Cold or short ram air?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Cold or short ram air?

I was just curious what you guys thought of the various intake systems out there for the 3rd gen protege's, and wether those of you that had them preferred the cold or sort ram air intakes. I have been looking and plan to purchase one by the first of the year, and so far I have been leaning twards the short ram air intake by AEM due to the hot summers and volume of rain here in Houston TX. Thanks.
    -Dweezle

If you live in an area where flooding and rain is a problem definitely go for the AEM. Hyrdo-lock = bad
    Clint/1999 "Sport20"

Comment

in a NA platform you will get more top end HP out of a CAI, you lose 5-10 tq. between 2k & 2500. AEM makes a water bypass valve as well that will pull in air from the engine compartment if the cone is submerged. I've got a CAI on my MSP but after further research will probably be selling in to get a SRI. the air from the CAI is heated by my turbo so I don't really have all the benefit of cold air. I'd rather not lose the bottom end tq.

Comment

Good point. But you will also lose some low end torque with a SRI.

If you put a bypass valve on your CAI, you'll lose any benefit from it anyways. I think the best option would be a SRI like GotBoost says. You'll only be getting 1 maybe 2 more hp out of a CAI anyways, hardly enough for you to notice any difference.
        2002 Blackmica P5
        CAI - MSP springs - Brembo cross-drilled rotors & KVR pads - Ground wires - Ignition wires - Silverstars - Eurolites - Pilot fogs - Toyo TPTs - Tint - Blue calipers & strut bar - Batsymbol in rear window

Comment

Seems like the best of all worlds (cool air, low end torque, better than stock), plus its FREE.

Save your money and buy a new horn, a grounding wire kit, some better pedales (for some easier heel-toe shifting), etc.
          Yao!

Comment

Ok, here are the low-downs on intakes (please read, good info):

First, you have two types, CAI (cold air induction) and SRI (short ram intake). For the most part, you have two name brands that make intakes: Injen, and AEM. Injen makes the CAI and AEM makes the SRI. Also, you can purchase a no-name, Bomz, or other off brand intake from eBay with simliar results to the SRI.

Rumors: Dispite what a lot of people say, the two types of intakes do not yeild a significant power difference. I have owned both types and noticed NO, NONE, NADA, ZIP, ZILCH increase between the SRI and the CAI. The basic difference is 1) Looks (the Injen you can get in different powdercoated colors), and 2) Personal Preference. The eBay intake will yield almost IDENTICAL results to the AEM SRI power wise. In my opinion, the eBay ones look like junk, but they serve their purpose...I had an eBay intake before my Injen...it's a good intake for a tight budget.

Another rumor is that you will have to worry about the CAI taking in water and destroying your engine...while this is theorectically possible, it will not happen unless you submerge your intake in water (ie - drive through a 2ft deep puddle)...the CAI is hidden in your wheel well behind the plastic shield which is screwed in...if you are especially nervous, you can always get the AEM bypass valve, although I personally think it's a waste of money.

Prices: You are going to spend significantly more money for the Inejn or AEM intake over the eBay intake. And you are going to spend more money for the Injen over the AEM. A lot of owners feel it's worth the money to be able to get your intake in Black, Red, Blue, Silver, etc, and therefore spend their money on the Injen. Frankly, if you don't care about name brands, or care what people think when you open your hood (if you even open your hood), I would not waste my money on the Injen or AEM...but that's just my opinion, and many hours have been wasted arguing this point. Many owners have found the best prices for the Injen at www.adventon.com...

Comment

Well put Mathew. Good unbiased info from someone who has had experience with all brands.
              2001 ES (Featured at SoundDomain)

Pioneer/SoundStream/JBL/Coustic/Elemental Designs/Focal/
              KnuKonceptz/Lightning Audio/SoundQuest/Tiff/
              Gel America/Dynamo Deep Cycle Battery/
              Groundkit

Comment

Working...
              X