O2 signal modifier??

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

O2 signal modifier??

I'm building my own turbo kit and I'm wondering if I need an O2 signal modifier? I've seen that all the kits for sale include it but if I can save $100 dollars without damaging my engine, that would be great. I have a 2001 FS 2.0L. Thanks
    Shaun
    01 MP3
    98 civic (stock)

Are you going to be removing any of the catalytic converters?
    2006 Mazda 3 hatchback manual

Comment

The pre-cat is already gutted so I guess it'll be taken out. Does it make a difference whether I keep it or not? The sites say that the signal modifier keep the ECU from pulling fuel a partial throttle. Fylin' Miata sells the modifier for $100 on their site.
      Shaun
      01 MP3
      98 civic (stock)

Comment

Yes. First off, some basics. There are 2 O2 sensors, before and after the catalytic converter. The second sensor should read cleaner, and if it doesn't, the ECU thinks the catalytic converter has failed, and will throw a CEL -- which can also cause the ECU to go into limp mode and decrease performace severely.

When you "gut" or remove the catalytic converter, the readings will end up being too close to each other, and presto, CEL.

Now... I can't remember if the O2 sensors are around the pre-cat or the second cat... :-/ So it might not effect you. I only have one cat and one O2 sensor on my car, hehe. If you search around the "Performance" and "Forced Induction Tech" section on http://www.mazdamp3.com you can probably find out more on prices and effectiveness. Good luck
        2006 Mazda 3 hatchback manual

Comment

Thank you,
          Aren't there two O2 sensors because there are two cats, one after each? The pre-cat is gutted but the second one is still intact. Right now there is no CEL light with one cat "gone".
          Shaun
          01 MP3
          98 civic (stock)

Comment

The O2 signal modifiers (O2 voltage clamps) included in the 3rd gen turbo kits are NOT used to mimic the lost catyltic converter. They are used to clamp the voltage the ECU sees from the FIRST O2 sensor, so that the ECU doesn't see the overly rich fuel condition and try to pull the fuel away to achieve 14.7:1 A/F. It is used to keep your fuel around 12:1 with the FMU. It is there for safety/reliability. Not to prevent a CEL or limp mode. You'd be best off buying one, or figuring out how to make one.

Chris

Comment

Thanks Chris,
              I know that the O2 modifier isn't used for CELs but I tend to change thoughts while typing. I am installing Probe headers next week so I was asking about removing the pre-cat. My friend is building a custom turbo kit for his show car and I wanted to be sure he needed the modifier. Sorry for the random postings.
              Shaun
              01 MP3
              98 civic (stock)

Comment

Is it going on a regular Protege or an MP3?

If it is an MP3, you do not want to run more than ~5 psi because the advanced timing int he ECU wil cause knock at the higher rpms.

And the o2 clamp is necessary for anyone not using some form of piggy back or stand alone for fuel control. And, depending on what kind of fuel control you are using, you might still need it.

I would suggest getting the clamp either way.
                "Hey look at me, I'm stupid as hell and can't even breath properly, little alone read!" - Master Shake
                2001 Mazda Protege MP3, with Flyin' Protege Turbo Kit

www.triplezoom.com

Comment

The turbo is going on my friends 01 ES. My wife won't let me spend that kind of money at one time so I am going all motor, buying parts over time and installing them myself with friends helping.
                  Shaun
                  01 MP3
                  98 civic (stock)

Comment

Working...
                  X