Second-Cat Straight Pipe

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Second-Cat Straight Pipe

I just ordered an AWR header (yay!) and I want to know if anyone makes a straight pipe that replaces the second cat? I have a 2002 2.0L ES. Or is my only option to have one custom made? Thanks for any help you guys can offer. I tried contacting RacingMazda to see if theirs might fit, but I've gotten no responses.

Call Ric at Racing mazda, he answers questions a lot faster that way. I think I know of another company, but I have it book marked at work, I'll check tomorrow and send you the link.
    "In the end, it doesn't even matter" Linkin Park

Comment

Found it, wagnermotorsports. http://www.wagnermotorsports.net/products.php
      Thats the products page, call them and see what they say. They have a mid pipe on the products page and a downpipe on the projects page.
      Last edited by kopp0041; 09-04-2003, 09:47 PM.

Comment

I shall call and have a word with both, thank you very much!

Comment

No prob. and when you do, maybe post a review of the vendors in a new thread and give the prices for the pieces. More info the better for all.

Comment

If you eliminate the second cat your car is going to be very loud. I have no cats or resonator on my car with 2.5 inch piping nad it is loud. Turbo cars usually run quiter than NA cars so I would think you car would be louder than mine.

Comment

Originally posted by impact
              If you eliminate the second cat your car is going to be very loud. I have no cats or resonator on my car with 2.5 inch piping nad it is loud. Turbo cars usually run quiter than NA cars so I would think you car would be louder than mine.
              I do have the Racing Beat cat-back, which includes a resonator, 2.375 in (I believe) piping, and an infamous very quiet muffler, so I don't think it will be too bad. But hey, as long as I get the power, I don't mind.

Comment

I've got the same Racing Beat setup, and I agree, it is very quite for an aftermarket cat back system. I'm also going to be putting on the Racingmazda header and midpipe in the next few weeks. No cats. There was a guy on www.protege5.com that had the same setup and did a recording of the audio with no cats. I though it souded sweet. Guess I'll have to wait and see. I think wagnermotorsports has a mid pipe you can buy that has a high flow cat in it, if that interests you.

Comment

I don't want any cats, and the Wagner Motor Sports mid pipe is $230...a little pricey for some piping if you ask me. But we'll see, I can't call anyone cuz it's the weekend.

Comment

Looks like I may have to go with the Wagner Motorsports one after all. No local shops have mandrel benders and 304 stainless steel. : / It says it is made for the MP3/Protege5. I know the Protege5 has a different exhaust than the Protege ES like I have, but is the second cat piece the same? What about on the MP3? Will this fit my car basically is what I need to know. Wagner Motorsports replied and said they are not sure seeing as how they have never done it. Thanks for any help guys.

Comment

IMO, I think they are the same back to the can, the mid pipe should work if they said it will work on an MP3, same exhaust as the regular pros.

Comment

Originally posted by impact
                        isnt the O2 sensor after the cat? if so, how did you trick the computer into thinkin there is a cat there? I work in exh. shop and we have been trying to figure it out for quite a while now.
                        Yes, I am a female. So please don't call me man.

Comment

Originally posted by SugaPro
                          isnt the O2 sensor after the cat? if so, how did you trick the computer into thinkin there is a cat there? I work in exh. shop and we have been trying to figure it out for quite a while now.
                          On my Protege, both O2 sensors will be welded into my new header. Stock, they are on the exhaust manifold and the downpipe. To trick the ECU into thinking a working O2 sensor is there, you need a set of resistors, commonly called an O2 simulator, which can be bought usually from $20-60. It works by emitting different voltages, as if a working O2 sensor was there, completely tricking the ECU.

Comment

This is from a previous post that I think is relevent here. From the input I received (has not been varified) the first link is the simulator you should buy. If you do, please post the results, as in it works or doesn't.

I found one for $37 at http://www.zzperformance.com/zzp/pro..._simulator.htm I also found one at Jegs. For $44, the one for imports. Looks like they will work, what's your expertise?
                            Last edited by kopp0041; 09-09-2003, 09:28 PM.

Comment

PonyExpress Performance has one for $20.95 and Spool Innovative Turbo systems makes one Protege-specific for $59.

Comment

Working...
                              X