did" things
                wow! 1350 is high as hell. i just want to at least break 1200, i know i can do it. i just hate taking that 3 hr long test over and over.

this is crazy, so what's the reason why everyone is over here?
                Brian

Comment

wow! 1350 is high as hell. i just want to at least break 1200, i know i can do it. i just hate taking that 3 hr long test over and over.

this is crazy, so what's the reason why everyone is over here?

i thought about retaking it to break 1400, since i missed one of the math questions and lost 50 points math has always been my best subject, and i was pissed, but it wasn't worth my time to retake it, since 1350 was enough to get me in all the colleges i wanted to go to if you think the SAT's are bad, i had to take the DLAB when i enlisted in the amry. it's the Defense Language Aptitude Battery. it's 4 hours of HELL!!! for almost 3 hours you have to listen to a made up language and try to decifer (sp?) the accents and crap like that to answer questions based on being able to somewhat comprehend a language no one knows then the last part was reading the language and answering questions to determine how much you comprehend. passing is 107 out of 140. i got a 108 i would rather be beaten with a baseball bat than take that test again

the reason we are all over here is that we had enough of jason's **** on protegeclub. cablemirc was kind enough to start this place up, and it's been going great ever since. we've got the most knowledgeable moderators and members out of all the protege forums

Comment

yea that other test sounds crazy. well thank god SATs are finally over. it's time for me to go out and check those wires. i'll be back in a couple and tell ya the final results.
                    Brian

Comment

ok im back, unfortunately, i couldn't find a damn thing that was wrong. the wires seem fine and i didnt occur that problem at all. i dont know what i should do now. this sucks so much lol
                      Brian

Comment

ok im back, unfortunately, i couldn't find a damn thing that was wrong. the wires seem fine and i didnt occur that problem at all. i dont know what i should do now. this sucks so much lol

did you shake your HU? try anything to make it reproduce the problems you are are having. also, look at the factory wiring to see if a wire is frayed or broken and grounding out.

Comment

did you shake your HU? try anything to make it reproduce the problems you are are having. also, look at the factory wiring to see if a wire is frayed or broken and grounding out.
                          well i shook it, banged it, wiggled each wire separately. i didnt check the factory wires though.
                          Brian

Comment

well i shook it, banged it, wiggled each wire separately. i didnt check the factory wires though.

that's odd that when you hit the HU it starts working again, but you can't get it to malfunction. check the factory wiring. also e-mail kenwood to see what needs to be done if you have to have warranty work done.

Comment

that's odd that when you hit the HU it starts working again, but you can't get it to malfunction. check the factory wiring. also e-mail kenwood to see what needs to be done if you have to have warranty work done.
                              how do those warranty things work, i've never had problems with anything so i've never had 2 worry about warranties.
                              Brian

Comment

Working...
                              X