Adding cruise control

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Adding cruise control

So, I'm interested of adding cruise control to my GT. I had it in my LX and reallky miss it. There used to be a great write-up on the mazda323performance website, but I'm afraid that it's permanently gone at this point. Has anybody got any experience with this mod? IIRC, there are 7 different parts I will need from a donor car. Can anybdody tell me what all 7 are? I'm in no rush. This is a mod that I am hoping to attempt this summer. Anyway, please feel free to chime in if you have some knowledge, experience with this, maybe some of the actual parts I will need?

Thx

Larry

off the top of my head you'll need the cruise control itself, throttle cable, clutch engauge sensor. I'm sure there's more
    I live my life a quarter pounder at a time. And for those 500 calories or more, I'm free. I need FRIES! Two of them. The big ones. Oh, and I need them tonight. You're lucky the double shot of BBQ sauce didn't blow the seam on your nugget box. There she is, 2 pounds of pure beef. My dad ate it in 9.0 seconds flat. Check it out, it's like this. If I lose, winner takes my happy meal. But if I win, I take the burger and the toy. To some people, that's more important.

._________________________
    |.....Overnight....................| ||
    |.....Japan Parts.................| |'|";,___.
    |_..._...____________======||_|_|...,]
    "(@)'(@)""'''''''''''''"'''"**|(@)(@)*****"(@)
    Oh and by the way that shot in your banner with Vin Diesel's car getting shot, thats a civic not an altezza.

Comment

I want it too,

as gas is getting higher in price all the time.

I plan to use this BF of mine as a daily beater and play with my Protege for long hauls and weekend meets.

Maybe MazKid can be so kind to list the needed parts we will need to do the job.

I'm sure he knows the routine!

David
      Ky
      David
      sigpic Ky

Comment

Bump for seriously good links ....

for decent units, complete.
        David
        sigpic Ky

Comment

i found Instructions over there

but needet parts is

1 main switch
          2 stop light switch
          3 stop switch
          4 control unit
          5 clutch switch (mtx) / inhibitor switch (atx)
          6 actuator
          7 combination turn signal/head light/ wiper/ cruise control switch
          and maybe speed sensor (in instrument cluster, this can be all ready there)

if i did get this right
          My mazdaz
          mazda 323 BG Sedan GT V6, V6 sound
          And mazda 323 BF "GT" FE3, FE3n sound
          And all so mazda protége

Comment

Whoa this is so cool!

Thank you Brother!

I'll go to work on it!

Originally posted by Nroto1 View Post
            i found Instructions over there

but needet parts is

1 main switch
            2 stop light switch
            3 stop switch
            4 control unit
            5 clutch switch (mtx) / inhibitor switch (atx)
            6 actuator
            7 combination turn signal/head light/ wiper/ cruise control switch
            and maybe speed sensor (in instrument cluster, this can be all ready there)

if i did get this right
            David
            sigpic Ky

Comment

Originally posted by riverrunnernky View Post
              Thank you Brother!

I'll go to work on it!
              Man, I wish the website was till up. This is a perfect example of what could be lost.

I need to get on top of this too! Anybody got pics of the parts?

Mazkid, you help me with this mods?

Comment

http://www.fordlaser.com/

there is BF service manual in download section

in manual there is pictures of some cruise parts
                My mazdaz
                And all so mazda protége

Comment

FamiliaGT had mentioned to me the last time we were working on cars that he heard that some of the cruise control parts from a different model (I think it was an MX-6.... don't remember what gen) were interchangeable. IF that's so, then it might be easier to find all the parts more quickly. My question to everyone else is, "what have you guys heard?" Can some parts from other models be used? Have any of you tried this?

Comment

parts can be taken from 626 , begos i thing i have seen some were that is done
                    My mazdaz
                    And all so mazda protége

Comment

Originally posted by Nroto1 View Post
                      parts can be taken from 626 , begos i thing i have seen some were that is done
                      I'm going to guess that not ALL 7 parts are interchangeable. If they were, I'd be very pleasantly surprised. Do you know how many parts/which ones are interchangeable?

I too will also try to go to the yard and research this.

