how do u bolt it down?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

how do u bolt it down?

i searched and couldnt find it. all you guys that have a cone filter on your cars, how do you bolt down the VAF so it isnt bouncing around?
    Serenity's Dead.

Eh i just left mine chilling on the frame part, hasnt really given me any problems. I wouldt worry about it too much.
    BP-05 Turbo-Sold
    2004 MK4 AWP Jetta GLI

Comment

Zip ties.
      2013 Dodge Dart Aero

Comment

personally i had a bracket custom made and bent to bolt down to a 12 mm bolt located just below where the stock air box was mounted.. most people just wedge the damn thing in there, but an angle grinder, drill press, and a few extra pieces of scrap alumninum or steel, you'll be set to go. don't get me wrong, it's not rock solid.. it does have some play, but it's got enough strength to keep the intake from breaking apart on a rough road or a tight corner.
        peace

Comment

Woudlnt you want to keep it a little loose for engine torque?
          NOW WITH SPINNER HUB CAPS

Comment

Originally posted by Ambassador
            Woudlnt you want to keep it a little loose for engine torque?
            can you explain this one to me, why would it need to be loose for engine torque???
            No more protege, Mx-3 now...Only known BP powered Mx-3 in Nova Scotia

Comment

never bolted it down....it never rattles or ****s up, so there is no point IMO
              93' Noble Green MX-ZE (sold )
              02' Graphite Grey WRX Stage 4, 286whp
              05' Pontiac Vibe daily driver, lowered/tinted/rims

Comment

likewise, i just think that many throw the thing in there, have some intention to mount it at a later date, and never find the need to. for me, it's just a peace of mind.. i've had to replace this sucker once, i didn't want a reason to replace it twice.
                peace

Comment

so your stuff is all just bouncin around in there??? i like the zip ties, because i have ba-jillions of them
                  Serenity's Dead.

Comment

Originally posted by Semtex
                    can you explain this one to me, why would it need to be loose for engine torque???
                    i think he was referring to when the engine moves around. i didnt bolt my vaf down, id rather have the car run than pull my intake apart when i race.
                    James G.
                    sobe83@yahoo.com
                    AIM: DVS 323BPT
                    MySpace
                    Cardomain
                    <BR>

<marquee>Turbonetics T3/T4, RC 550cc injectors, Walbro fuel pump, SSAutochrome Miata manifold, Tial 35mm wastegate, large FMIC, Apex-I SAFC, GReddy Type S BOV, 2.5" aluminum charge pipes, NGK plugs/wires, RX-7 VAM, 3" turbo-back exhaust, ARP head studs, H&R Springs, S/R struts, Sony XPlod deck-2/12" subs, Power Acoustic 800w amp, Pioneer speakers, Evo front bumper, ADR DV8 17" wheels.</marquee>

Comment

so nobody has had a broblem with anything falling off?
                      Serenity's Dead.

Comment

Made a bracket out of angle iron. It was pretty easy. It's like Darryl's.
                        My ClubProtege.com Feedback Thread

MOSI Race Dynamics
                        - Aftermarket Parts Sales & Services MOSI Race Dynamics Feedback Thread

Comment

The OEM airbox is bolted down and the VAF is bolted to that, it's the accordian intake tube that accounts for engine torque. If you have an aftermarket or custom intake tube, then the silicone adapters should take up some of that torque, enough to not create a stress point and cause a leak...won't happen if the clamps are good and tight.

But i'm with demoninvictus in that fact it's peace of mind to have it bolted down, as well as being a little presentable than a dangling intake and VAF....but hey, if you don't care, neither do i

Comment

you can bolt it down, but theres a big difference bolting down an after market aluminum intake over a flexible stock intake. i wouldnt bolt down my vaf, i'd prolly crack my cheap plastic intake tube off my turbo.
                            James G.
                            sobe83@yahoo.com
                            AIM: DVS 323BPT
                            MySpace
                            Cardomain
                            <BR>

<marquee>Turbonetics T3/T4, RC 550cc injectors, Walbro fuel pump, SSAutochrome Miata manifold, Tial 35mm wastegate, large FMIC, Apex-I SAFC, GReddy Type S BOV, 2.5" aluminum charge pipes, NGK plugs/wires, RX-7 VAM, 3" turbo-back exhaust, ARP head studs, H&R Springs, S/R struts, Sony XPlod deck-2/12" subs, Power Acoustic 800w amp, Pioneer speakers, Evo front bumper, ADR DV8 17" wheels.</marquee>

Comment

I don't even think I will be putting an aftermarket intake on my 323.. So I won't even have to worry about that.
                              photo album|photo album 2 (pbase)

dbest1a AT yahoo DOT com

Comment

Working...
                              X