Jump from 3" E-Bay Intake to Stock 2.5"

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Jump from 3" E-Bay Intake to Stock 2.5"

This thread is NOTHING but a non-scientific, birdseye opinion of E-Bay 3 inch intakes. the basic premise.. you get what you pay for! about 7 months ago, i took on the quest of finding an intake.. did some research and followed related threads actively. i wanted something quick, easy and simple.. and BAM, what i got was 54 dollars spent on a 3 inch e-bay intake, with a 90 degree bend coming directly off of the throttle body. needless to say, it's design includes the presumption that you are removing your H-BOX, leaving a 1 1/4 hole in the side of the intake pipe for i guess what some have been calling the idler bypass hose. the 90 degree bend of this intake butts directly into the master cylinder, making it nearly impossible to make a tight seal by the throttle body. despite all of these down falls, and plenty of hose clamps (kit is 2 piece, comes with 3 hose adapters, & a few hose clamps), i drove around with this thing installed with the included cone filter, seperately purchased filter adapter, and no stock air box (completely ripped out). this has lasted for the past 6 months. rough idling, clogged filter, and several other problems convinced me to put my stock 2.5 inch pipe back on. here are my basic judgements:
    3 inch intake -
    more throaty, and shifts out of first in my auto lx at 6,500 rpms
    seems like it lacks some low-end, the pull from above 4,000 rpms is strong
    2.5 inch stock tubing -
    faster to accelerate (better low-end response), shifts out of first at around 6,250 to 6,400 rpms, pull all around is much more even throughout the rpm range.. this is my opinion.

it's been said and debated plenty of times, a straight pipe 2.5 inch pipe IS what you need if you want an intake. if anybody has any information to share on this, or anybody that has had this intake or still does in the past, please feel free to contribute. attatched to the bottom is a 'blurry' far back picture of the engine bay. needless to say, i would have thought twice had i actually cared at the moment.
    peace
    Attached Files
Working...
X