Bazooka Subs and Amp..

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Bazooka Subs and Amp..

No, i'm not asking if bazooka is good quality or not, i chickened out/couldn't wait any longer and bought 2 EL1014 SVC 4 ohm subs and an ELA 3001 (i can't remember).. basically, dropping the amp to a 2 ohm load, pushing 500 watts... or 250 per sub. this is a definate step over what i had, the only thing is the wiring is less than ideal, i looked into why my amp kept over heating, found out the 8 gauge wiring from the battery was fine, but the ground wire was actually a 10 gauge wire... there's ton's of signal noise, it can only successfully run 1 sub at a time without over heating after 15 minutes of serious playtime. so, my step... getting a 4 gauge kit, battery terminal, running the 4 and 8 gauge directly from the battery back to my 4 channel JBL amp (getting the old 8 gauge) and my new bazooka amplifier (getting some new 4 gauge). i know it won't make for the cleanest install, but i just don't have the money to do all that i really want to do, and even with time, i'd still get a result that i don't like... so i bit the bullet and bought the subs and amp. tomorrow, my steps are to buy the 4 gauge amp kit and terminal, re-run my wires back from the engine bay, resand the ground post i'm using (rear seat mounting bolt) and get that in good order, then wiring my front mis-matched component set up to the JBL amp, running 125 watts per channel in the front, running my rears off the head unit and hopefully, tomorrow i will have a noise free 870 watt stereo system.. don't ask .
    peace

Crutchfield sells a Kenwood "fits any where" sub amp which has a 5 1/4 woofer and a 6 1/2 passive radiator. I would like to get two of them to put under both seats. The ladies would love that!! Oh did I say that?!
    :p:
    2001 ES (Featured at SoundDomain)

Pioneer/SoundStream/JBL/Coustic/Elemental Designs/Focal/
    KnuKonceptz/Lightning Audio/SoundQuest/Tiff/
    Gel America/Dynamo Deep Cycle Battery/
    Groundkit

Comment

well, today, i went by leaps and bounds, thew a positive terminal on my battery, wired up the 10 gauge head unit wire, the stock positive cables, my 8 gauge wiring for my bazooka amp, and a new 10 gauge amp kit for my jbl 4 channel amp. also mounted the 4 channel on the 60 portion, rewired both grounds (minor signal noise i have to look into), installed the fuses and i was ready to go. took me 1 1/2 hours to do a hack job and install everything, everything sounds great. i was considering running 4 gauge to the bazooka, but the 8 gauge it has seems to be fine enough according to bazooka, my amp was just overheating due to the 10 gauge ground wire. tomorrow i'm hoping to get a new pair of rca's, wire in a 60 amp AGU fuse on the 8 gauge wire, rewire my front speakers a little better, hide my wires, resinch up the positive terminal if possible to make it more reliable, shorten up the wiring on my amps and clean up the install a bit to be presentable. just an update.
      peace

Comment

glad to hear it's working out if you have the 3001, rather than the 5001 (i think those are the #'s), the 8 guage should be fine, since it's only a 400 watt amp

Comment

on your signal noise issue, try to keep the rca's away from the power wire as much as possible. also, try doing a custom grounding on your car, like a 4 guage on your battery ground, from your engine to the car and so forth. also a GOOD set of rca's will help out too.
          '02 classic red p5
          currently enrolled in AA.

Comment

Originally posted by MisterT
            Crutchfield sells a Kenwood "fits any where" sub amp which has a 5 1/4 woofer and a 6 1/2 passive radiator. I would like to get two of them to put under both seats. The ladies would love that!! Oh did I say that?!
            :p:
            I believe "dalek" has this. On protegeclub.com, he started a detailed thread, specifically, about it. ....very interesting. I don't know if the thread made the trip to this board or not. However, if you're interested in it, it's worth the search.
            Last edited by Esteban Toledo; 09-06-2003, 12:25 PM.

Comment

i'm not one to be anxious to throw something under my seat, cept maybe a cd changer... aside from that, i'm going to mess with any more 'bass' creating devices. my next step is actually going to be finding some good components... just don't know which ones have the mounting depth i need i like the CDT components, which run 150 oin sale i believe somewhere, i just have to figure out what's next soon. they're not high quality rca's, they're what i had... rockford fosgate rca cables that came with amp kits i've bought in the past for my car or for friends. also, the rca's are running on the opposite side of the car and the ones going to the subs produce the same signal noise that they did on my friend's subwoofer install. and as far as the ground wire kit, the way i did it, having 3 8 gauge cables running from the battery to the distributor, distributor to the intake manifold, intake manifold to the cruise control mounting bolt, the induction of noise was so great, i couldn't actually push the car too hard or i'd get ticking sounds coming through my subs. obviously, i didn't use the materials or mounting points that they suggested, but what could have caused the noise i experienced is beyond me. but if you're talking about throwing a 4 gauge cable in addition to the 4 gauge already coming off the negative terminal on the battery and grounding it to the car, i am seriously considering this manuever. it depends on when money comes in, and the want to actually spend money on different things. everything is running to the point where i'm happy, and i've got more mechanical issues to worry about . so all in all, i'm set for now, great bass, no clipping from the subs, and great sound all around
              peace

Comment

Working...
              X