Handbrake problems

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Handbrake problems

well i dont know to much about how the handbrake works on my car , all i know it is it acts on the rear wheels , and well it stopped working , like the car slides off my driveway slope ,

is that expenisve to fix , do i need new rear brakes, ?

the car still holds still on small inclines but not on my driveway
    93 Protege 5spd SE 1.8 L SOHC

When you pull the e-brake, is the lever loose at all or is there resistance? The cable might need replacing if your brake pads/rotors are in good condition.
    -------------------------
    '91 LX
    '03 Mazdaspeed Protege #235
    -------------------------

Originally posted by pigeon
    well if you're a fan of inaccuracy and uncertainty.... then by all means, go set your timing by feel and sound

while you're out there, you might as well adjust your air/fuel ratio by smell... and your tire pressure by ride height

Comment

There is also an adjustment screw. You have to remove the center console to get to it. Maybee all you need to do is tighten the cable.

Here is a picture for clarification. The adjustment nut is #2.
      Last edited by Marc93lx; 12-18-2003, 03:06 AM.
      2013 Dodge Dart Aero

Comment

wow , thx for the info guys , very helpfull , i really apreciate it

Comment

SOHCs came with drum brakes, correct? Drum brakes work well only when the shoes are adjusted correctly. The adjustment mechanisms might be stuck, so you may want to check them and lube them up with some anti-seize.

I'm not saying you didn't know this, but the vast majority of the public doesn't know that drum brakes are adjusted when you drive in reverse and hit the brakes with a decent amount of authority. Once you know the adjusters are working properly, try to remember to give the brakes a little more of a press when you're backing out of a parking space everyone once in a while.

"Mazderati"
          91 LX DOHC 5 speed V8 stocker
          Pioneer DEH-550MP, Infinity 6002i's, Pioneer 6x9s
          Uniden PC76XL w/ Astatic Road Devil & 5' Wilson Silverload

1982 Jeep Wagoneer Brougham
          AMC 360 V8, 4-speed, 4x4

Comment

well that i did not know, but i will show those brakes who is boss next time i back up , thx fo r the tip ,

Comment

I used to have sort of the same problem also, there was almost no resistance to pulling the ebrake up, and only sometimes did it stay...It was like something was stuck, well, I added some more brake fluid, and after a while the problem kind of fixed itself, also the brake pads havent been changed in over a year lol

Comment

if you have resistance in the wire then just just need to adjust the screw. if there is no resistance what so ever, you have snapped your cable or it has creep fatiqued it's way to being too long and thus you need to replace it.
                When you turn your car on... does it return the favor?

Originally posted by goldstar
                Yes, still have it. It was my attempt to immortalize you in verse.

A Protege driver named Brock
                Once said 7 seconds he'd clock.
                So his engine he goosed
                With much too much boost,
                And drove a rod through his block.

Comment

Working...
                X