B5-ME into Festiva -- need some wiring help

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

B5-ME into Festiva -- need some wiring help

Hi, all. I've been reading and lurking here for quite a while, but this is my first post.

I have swapped a B5-ME into my '88 Festiva. The engine came from a late 90s UK-market Demio (a minivan / tall wagon descendant of the Festiva and Aspire) and is good for something like 90-95 hp with a decent CAI and low restriction exhaust. Not a lot of power, but when you're stepping up from 58 angry ponies, it doesn't take a lot to make a noticeable difference. Besides, I'm not looking for a fast car, just a quick one.

I'm trying to install and configure a Megasquirt (MS-I, V2.2) with MSnS to control fuel and spark. The engine arrived on the pallet with no harness and no ECU. The Festiva had a carbed B3 in it so there's not much there to work with. Consequently, I'm having to work through a lot of wiring problems. I'm hoping someone can help me with the one I'm dealing with now.

I've attached a couple of pics of the distributor. I've never seen one exactly like it, but it looks pretty similar to what I've seen on a late 2nd Gen ('98?) Protege. I'm thinking the 7-pin connector is probably the same. I need a pin-out diagram so I can get the MS connected.

Does anyone have the pin-out for that connector?

Thanks.

Burgess
    Attached Files

Lex?
    I live my life a quarter pounder at a time. And for those 500 calories or more, I'm free. I need FRIES! Two of them. The big ones. Oh, and I need them tonight. You're lucky the double shot of BBQ sauce didn't blow the seam on your nugget box. There she is, 2 pounds of pure beef. My dad ate it in 9.0 seconds flat. Check it out, it's like this. If I lose, winner takes my happy meal. But if I win, I take the burger and the toy. To some people, that's more important.

._________________________
    |.....Overnight....................| ||
    |.....Japan Parts.................| |'|";,___.
    |_..._...____________======||_|_|...,]
    "(@)'(@)""'''''''''''''"'''"**|(@)(@)*****"(@)
    Oh and by the way that shot in your banner with Vin Diesel's car getting shot, thats a civic not an altezza.

Comment

without having worked with the 7pin disty, a standard disty has a power, gnd, cmp to computer, ckp to computer signals.

That is 4 pins. However that disty looks like it has a built in coil. To drive a single coil you need 2 wires, power and a signal/gnd connected to the ECU.

The last pin to make up the 7 is most likely used for your tachometer or perhaps another ground or another such connection.

I don't have the exact wiring diagram for that disty but taking it apart will give you the clues you need.

To run MS and use an external coil (not the one in the disty) you only need to identify ground, power, and output for the optical or hall effect sensor on the ignition pickup wheel inside the disty to give you RPM. A multimeter would help you probe this out or if you had a scope it would help as well.

However if you had a wiring diagram or found one that would be ideal.

Comment

Sounds logical.

Originally posted by Lex View Post
        However if you had a wiring diagram or found one that would be ideal.
        Yeah, that's what I'm trying to do right now.

Thanks for the input.

Comment

Working...
        X