Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

GM guy gone Mazda!?

Hi,

I'm Eric, screen name Eric M. Back in High School (early 80s) I fell in love with Mopars. But, muscle cars became so expensive, I couldn't afford them. I turned my attention to GM trucks, there are millions around, they are dirt cheap and parts are everywhere. Now that gas is $4 a gallon, I can't afford them either.

Two Years ago my girlfriend got her drivers license. She needed something to drive, something older that had a few scratches since she was sure to add a few more. My brother had just picked up a mini van (for the family) to replace his 92 Protégé and was kind enough to pass it on to her. Two years later, the car hasn't missed a beat (and she didn't wreck it either). She liked it so much, when she decided to pick up something newer, she got an 03 Protégé.

Fascinated by this little car whose gas gauge barely moved and never needed repairs, I decided to "borrow" the 92 .... at least until gas prices went down!

My 69 Charger now sits safely in the garage - I'm scared to drive it as it's too expensive to repair. My GM trucks now sit covered in cob webs in the driveway as they are too expensive to gas up and the 2 Protégés are what we use these days.

I decided now would be a good time to learn about these cars so I can maintain them. No hot rodding, no tuning, no spoilers or turbos .... the goal is fuel mileage! (Maybe new wheels for the 03, those plastic hubcaps aren't gonna last long).

I bought Workshop Manuals for both and have dove in checking things out. This front wheel drive stuff and the engine sitting the wrong way in the engine compartment is completely new to me.

I'm hoping this forum can help me out when I run into problems the manuals don't address. I have a few posts up already and have got some very useful feedback.

Thanks,

Eric M.
    Last edited by Eric M.; 04-12-2008, 05:21 PM.

im confused on how your g/f just got her drivers liscence 2 years ago and you went to high school in the 80's?
    Beater=/= Sleeper

Originally posted by kozzman555
    kitty, you are a hilarious woman
    Originally posted by HopelessCow
    there is one thing i dunno what is that call,a thing look like a gun, u press the button and stick to the metal and it makes firework, do i need that thing?and what s the philip head screw drivers?
    Using Linux for anything serious besides server or software dev is like using a tin can and a string for telecommunications.

Comment

Out of all the replys I could get, you ask about the G/F!
      She got her license much later than most of us did.

Eric M.

Comment

do you have pics of ur gf?
        I live my life a quarter pounder at a time. And for those 500 calories or more, I'm free. I need FRIES! Two of them. The big ones. Oh, and I need them tonight. You're lucky the double shot of BBQ sauce didn't blow the seam on your nugget box. There she is, 2 pounds of pure beef. My dad ate it in 9.0 seconds flat. Check it out, it's like this. If I lose, winner takes my happy meal. But if I win, I take the burger and the toy. To some people, that's more important.

._________________________
        |.....Overnight....................| ||
        |.....Japan Parts.................| |'|";,___.
        |_..._...____________======||_|_|...,]
        "(@)'(@)""'''''''''''''"'''"**|(@)(@)*****"(@)
        Oh and by the way that shot in your banner with Vin Diesel's car getting shot, thats a civic not an altezza.

Comment

Originally posted by wheresthericego View Post
          do you have pics of ur gf?
          This thread is going down hill quickly.

She's 7 months pregnant ... still wanna see?

Eric M.

Comment

Welcome to the forum.
            If you run into problems, the website has mass amount of information; I would do that first before asking. Service manuals are great, but having a workshop manual even better; Its sometimes better to have both. For some weird reason, the other tends to have little tid bits that the other doesn't have and vice versa. At least replacing the timing belt is easier than a timing chain.

Have any pics of the vehicle and how much milage does it got right now so far.

Comment

Welcome
              1993 Protege LX-Midnight's shadow SOLD
              1996 Honda CBR600-Wrecked. Damn Honda crippled me
              2002 mazda MPV-family truckster SOLD
              2010 VW routon

Originally posted by jay
              .....they totally underestimated the number of gearheads such as myself that have families but refuse to grow the hell up and stop playing with cars, or that otherwise see the utility of having 4 doors. Obviously I ain't alone, as there are a helluva lotta sti and evo here. Bueler? Beuler? Mazda? Mazda?

Comment

waiting on pics
                I live my life a quarter pounder at a time. And for those 500 calories or more, I'm free. I need FRIES! Two of them. The big ones. Oh, and I need them tonight. You're lucky the double shot of BBQ sauce didn't blow the seam on your nugget box. There she is, 2 pounds of pure beef. My dad ate it in 9.0 seconds flat. Check it out, it's like this. If I lose, winner takes my happy meal. But if I win, I take the burger and the toy. To some people, that's more important.

Oh and by the way that shot in your banner with Vin Diesel's car getting shot, thats a civic not an altezza.

Comment

Thanks,

I just looked at the manuals I have and they are both labeled Workshop Manuals (about 3" thick). I guess I listed it wrong in the original post (I'll change it). Is there a Service Manual too? Is that something I should get or is there enough info. in the WSM to get by on?

No pictrues online of either Mazda, but they are both bone stock. Pics. of the other rides at:

But I don't think there is anything there most of you would be intereted in (except a few pre-pregnant pics. of the girlfriend for "Wheresthericego" if he searches around).

The 03 Protege has 86K miles and the 92 has 136K.

Thanks for the warm welcome,

Eric M.

Comment

Holy crap you have a lot of trucks haha, and a lot of 454s!

They all look sweet though, not my style, but clean regardless!

JACK.
                    -Jack

ONTARIO MAZDA CLUB! Join! https://www.facebook.com/groups/500055016671733/

91 626 LX - basically stock and pretty slow still
                    http://www.clubprotege.com/forum/sho...my-GD-626-LX-)

01 E53 3.0i - FOR SALE! pm if interested

91 USDM Protege LX - SOLD! turbo/manifold up for sale!
                    http://www.clubprotege.com/forum/showthread.php?t=46606

Comment

I'd like to see pics as well.

Comment

Dam, those are some big mofos. I forgot how wide dually are, have you tried ARB airlockers before? But you have a lot of trucks......but its nice to see 8 footers versus some of the 4-6 footers beds lately.

Nice charger, I like cuda, plymouth GTX, and late 60's camaro's especially the yenko models....

Comment

Comment

Originally posted by Dijadoit View Post
                            have you tried ARB airlockers before? ..
                            I have one in the front axle of that Crew Cab and one in a rear axle of a project that never got finished. I can't really testify how well they work, I never really got the chance to use it.

That's the girlfriend in the backyard. That was last Winter when it snowed in San Francisco!

Eric M.

Comment

those were some pretty cool trucks. I bet gas is a bitch with them.

Comment

Working...
                              X