overclocking the ecu for higher rev limit

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

overclocking the ecu for higher rev limit

has any one here done it yet ??? i came across it on miata.net http://forum.miata.net/vb/showthread...6&page=1&pp=25
    GRIPtoLIVE........................................ .........
    NA6C new track slut-NB8C waiting on parts
    94 E36- RB20 swap -sold
    93 323 budget track slut RIP
    FEARLESS MOTORING..........................................

I can't imagine how this could work without seriously screwing things up. The engine speed is calculated based on an interrupt going off every time the home and trigger wires from the disty go high, so why would having the processor run faster change this at all? Also, you would be throwing off your fuel injection and ignition pulsewidths, because the timers inside microprocessors are set based on the frequency they are intended to run at.

I just can't see this being a good idea.
    Ask me about engine management!

Comment

The way this works is that because the ECU works at a known clock speed, it counts (uses an internal counter) either time between pulses or numbers of pulses during a certain amount of time since RPM is a time based function (per minute). This is based on the fact that the frequency of the ECU is known and can be translated into actual time. If you alter the speed of the ECU the counters will run at different speeds with respect to real time therefore altering all time based functions and calculations including fueling, timing, RPM .... it's a mess in my opinion and a bad idea.

Comment

ah... I see what you mean... The internal counters will read as if the rpm is lower than it actually is, because it will reach a higher count before the next tach pulse. That would explain how it would raise the rev limit, but it would still lead to problems with injection pulse length.

Still just seems like a bad idea.
        Ask me about engine management!

Comment

I certainly agree it is a bad idea.

Comment

Danger Will Robinson!!! Danger!!

Drew
            '95 EGT 1.8
            T
            '93 ELX 1.9 SC
            '91 ELX 1.9

Comment

yeah dont **** with it . lol

1996 ST205 Toyota Celica GT4 | 1991 BG 323 Astina GT, BP N/A 138WHP *Gone*.
              1990 BG Ford Laser S (jdm), soon to be 220whp KL-ZE track hack

Comment

I Do not own a Mazda anymore!

Comment

Working...
                X