b8 to bp headswap

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

b8 to bp headswap

I'm contemplating a head swap. I am trying to figure out what will exactly be needed and what snags I am most likely to run into. As well as if I would need to swap out any of the accessories such as water pump, altinator etc etc.

Has anyone done this before? Is it worth my time or should I saught myself out a complete bp engine? I am trying to be budget minded.

Any help at all would be most appreaciated. Thanks!
    monza cat-back exhaust, front strut bar, front cross-drilled rotors

It's going to have very low compression because of the pistons.
    1993 Protege LX-Midnight's shadow SOLD
    1996 Honda CBR600-Wrecked. Damn Honda crippled me
    2002 mazda MPV-family truckster SOLD
    2010 VW routon

Originally posted by jay
    .....they totally underestimated the number of gearheads such as myself that have families but refuse to grow the hell up and stop playing with cars, or that otherwise see the utility of having 4 doors. Obviously I ain't alone, as there are a helluva lotta sti and evo here. Bueler? Beuler? Mazda? Mazda?

Comment

and you have to change the water pump

and it probably makes more financial sense to do a full BP swap. You get the higher compression pistons, an oil cooler, and a stronger crank, although it is heavier.
      Posted By: Wheresthericego

The BP crank is made out of invincible.
      sigpic

Comment

I have 3 good dohc pistons for sale. Just grab another 1 at the dealer for 75 bux and some rings and basically you'll have dohc power. Check my for sale thread in my sig
        2010 VW routon

Originally posted by jay
        .....they totally underestimated the number of gearheads such as myself that have families but refuse to grow the hell up and stop playing with cars, or that otherwise see the utility of having 4 doors. Obviously I ain't alone, as there are a helluva lotta sti and evo here. Bueler? Beuler? Mazda? Mazda?

Comment

Originally posted by Turpro View Post
          I have 3 good dohc pistons for sale. Just grab another 1 at the dealer for 75 bux and some rings and basically you'll have dohc power. Check my for sale thread in my sig
          So are you saying to for go the head swap and just swap out the pistons to BP pistons and keep the B8 head?

Comment

You can bump the compression up in your sohc by swaping in the dohc piston. If you want to keep it a sohc that is. Slap a dohc head and dohc pistons and you'll basically have a dohc motor.
            2010 VW routon

Originally posted by jay

Comment

gotta remember, the sohc pistons are pressed on, while the dohc pistons uses c-clips to hold the wrist pins in.
              No car! I soldz it. Now I have a truck. I like it, but apparently it has a hard time keeping up with a slightly modified 4WD protege with half the hp. Neat.

Comment

Oh yea. Wasn't thinking about that. Well I have the rods 2 lol. 60 shipped for all I have. 3 good pistons and 4 dohc rods. All the clips and pins are included.
                2010 VW routon

Originally posted by jay

Comment

Hmm, I just may keep the SOHC and bump up the compression with the pistons as you suggested. You gave me some food for thought. My B8 runs absolutely beautiful as is. Just needs a little bit more of a bit, this maybe it.

Any recommendations on what avenue I should take in the means of upgrading my intake? My exhaust is a full cat-back by Monza (it was the only cat-back I could find). Any info on headers as well. Keep in mind that this is my daily.

Comment

They're boxed up ready to ship if you want them . They don't make a header for the sohc so you're stuck there unless you get someone to make it(which means $$$$). As for an intake go on ebay and grab a honda accord(90-93) cai. With just a little cutting it fits perfect.
                    2010 VW routon

Originally posted by jay

Comment

Originally posted by Turpro View Post
                      They're boxed up ready to ship if you want them . They don't make a header for the sohc so you're stuck there unless you get someone to make it(which means $$$$). As for an intake go on ebay and grab a honda accord(90-93) cai. With just a little cutting it fits perfect.
                      My income tax check should be in soon. From there I will see what play money I have. Thank you again for the input and advice.

Side note, I had just bought a 93 240sx hatch with a blown motor. "Sileighty" here we come! So that might be taking away from my daily driver fund for a little while.
                      Last edited by bumper tag; 03-06-2008, 08:43 AM.

Comment

Working...
                      X