Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

finishe tranny rebuild...(new idea)

YaY!
    i just finished rebuilding my G-series tranny from my friend (saved myself a trip to the j-yard and $220 for another one...

this tranny had a broken 3/4 gear shift fork (made from aluminum)

I have the ability to have a custom 3/4 gear shift fork custom made out of SS... this would replace the Aluminum one.

Would there be any benifit to doing this?
    I know the trannies are weak from the factory and all ... i could also have the outer race bearings for the shafts cut out more and a thicker larger section of another metal added to strengthen this area.
    would either of these ideas give me any large benifits?

input please....
    Last edited by FE3-323; 12-19-2003, 03:40 AM.
    ---Has ClubProtege helped you in someway? show your support by Contributing--- Click Here---

1992- project FE3..... 313 WHP @ 9.3psi

I pet my dash when I get into the car..."good car"
    he actually has a mazda tree, parts grow on it

usually....and this is just usually...the things to break ARE:

diff itself
    5th gear shear
    actual case cracking
    synchros
    "Never run out of real estate, traction & ideas at the same time"
    -93 MR2, 129 ES
    ClubProtege.com Tech Articles

Originally posted by WTF
    Remember low compression makes more space for AIR, HEEELLOOOO!

Comment

I can replace the differential with an aftermarket upgrade
      -quaife
      -opm motorsports diff.
      -phantom grip

is there any thing that i can do for the 5th gear to keep it from sheering... for instance having another custom made 5th gear set out of a stronger material? shot peening and cryo treating are also possibilites
      (what is 5th gear made of? but more so what causes it to shear?)

besides going all-out crazy with adding extra material to the tranny to reinforce the weak spots prone to cracking. am i pretty much out of luck in that department?

there is always custom made trannies... but i have no clue how much i would be looking at for a price range on one of those.
      ---Has ClubProtege helped you in someway? show your support by Contributing--- Click Here---

1992- project FE3..... 313 WHP @ 9.3psi

I pet my dash when I get into the car..."good car"
      he actually has a mazda tree, parts grow on it

Comment

the phantom grip won't improve the strength of the diff, nor will the OPM diff. It's the actual spider gears and the pins that hold them in,IIRC.

stronger material, cryo, shot peening would all help. What causes is just just the torque multiplcation through a 5th gear when you start getting up around 250+ lb-ft of torque. The torque that the 5th gear sees is pretty damn high. It's also a bit thin, but there's not much you could do about that without a lot of machine work.

not much of a way to reinforce the tranny without welding material into it. FWIW, the SpeedVision world challange Proteges are splitting trannies with their NA motors....

custom? you could always do an apapter plate and custom mounts and use other FWD transaxles. Wouldn't be cheap, but cheaper than an X-box sequential, which is ~15 grand.
        "Never run out of real estate, traction & ideas at the same time"
        -93 MR2, 129 ES
        ClubProtege.com Tech Articles

Originally posted by WTF
        Remember low compression makes more space for AIR, HEEELLOOOO!

Comment

Working...
        X