Larry

Comment

hey i did find this in my computer

Originally posted by Forum: Mazda323Performance.com writer: as87323

*This is much easier to do if you pull the parts off of the donor car yourself*

*I know that this will work for an '86-'89 323. Other years, models, brands might be different, but this might help also.*

Here are some very helpful Diagrams:

Lets start with a parts list:

Engine Bay Area
                        You will need the actuater pump (#6 on the structural veiw), the throttle cable that came from the car with CC (three cable unit; one cable goes to throttle peadal, one goes to the actuator pump, and one goes to the throttle body. they are joined by a box that bolts to the brake master cylinder), and the vacuum hose that runs from the intake to the actuater pump. These are all on the Drivers side of the car, in front of the battery.

Inside the Car
                        You will need the main power switch (#1) which is located on the right side of the black shroud that surounds the instrument panel. You will also need the interupter switches (#3 and 7) that go to the clutch and brake pedals. And you will also need the combination turn signal/head light/ wiper/ cruise control switch on your steering column. (I recomend finding one that has the variable speed intermitant wiper controll. if you cannot find one of these on a 323, i think they were more common on the 626)

Under the Dash
                        The most important part of the whole system is the brain box/ control unit(#4). This is an anodized aluminum box that can be found behind the fuse box, under the dash on the left side of the car. I spent a week trying to figure out why my CC wouldn't work for me before i figured this out. On the box is either 12 or 16 pin conector that is either green or yellow, or it could possibly be white; but since this is the only unit of its kind under their, you should have no trouble.

Now lets talk about installation

A nice thing about Mazda is that all of the wiring is there. I would recomend you cut the wires (not just unplug the conectors) from the donor car; this way you will be able to identify what conects to where.

Interior
                        First, pull your steering wheel. (the easiest way to do this is to use your lug wrench). Then remove the shroud around your steering column and pull the combo switch from your steering column by loosening the screw that clamps it to the column. Put on the donor switch and plug it in. Then remove the shroud around your instrument cluster. BE CAREFULL at this point; there are wires pluged in to the back of this piece. Pop out the place holder and put in the main control switch here. Next, remove the switches above the clutch and break peadals and put in the donor switches. Then plug in the brain box. (the connector can be found with a little digging if it has come loose from its holder.)

Under the hood
                        bolt the actuater to the drivers side of the engine bay and plug it in. hook up the throtle cable (this is the most dificult part of the whole job, since you have to go under the dash and hook it to the throttle peadal. Pain in the ass!) to the peadal, actuator and throttle. Hook up the vacuum hose to the intake. (you will need to pop off one of the black caps on the intake to reveal the place to plug this to)

Now it should work. Take the car out and bring it up to 30 mph. make sure the main switch is on. Twist the handle as if you were telling it to resume. now hit the yellowish orange button on the end of the control switch. the CC should take over from there.

This may sound kind of obvious, but do not shift the car into nuetral whin the CC is on. If you do, it will red line faster than you can shut it off.

If it does not work, go back and make sure everything is hooked up right, ect. then if no luck, PM me or send me an email at racermazda323@yahoo.com (or if i left something out Wink

Good Luck!
                        My mazdaz
                        And all so mazda protége

Comment

Awesome! Thanks for finding that and posting it. Anybody know where part #4 is located? Hard to tell in the pic. Is that against the firewall in the engine bay?

Comment

i hav to say i dont have cruise but if i remember righ its under dash, near fuce box and steering colum (i have wiring loom where is cruise wiring and plug was near steering colum)

combination switch is same BF and GC what i see from epc (i look euro epc so there might be difference)

actuator and control unit have different numbers but if we look wiring diagrams
                            BF

didint find 626 but i thing its same mx6

i dont see big differense in wiring. working is same

main swits need build (using other swits what is in dash if possiple) or find orginal BF switch
                            (is it on/off switch or putton?)

clutch and brake switch are normal on/off switch

throttle peadal needs some work or need fited from 626

so its not plug and play, but litle DIY its posiple

all this is how i thing it is possiple
                            My mazdaz
                            And all so mazda protége

Comment

Very Good Sir!

Much thank you!

Have found a tracer with the cruise at a pull a part.

I will pull the listed parts andwork on it asap.
                              Last edited by riverrunnernky; 06-21-2009, 10:51 PM.
                              David
                              sigpic Ky

Comment

Working...
                              X