Aftermarket Radiator Fan Help!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Aftermarket Radiator Fan Help!

Well, today was a good day, went to the Portland Auto Swap Meet, and scored big. Ive been thinking about doing some work to my cooling system before the summer arrives and spotted a slim fan, fairly new in a lot of parts. Had everything there, and worked perfect. They normally go for just at or over 100$, I grabbed it at 10$. So now, I need to figure out the best way to mount it up. Has anyone done this? Larry, I know you have, a couple of times, so your help would be appreciated too. But any tips or tricks would be great.
    Mazda
    1988 Black 323 GT
    DOHC 16 VALVE TURBO

2013 Velocity Red Mica Mazdaspeed3

No one? Really?
    Mazda
    1988 Black 323 GT
    DOHC 16 VALVE TURBO

Comment

Originally posted by FamiliaGT View Post
      No one? Really?
      Yeah, I'm here. I just got my computer back on line. Just upgrade several parts so that I can surf the forum faster! LOL

Anyway, yeah, I have put two different aftermarket fans on. The first one was not large enough (12" diameter slim-line). It would turn on as it was supposed to, but couldn't draw enough air through the radiator to make the fan turn off. Never over-heated. It was just a "stale-mate" of sorts with controlling the temp. So, I put on a larger one (14" slim-line) and it works every bit as good as the original in terms of cooling. I'm tempted to out an even large one one, but I dont' know if I'll have the clearance.

As for mounting, I went to Home Depot and bought aluminum L-channel. I think it was 3/4" depth on each side of the "L". Anyway, I measured and estimated the different lengths needed in order to mount the fan to the existing threade holes on the radiator (for mounting the old fan shroud and other stuff). I cut little sections out on one side of the "L" so that I could bend it and certain locations in order to get the angles that I wanted.

I'll try to get some pics for you soon.

Hope this helps.

Larry

Comment

Larry, that post just carried me in a whole new direction, thanks alot! :D Ile go get some a little later to mount it. Pics would be great as well. I think mine is a 15" slim line. Ile take some pics of it a little later.
        Did you even mount the lower holes? Or did you do all four corners this way?
        Larry, Thanks again.
        Last edited by FamiliaGT; 04-06-2008, 07:45 PM.
        Mazda
        1988 Black 323 GT
        DOHC 16 VALVE TURBO

Comment

Working...
        X