The Ding King

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

The Ding King

Has anybody ever heard of these? it's a little package that comes with a glue gun, a tab, and a bridge., and costs $30. You glue the tab to the dent, and put the bridge over the tab, which has a screw in it to gently pull the tab out, and the dent with it. Anyways, now to my story. I got my 98 SE several months ago, and noticed that the hood doesn't sit flush with the body on the left hand side. A quick observation revealed that the part of the hood that meets with the rubber stopper on the body, has been pushed inward, probaby due to some abuse by the previous owner. Now this thing is pissing me off because when the car idles, you can hear the hood rattle against the body, and everytime I'm at a stop light, it drives me insane. So I go out and buy this ding king, figuring I can just glue it on, and pull it out. this is the part I wish I had a camera for.

When you open up the box, and ONLY when you open up the box, do you get this disclaimer on the instructions sheet.

DING KING WILL REMOVE SOFT DENTS UP TO THE SIZE OF A GRAPEFRUIT IF THE DENT IS NOT ON AN EDGE OR A BODYLINE.

*danger* my oh crap sense goes of. there is no hint of this on the outside of the box, you can only see this when you have bought the package, and looked inside it.

Anyway, I try it out. sometimes these disclaimers are just to cover the companies buttocks, so people can't complain, and I may get it to work. well, on the first try the damned tab snapped right off the second I brushed up against it with the bridge, causing the tab to fly into the engine bay somewhere, I have yet to locate it. I took the second tab, figured I'd try somewhere less close to the area, that is more flat. this time it worked a little better it didn't snap off until I actually applied pressure to it. So basically now I have a $30 glue gun, with some fancy black glue.

On to my question. is there a relatively inexpensive way to pull this sucker out, so that my hood sits flush, or if I pull it out is it just going to fold back in, everytime I open the hood? can I salvage this, since the area is not external, I don't care about the paint job, I can always fix that up; could I use some sort of apoxy glue, and just give 'er on it? or maybye I should just sculpt a new support out of bondo? would that work? and of course after the christmas season, I may have some cash left over, although I really don't want to spend much money on this, I could probably afford to just buy a new hood; how much would one of those cost if I found a dealer at a wreckers? (canada).

how big is it? suction cups from like autozone are like 5bucks. you push them on lock it and pull. i can get a new hood for like 180dollars US new and it's primed i belive
    real drivers accelerate for the corners

Comment

the dented area is uneven, this is on the underside. I had already tried a suction cup. I figured the glue would be able to stick to an unever surface, starting in liquid form and all. I really don't want to buy a new hood, so I'll probably just break down and pay a body shop to do it for me, but I'd rather not. (I'm cheap)

Comment

autozone has a "ram hammer" for like 20bucks it's what the shops use to get out some dents. then if you really want it to look nice you can sand it down fill it sand it and then have it painted to save money
        real drivers accelerate for the corners

Comment

exactly the same problem menace! What did you do to fix it??

edit: nevermind, I'm a moron.

double edit: Yeah, and mine's almost a full cm below the 1/4 panel. everytime I start my car it rattles like a biznitch, and I want to cause pain. I'm kind of a perfectionist, and it just reminds me that my car is now ugly.
          Last edited by zshakespeare; 12-21-2003, 11:22 AM.

Comment

mines makes dat noise only when im in reverse makes no sence but i can live with it

Comment

Working...
            X