Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

My '91 GT

Hey all,

I've owned many different cars over the years, mostly of German descent. I am big into VWs and BMWs. I used to own an 88 323 LX sedan which I drove as a winter beater and I absolutely loved it. It was a blast to drive and never let me down, regardless of the 350,000+ kms. I wound up selling it to finance a different project, and I always regretted it. I have been keeping my eye out for a clean Canadian model '90, '91, or '93 Protege GT ever since, and I finally found one.

I purchased this car to be my winter beater, but it's so cheap and fun to drive the Mazda that the bimmer is staying in storage this year.

It is a completely stock 1991 Protege GT. It only has 180,000 kms and I have every record back to the original bill of sale, including every oil change slip. I'm sure most of you are familiar with the Canadian GT model and it's specific features, most notably the 1.8 DOHC and the JDM GTX interior.

I've only ever been on VW/BMW forums before so I look forward to learning a lot about these cars.
    Attached Files

91_protege_gt E36 BMW 325iS, Mk3 VW Golf WB, Mk2 VW Jetta WB

Welcome fellow BCer Nice GT you have!

Comment

looks sharp. Always fun to hear someone say the bimmer is staying inside while the protege comes out to play
      No car! I soldz it. Now I have a truck. I like it, but apparently it has a hard time keeping up with a slightly modified 4WD protege with half the hp. Neat.

Comment

you have a very nice display of a protege!!! welcome to the club!!!
        ---Has ClubProtege helped you in someway? show your support by Contributing--- Click Here---

1992- project FE3..... 313 WHP @ 9.3psi

I pet my dash when I get into the car..."good car"
        he actually has a mazda tree, parts grow on it

Comment

Welcome

now sell me your gt

Comment

Dam that things beautiful

Comment

very clean car! makes me miss my GT!

gonna keep her stock?

JACK.
              -Jack

ONTARIO MAZDA CLUB! Join! https://www.facebook.com/groups/500055016671733/

91 626 LX - basically stock and pretty slow still
              http://www.clubprotege.com/forum/sho...my-GD-626-LX-)

01 E53 3.0i - FOR SALE! pm if interested

91 USDM Protege LX - SOLD! turbo/manifold up for sale!
              http://www.clubprotege.com/forum/showthread.php?t=46606

Comment

You make me miss my white one more now Car looks mint. Welcome to the club
                1993 Protege LX-Midnight's shadow SOLD
                1996 Honda CBR600-Wrecked. Damn Honda crippled me
                2002 mazda MPV-family truckster SOLD
                2010 VW routon

Originally posted by jay
                .....they totally underestimated the number of gearheads such as myself that have families but refuse to grow the hell up and stop playing with cars, or that otherwise see the utility of having 4 doors. Obviously I ain't alone, as there are a helluva lotta sti and evo here. Bueler? Beuler? Mazda? Mazda?

Comment

Thanks guys.

As to whether or not I'll keep it stock...I've never been able to resist 'improving' my cars.

It does need to be my cheap daily though, so I think I'll stick to some mild mods for now.

I am loving what I've seen browsing through the members rides here. There is pretty much no tuner scene for these cars where I live, 99% of people think my car is a crappy econobox and don't understand why I'm excited to have found it.

I am a big fan of the JDM clean OEM look. Any visual changes to the car will be subtle...other than some 15x8 wheels

What do most of you guys run for suspension in these cars?

Where do you get your JDM parts?

Comment

welcome to the club. I'm jealous of how clean that gt is.

from what I've gathered, the more serious people seem to go with groundcontrol coil overs, others lowering springs. seems like the zx2 struts are the way to go, that or Konis.

Comment

Welcome, wow, guys this is as Turpro says, Mint photos, this car is rare.

And Craigs comment was funny as I too concur, most Beemers are jelous of a Mazda, and the GT, on the fender must bring a tear.

So clean, I see ROTM all over this one some day!

David
                      Ky
                      David
                      sigpic Ky

Comment

Thanks for the kind words and advice.

I have a couple of questions I was hoping you guys could answer.

I desperately want to put some 15x8 wheels on this car. I want to run some stretched rubber on them as well. I already have my eye on some wheels but I am wondering about fitment. They have an offset of 0. Does anyone know if these will fit? Also, I am curious as to what size of tires to run. In the v-dub community it's common to run 205/50/15s on 15x8s, but I am not as familiar with Mazda's. Is anyone running a similar setup?

Any help is greatly appreciated.

Comment

bump - can anyone help me with my questions?

Comment

I run 16x7 with a 40mm offset and 205/45 tires and they are VERY close to the struts in the rear and very very close to the fender also in the rear.

Comment

I don't think you'll be able to run a 0 offset, yikes. Generally our cars like 38-42 lol

JACK.
                              -Jack

ONTARIO MAZDA CLUB! Join! https://www.facebook.com/groups/500055016671733/

91 626 LX - basically stock and pretty slow still
                              http://www.clubprotege.com/forum/sho...my-GD-626-LX-)

01 E53 3.0i - FOR SALE! pm if interested

91 USDM Protege LX - SOLD! turbo/manifold up for sale!
                              http://www.clubprotege.com/forum/showthread.php?t=46606

Comment

Working...
                              X