Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

spring/strut switch

2 points.

1) how difficult is it to install struts/springs (Tokico & Eibach) on my 2001?
    - What tools will I need?

2) how difficult/feasable is it to switch back to my stock struts/shocks come winter-time?

The reason why I ask is because my car will probably have to be used for 1 more winter after this one, and the amount of snow around here, i don't think i can have the car lowered.

I mean, worse comes to worse, I'll store my Pro and buy an old Civic or 323 (if not rusted to ****)... but I'd rather keep my car and save my money to buy an SUV for the winter.

And if anybody wants to come to Ottawa to help me install my springs, shocks, rims/tyres... it's nice here in the spring!

Kenwood KDC-519 w/ RF 500bd + e12K.44
    RB springs
    Magnaflow catback

2004 mods:
    MP3 front bumper conversion

Here's a simplified how-to I wrote up:
    Clint/1999 "Sport20"

Comment

yeah its sort of a bitch, more time coonsuming than anything, especially with rusty parts and what not.
      .....HELLO MY NAME IS BEN...

186.08whp
      225.94wtq
      torque monster!!!!
      dyno graph 8-10-and 12psi
      http://www.msprotege.com/members/THE...no%20graph.jpg
      http://videos.streetfire.net/player....0-C19CA06AF01E dyno vid

blahblahblahblahblahblah

Comment

it does not take that long.... an hour and a half is the longest it should take you. thats with breaks in between too.

when your taking off your stock suspension it may be a good idea to loosen the center nut on every mount you start anything. just make sure its not off completely. those top strut bearing nuts are not the easiest to take out when the strut is off the car.
        spray some wd40 on the stuck ones and 5 minutes later they will come off, no problem. just clean off that crap with alcohol after so it doesnt loosen when your driving.
        BLAZE RED 93 GS
        2004 G35 Coupe w/Brembo package
        MY 93 MR2 TURBO

Comment

an hour and a half, yeah right, you gotta account for delayes, like **** that wont come off, the hardest part was getting it all lined up again,

186.08whp
          225.94wtq
          torque monster!!!!

blahblahblahblahblahblah

Comment

hey... i'm going to newfoundland in April...
            wanna help install my ****?

I think I might end up letting the work get done by professionals.. and walk around with them and watch and help as much as I can... Since it's my only car, and I drive almost every day... I don't really wanna knock my car outta comission for too long (esp. if i screw up)

RB springs
            Magnaflow catback

2004 mods:

Comment

i mean its not too hard, but its not as easy as it sounds.

186.08whp
              225.94wtq
              torque monster!!!!

blahblahblahblahblahblah

Comment

well.. i have next to no experience with cars..
                unless if i can make a friend that knows what their doing... i think i might be left in the dark if anything goes wrong.. or unknown.

RB springs
                Magnaflow catback

2004 mods:

Comment

cmon guys... if u can change your oil and rotate your tires taking a few bolts from the strut and mounts is not hard......
                  BLAZE RED 93 GS
                  2004 G35 Coupe w/Brembo package
                  MY 93 MR2 TURBO

Comment

Sent you a PM.

2001 LX 2.0 Grace green metallic with gold graphics,
                    Motegi MR12 rims in gold
                    Falken Zeix 502's 205/40/17,
                    MDC Enterprises short throw shifter,Sparco shift knob,
                    Sparco pedal set,Vibrant axle back muffler , MDC Enterprises CAIwith K&N filtercone,Ractive strut bar,MP3 rear swaybar,Tien S-tech springs ,AWR engine mounts,AWR adjustable endlinks,AWR rear trailing arms,Konig rear wing colour matched ,Altezza tail lights edges colour matched to car.P5 front seats,
                    P5 front conversion with side skirts

Comment

A helper/friend is essential in this install you want to do. Also, air tools will make life a million times easier. Always start with the sway bar endlinks, because if you can't get those off, you can't get the strut out. The endlinks are most likely to be rusted to hell anyway. I had to cut off my rear ones, but it didn't matter because I had the AWR upgrades Took me probably 4-6 to do front/rear springs and struts and rear sway.

PS - Endlink tip - stick a 5mm hex key into the endlink end, and use a closed end wrench to turn the nut. Worked like a charm on the front at least, good luck with the rear.

Comment

I would only switch back to OEM parts for 1 more winter. Too much snow around here to have lowered car... IMO.
                        Even, then... My GF sounds like she'd be content with a civic or some crap like that as a winter car... so we'll probably just go with that come the fall.

One of my buddiesi spoke to this weekend suggested to go to Midas.. it's like $150 for the whole install and it's warrantied.. they have lowering kits and exhausts there, and I've had all my oil and brake work done there.. no complaints, yet.

RB springs
                        Magnaflow catback

2004 mods:

Comment

Working...
                        X