• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

5 lug wheels?

I saw a post about converting to 5 lugs from 4 in the Mazda3 section
    Originally posted by itzkcatz
    Convert to gtr hubs they had 5 lug
    and I wanted to know if I could do that with the 3rd gen. I'm pretty sure the ES has 5 lugs, but I don't know how much it would take or what goes into the conversion. Could I put something from a different car entirely on, with a different bolt pattern?

Re: 5 lug wheels?

ES has 5 lug wheels--114.3 mm lug centers. If you're running 4 lug wheels on the DX, you'd have to change all four hubs to the
    5 lug pattern. $$$! Not worth the cost or the effort.

There are some excellent 4 lug wheels available for the DX,
    many identical to the 5 luggers available for the ES, P5.

Check out Discount Tire, Tire Rack, WheelGuys, WheelMax, etc.
    The only substitute for cubic inches is cubic $$$

Comment

Is there even any point to having 5 lugs over 4 lugs? Performance or anything?

Comment

I have a 99 ES with 4 lug wheels. I was thinkin if the conversion would be worth it... Is it?

Comment

I don't see any real benefit to going from on lug/bolt pattern to another unless the rims you wanted didn't come in one but do in another and you really, really wanted those rims.

I my opinion, it's more money than it's worth.
          Last edited by redfyre; 12-31-2003, 10:36 AM.
          2002 Blackmica P5
          CAI - MSP springs - Brembo cross-drilled rotors & KVR pads - Ground wires - Ignition wires - Silverstars - Eurolites - Pilot fogs - Toyo TPTs - Tint - Blue calipers & strut bar - Batsymbol in rear window

Comment

I really really wanted the MSP rims, but now I'm not sure

I just want a basic 17" 5 spoke gunmetal rim

Comment

Originally posted by jnorion
              Is there even any point to having 5 lugs over 4 lugs? Performance or anything?

ya, wtf is the point? if the rims you like arent in that pattern, find another pair like them that is cheaper

Comment

if you REALLY want the rims.
                but i'll say there's no Perf. advantage to spending that kind of money. just buy springs, struts, rims and tires for the price of rims and conversion

Kenwood KDC-519 w/ RF 500bd + e12K.44
                RB springs
                Magnaflow catback

2004 mods:
                MP3 front bumper conversion

Comment

definately not worth it man...unless you know someone that'll hook you up with the parts for really cheap.

Comment

Yea, It's not..

back to rim searchin

Comment

Originally posted by bz3n
                      I really really wanted the MSP rims, but now I'm not sure

I just want a basic 17" 5 spoke gunmetal rim
                      Just go on wheelmax.com they have tons of 17's in gunmetal. and 4 lug
                      2000 DX, Blue
                      Eibach Pro-Kit, MSP Struts, 16" Kosei's on Honkook Ventus HR-II's(205-45-16), MSP Exhaust, Injen CAI, MSP Strut Tower Bar, NGK Wires
                      2 JL Audio 10w3-d4's in a sealed box, Rockford 500s amp, 2 6x9 Pioneer Premier 4-ways, 2 6x8 Kenwood Excelon 3-ways, Rockford 301x amp, Pioneer Premier DEH-P650, Dynamat in some fun places.....

Comment

You can get larger brakes with the 5-lug pattern. A definite performance gain...
                        "Hey look at me, I'm stupid as hell and can't even breath properly, little alone read!" - Master Shake
                        2001 Mazda Protege MP3, with Flyin' Protege Turbo Kit

www.triplezoom.com

Comment

Originally posted by StuttersC
                          You can get larger brakes with the 5-lug pattern. A definite performance gain...
                          Just out of curiosity why does it make a difference for the brakes what lug pattern you have?

Comment

Originally posted by jnorion
                            Just out of curiosity why does it make a difference for the brakes what lug pattern you have?
                            The MSP has larger rotors than the standard five-lug Protege. It uses the larger rotors of off the Euro-Protege.

Larger rotors offer more surface area for the pad. More pad and rotor area, more stopping power, better heat transfer, etc...

Now, ultimately stopping power boils down to the tires. But having a more efficient brake set up means better stopping power as well.
                            "Hey look at me, I'm stupid as hell and can't even breath properly, little alone read!" - Master Shake
                            2001 Mazda Protege MP3, with Flyin' Protege Turbo Kit

www.triplezoom.com

Comment

I went looking for some rims over the weekend. AS a matter of fact, I didn't even have to leave home

My neighbor is good friends with the guy who owns AXIS, who also owns LENSO. well last night he talked to him and showed me what I can get..
                              VPDs in 17" gunmetal (see attachment)...

cost will be about 85 bux per wheel, and I have a choice of tires. Falken and Kumho's 205/40-17. It will be 85/ tire as well.. total close to 680

Now I'm wondering, Which tires have a smoother ride? What will grip better?
                              Attached Files

Comment

Working...
                              X