X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Clutchless shifting

I guess this would be the right forum for this
    Anybody try it??
    Anyone do it on a regular basis on their pro?? I just started doing it today on a work truck on the way back to the shop today and it was pretty damn easy.
    So then I got all excited and tried it on my car.
    First of all, yeah I know I'm risking alot of damage to my tranny and if you're just going to reply with that then don't bother replying.
    Anywho, I heard alot of grinding, but after several tries, I managed to do it.
    I was never able to go 1-2 2-3 3-4 4-5 all consecutivelybut at certain points I was able to make each shift without grinding. The 1-2 shift seemed easiest, but I got the most practice at it (stupid traffic)
    I still have mixed feelings about it because of the potential for extensive damage to my tranny, since ints not really designed for clutchless shifting like the Eaton fuller on my work truck. But Ido think that I might try this some more and see what happens.
    Any thoughts?? Comments??
    Ryan The middle child is always ignored
    BP powered 97LX Touring Edition
    Vibrant strut tower brace, KVR front brake pads, Tungsram Megalicht H4 headlight bulbs, Phillips Halogen H3 foglight bulbs.... 91 GT rims w/ 195 60 14 Yokohomo Mirada GTX sport

I don't see a point in shifting without the clutch. If any, what are the advantages? Faster shifting? As you said it yourself, the tranny wouldn't last much if this is done on a regular basis so I can't see why you'd want to do it while cruising or coming home from work.
    -------------------------
    '91 LX
    '03 Mazdaspeed Protege #235
    -------------------------

Originally posted by pigeon
    well if you're a fan of inaccuracy and uncertainty.... then by all means, go set your timing by feel and sound

while you're out there, you might as well adjust your air/fuel ratio by smell... and your tire pressure by ride height

Comment

faster shifts are centainly out of the question (until you get VERY good at the rev matching)... but if you get good and do it smoothly enough with no grinding then I can not see how it harms the transmission too much (maybe some extra wear and tear on the synchronizers).

I used to drive my old subaru around all the time without clutching it (over the couse of 60,000 miles)... never seemed to cause any damage there... but then of course I never took the gearbox appart to inspect it for damage (though fluid changes on it were clean... no metal bits to be found).
      --JJB--
      '02 Silver Protegé5 - 5sp - no performance mods, no plans for them
      Kenwood Z919 -- Polk Audio speakers
      16" alloys w/ 205/50 Bridgestone RE750 (summer)
      15" steels w/ 195/55 Bridgestone Blizzak LM22 (winter)

Moon roof - wind deflector - variable intermittent wipers - electrochromic mirror w/ temp & compass
      Winter/beater car: 1997 Mercury Mountaineer with 182k on it

Comment

Originally posted by Identity_X
        I don't see a point in shifting without the clutch. If any, what are the advantages? Faster shifting? As you said it yourself, the tranny wouldn't last much if this is done on a regular basis so I can't see why you'd want to do it while cruising or coming home from work.
        I'm not trying to do it to set any speed records
        I just decided to try it.
        I don't think it will cause any extra wear on the tranny as long as you don't grind it.
        What I meant to say if you misunderstood, is that I'm risking the damage to my tranny when I don't do it properly and grind. Which ofcourse, takes practice to do properly but then so does driving standard in the first place. supposing you can learn to do it good in a relatively short time, you'll save a lot of wear on the clutch for example. Not that I'm trying to endorse shifting without the clutch to try and save wear on it. The shop where my company is based is in an industrial area and across the road is a business with several dump trucks, cement trucks etc... and Talking to the owner one day I asked him about it, he said that some of his trucks have over 1,000,000km (~600,000 miles) and still have the original clutch. Obviously the clutches in those are built to withstand alot more wear and tear than the clutch in a car but thats still alot of KM on a clutch.
        Ryan The middle child is always ignored
        BP powered 97LX Touring Edition
        Vibrant strut tower brace, KVR front brake pads, Tungsram Megalicht H4 headlight bulbs, Phillips Halogen H3 foglight bulbs.... 91 GT rims w/ 195 60 14 Yokohomo Mirada GTX sport

Comment

If you rev to 3200 and let it drop ever so slightly before shifting, it'll slip righ in every time (without the clutch) the wear would go to the clutch (assuming you nail it every time) as it's always in contact with the flywheel.

Comment

it does wear the synchros faster...
            "Never run out of real estate, traction & ideas at the same time"
            -93 MR2, 129 ES
            ClubProtege.com Tech Articles

Originally posted by WTF
            Remember low compression makes more space for AIR, HEEELLOOOO!

Comment

oh for sure, i guess i meant, most of the wear goes to the clutch

Comment

yeah i see no point in it, i have dont it a few times to see if i could, and it goes right in, but just doesn't feel smooth, so i figure why do it if you dont have to, and rish ****ing your **** up.
                .....HELLO MY NAME IS BEN...

186.08whp
                225.94wtq
                torque monster!!!!
                dyno graph 8-10-and 12psi
                http://www.msprotege.com/members/THE...no%20graph.jpg
                http://videos.streetfire.net/player....0-C19CA06AF01E dyno vid

blahblahblahblahblahblah

Comment

Working...
                X