New pistons...which ones should I get?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

New pistons...which ones should I get?

I am currently rebuilding a BP engine to swap into my '91 323 and am going to be replacing the pistons due to some fairly significant wear on the sides of them. I am looking to gain some power with higher compression, but still keep it low enough as I may turbo this engine in the future. I was thinking 9.5:1, but I am unsure if this will be dangerous if going turbo later. Is 9.5:1 too high for turbo? Also, how important is having forged pistons when going turbo? I have looked into getting Miata pistons ('99-'00) for the dealership. Will the Miata pistons be much better than aftermarket replacements?
    Any comments or advice anyone? Jesse?
    91 Mazda 323 - RIP

9.5:1 is a good safe bet. The oem pistons are pretty damn strong, so unless you're planning on building an all out drag racer, I wouldn't worry about doing aftermarket forged units. If you were wanting to spend the extra dough, have Endyn build you a custom set. www.theoldone.com
    "Never run out of real estate, traction & ideas at the same time"
    -93 MR2, 129 ES
    ClubProtege.com Tech Articles

Originally posted by WTF
    Remember low compression makes more space for AIR, HEEELLOOOO!

Comment

Jesse, would you recommend using OEM Mazda pistons from the dealership or would aftermarket oem replacements be just as good? Also, one of the engine rebuilders in town recommended going with hypereutectic (spelling?) pistons. Anyone hear anything good or bad abut these type of pistons?
      91 Mazda 323 - RIP

Comment

Originally posted by 323
        Jesse, would you recommend using OEM Mazda pistons from the dealership or would aftermarket oem replacements be just as good? Also, one of the engine rebuilders in town recommended going with hypereutectic (spelling?) pistons. Anyone hear anything good or bad abut these type of pistons?
        Get the mazda pieces.

to save some money, goto 2 autocrosses, get the results, and send in your application to Mazda Motorsports Program. All of a sudden, you get CHEAP prices on OEM stuff.
        -93 MR2, 129 ES

Originally posted by WTF

Comment

OHHH **** jesse...youve just opened a new realm of cheaper car parts for me....thanks man!
          Eat ****.

Comment

I am not sure how many autocrosses there are in this part of Canada, but I will definitely check into it. By the way, how much cheaper are you talking about? I am just trying to figure out if it's worth it for me to go the Mazda Motorsports route.
            91 Mazda 323 - RIP

Comment

Originally posted by 323
              I am not sure how many autocrosses there are in this part of Canada, but I will definitely check into it. By the way, how much cheaper are you talking about? I am just trying to figure out if it's worth it for me to go the Mazda Motorsports route.
              dealer cost.... usually ~40% off....depends on the part.
              -93 MR2, 129 ES

Originally posted by WTF

Comment

Working...
              X