Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Why no sunroof???

hey guys,

this topic may have already been covered in this forum, but I am new. So here it goes:

Why are there no sunroofs on 2nd Gen Proteges?

Is it structurally not strong enough to support a sunroof? Was this something they wanted to keep the initial costs down?

.....Just a thought....lemme know what you guys think

-- Eric
    1996 Mazda Protege 1.5L

Mods:
    underdash neon kit (sort of)
    DVD/MP3/CD Player
    Customized dash for screen
    HyperWhite Lights

there are, it's an option.. They didn't come on DX's to my knowledge. But I do know that some LX's came with sunroofs.. Some LX's (although very rare) came with rear discs and 4 wheel abs... It was an option offered by the factory... but once again (very rare)

I know where there is a second gen sitting in a junkyard... It's a LX and has a sunroof...

Bruce
    photo album|photo album 2 (pbase)

dbest1a AT yahoo DOT com

Comment

Originally posted by Protege Menace
      This is my 95 LX...

And my sisters 97 LX has one too
      I H8 U
      j/k
      photo album|photo album 2 (pbase)

dbest1a AT yahoo DOT com

Comment

I love sunroofs, and now that I saw your car.......I WANT ONE Oh well, always a bridesmaid, never a bride.

Thanks for the info!

-- Eric
        1996 Mazda Protege 1.5L

Mods:
        underdash neon kit (sort of)
        DVD/MP3/CD Player
        Customized dash for screen
        HyperWhite Lights

Comment

There were 2 proteges on the lot when I bought mine. One with a sunroof, but it was automatic, otherwise I probably would bought it cause I wanted one too.
          Ryan The middle child is always ignored
          BP powered 97LX Touring Edition
          Vibrant strut tower brace, KVR front brake pads, Tungsram Megalicht H4 headlight bulbs, Phillips Halogen H3 foglight bulbs.... 91 GT rims w/ 195 60 14 Yokohomo Mirada GTX sport

Comment

Mine is standart and has a sunroof - that's good. It's 1.5 and it sucks big time.

Wanna switch my sunroof for your BP ?
            98 protege LX for appearance
            89 626 GT for performance

Comment

LOL, take my sunroof, I don't want it. It takes up too much headroom. It sucks when I have my helmet on, I can't sit the way I want to.
              2006 Mazda 3 hatchback manual

Comment

And there're always something shakes in it. But it's good in a summer though.

Comment

5-speed and sunroof for me. It's only worth anything when it's open. It's got that annoying rattle when it's closed and I've got the shade open. That does sound like a good trade....sunroof for a BP.

<marquee>'97 Tan LX 5-speed-Clear corners, "poor mans" grill, 15in. Gunmetal/Polished Konig Holes covered with Dunlop GT Qualifiers, B&M short shifter installed and lovin it, custom leather black leather boot, MazdaSpeed Shift knob, Eibach Pro-Kit, Custom cold air intake Head Unit-Pioneer DEH-3500MP Speakers-Sony Xplod XS-V1621(3-way)6.5s(Front Doors) Infinity 652i(2-way)6.5s(Rear Doors) Pioneer TS-A6990R(5-way)6x9s(Rear Deck) Amps-Kenwood KAC-7201/Pioneer GM-X352 Subs-2-JL 12 W3s in Dual box, redone LED 3rd brake light(doesn't look like crap anymore). More I.C.E. on the way.</marquee>
                  Formerly '90 White Miata w/ 2 8" Laser Blue stripes
                  I hate the short nose crankshaft. It took my car away from me.

Comment

Excuse my n00bness, but can you install a sunroof, or do you have to get it from the factory. what I really want is a convertable, but my wallet says no.

Comment

What's the reason of paying 250 for a liitle thing that could be found on a junk yard for less then a 50 ? Or maybe 20

To zshakespeare :
                      It depends on what kind of sunroof you want. Power one or something simple.
                      Last edited by russian; 12-20-2003, 03:45 PM.

Comment

I don't know too much about sunroofs but it sounds like there is some kinda clip that is broken on the driver's side. I've just been too lazy to really look at it. Too busy with audio and other things. It would probably only take a minute to fix but I'm very inexperienced with sunroofs. I've heard a few other people with what seems to be the same rattle. Good for you if you don't have one but I haven't heard of a remedy for it yet.

<marquee>'97 Tan LX 5-speed-Clear corners, "poor mans" grill, 15in. Gunmetal/Polished Konig Holes covered with Dunlop GT Qualifiers, B&M short shifter installed and lovin it, custom leather black leather boot, MazdaSpeed Shift knob, Eibach Pro-Kit, Custom cold air intake Head Unit-Pioneer DEH-3500MP Speakers-Sony Xplod XS-V1621(3-way)6.5s(Front Doors) Infinity 652i(2-way)6.5s(Rear Doors) Pioneer TS-A6990R(5-way)6x9s(Rear Deck) Amps-Kenwood KAC-7201/Pioneer GM-X352 Subs-2-JL 12 W3s in Dual box, redone LED 3rd brake light(doesn't look like crap anymore). More I.C.E. on the way.</marquee>
                        Formerly '90 White Miata w/ 2 8" Laser Blue stripes
                        I hate the short nose crankshaft. It took my car away from me.

Comment

Originally posted by zshakespeare
                          Excuse my n00bness, but can you install a sunroof...
                          it is possible. someone from around here was telling me that he had his installed at a bodyshop or something similar... cost him $180 (it's not powereed though - I think the powered are actually called moonroofs??).

Comment

I wouldn't get a power one, I mean nothing else on my car is powered, I'd be breaking my theme!

Comment

Originally posted by zshakespeare
                              I wouldn't get a power one, I mean nothing else on my car is powered, I'd be breaking my theme!
                              good because this guy was telling me that you can't install a powered... (something to do with the roof construction).

Comment

Working...
                              X