Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Strange starting problem

Hey,
    I developed a very strange problem this morning, when I start the car everything is normal until the key goes to the start position. When the key is in the start position, power completely cuts out to everything, no clock, gauges, lights, nothing. Battery voltage is 12.75.
    Thanks

The car is a '92 Mercury Capri with a B6T
    Fast, cheap, reliable: pick two.

1992 Mercury Capri XR2 130xxx miles SOLD

1990 Honda Civic SI
    186k 10:1 hybrid motor
    d16 on 10 pounds will turn ya out.

sigpic

igniton swith.
    Beater=/= Sleeper

Originally posted by kozzman555
    kitty, you are a hilarious woman
    Originally posted by HopelessCow
    there is one thing i dunno what is that call,a thing look like a gun, u press the button and stick to the metal and it makes firework, do i need that thing?and what s the philip head screw drivers?
    Using Linux for anything serious besides server or software dev is like using a tin can and a string for telecommunications.

Comment

If you keep trying and it eventually works... it's a common problem and we fix it with a starter button. they just go out...

1988 White GTX - #1 parts
      1988 Black GTX - #2 reliably broken touge monstar (294,000 miles no rebuilds) - dead
      1988 Blue GTX - #3 in progress (view here)
      1988 Blue GTX - #4 BPT swapped weekend warrior.
      1988 White GTX - #5 Rally car

Comment

My GT did the same thing. I just installed a start switch. Problem solved. Its a common problem on these cars, as the switch just wares out.
        Last edited by FamiliaGT; 04-01-2008, 08:58 PM.
        Mazda
        1988 Black 323 GT
        DOHC 16 VALVE TURBO

2013 Velocity Red Mica Mazdaspeed3

Comment

I got it to start once by hooking jumper cables up to it. I also neglected to mention that power doesn't immediately come back when I remove the key from the start position, occasionally it will come back by itself and more often by slamming the driver's door. I guess I'll just keep tryign to start it so I can get it home and play around with a start button.

Thanks alot! I love working on cars but I'm far from extremely knowledgable at fixing them or diagnosing them.

1990 Honda Civic SI

sigpic

Comment

Bump. The starter is good, the battery is good, I ran a switch directly from the battery to the solenoid and got nothing, I bumped the solenoid with a screw driver directly from the power to the starter motor and got nothing, I'm going to try and re-run the wires from the battery to everywhere else and check the ignition switch and clutch switch. Any more ideas?
            Ninja Edit: The engine isn't seized; we tried to push start it (yeah, I know) and it turned over.
            Last edited by bgdriver; 04-03-2008, 02:41 PM.

1990 Honda Civic SI

sigpic

Comment

I have a almost invisibly broken battery terminal on the cable on the other car, try cleaning and retightening those. I would have all accessories but when I would engage the starter, the load would open the circuit and the terminal would stop working.

Comment

Thanks, but I got this fixed, it was an intermittent fault in the battery to chassis wire

1990 Honda Civic SI

sigpic

Comment

Working...
                X