Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Hi, everyone, just wanted to introduce myself.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Hi, everyone, just wanted to introduce myself.

My name is Art, and I live in Lombard, IL.

I just picked up my first protege a few weeks ago.
    It'll be mostly a daily driver, but with all the work that it needs, it'll sure be a sort of a project too.

It's a 1999 DX
    so it's pretty much a base-model
    with a 1.6 DOHC and a 5-spd

I'll post some pictures a bit later.

its a base 3rd gen. they all look the same
    does it even have power options?
    I live my life a quarter pounder at a time. And for those 500 calories or more, I'm free. I need FRIES! Two of them. The big ones. Oh, and I need them tonight. You're lucky the double shot of BBQ sauce didn't blow the seam on your nugget box. There she is, 2 pounds of pure beef. My dad ate it in 9.0 seconds flat. Check it out, it's like this. If I lose, winner takes my happy meal. But if I win, I take the burger and the toy. To some people, that's more important.

._________________________
    |.....Overnight....................| ||
    |.....Japan Parts.................| |'|";,___.
    |_..._...____________======||_|_|...,]
    "(@)'(@)""'''''''''''''"'''"**|(@)(@)*****"(@)
    Oh and by the way that shot in your banner with Vin Diesel's car getting shot, thats a civic not an altezza.

Comment

Welcome, Art.

Love my base model 1.6 Dx. Crank windows, manual door locks... just what I was looking for. A tach and cruise would be nice, but I'd rather not have the power crap.

Comment

Thanks.

And yeah, mine has no power options at all.
        I think A/C is the only option on it.

One thing I really want to do is get an LX cluster.
        A tachometer is always a nice thing to have.

Hre's the damage that I have to fix first...

I did start working on some stuff while I'm looking for the right doors.
        I ceaned up the engine bay, replaced the cracked and ductaped intake boot,
        and removed the rusty radiator and A/C brackets to refinish them...

I also picked up a set of cheap 14's that needed to be refinished...

I haven't decided if I'm going to keep them yet.
        This will be my daily driver, so 14's would be optimal for mpg,
        but they look kind of small, too small.

The driver side turn signal is cracked too, so I already ordered ones from Mazda 323F. They'll fit perfectly, just look a little different.

Also got a killer deal on a short shifter, but still not sure if I'm actually going to use it.

Comment

lower the car and the wheels will look better on it.
          lower cars look cooler
          short shifters are fun
          People who talk about getting better mpg annoy me
          Good job cleaning up those wheels
          I live my life a quarter pounder at a time. And for those 500 calories or more, I'm free. I need FRIES! Two of them. The big ones. Oh, and I need them tonight. You're lucky the double shot of BBQ sauce didn't blow the seam on your nugget box. There she is, 2 pounds of pure beef. My dad ate it in 9.0 seconds flat. Check it out, it's like this. If I lose, winner takes my happy meal. But if I win, I take the burger and the toy. To some people, that's more important.

Oh and by the way that shot in your banner with Vin Diesel's car getting shot, thats a civic not an altezza.

Comment

Thanks.

The reason I'm talking about better mpg on this one is because I'll be driving this one every day, and with todays gas prices... well, you know how it goes.

Same thign with the ride height. I want to keep it fairly stock because of the s**tty roads in Chicago, and especially the suburbs. It's pothole central.
            But I did find a set of OEM Beat lowering springs for $95 that are really tempting me.

I do have another car though, more of a weekend project.
            Here are some pics...

This is the one that mpg does not matter :D
            Last edited by bidi; 04-14-2008, 10:59 PM.

Comment

here's one more pic...

silver one is my brother's, tan is my dads, and the green one is mine

Comment

I know how gas goes. Its not that expensive. I wouldn't want to compromise performance for MPG. Why didn't you just get a prius if you want mpg

Comment

cause prius' suck.
                  No car! I soldz it. Now I have a truck. I like it, but apparently it has a hard time keeping up with a slightly modified 4WD protege with half the hp. Neat.

Comment

no not compromise of course.
                    I'm just saying I'm going to leave the protege mostly stock.
                    I drive around 3,000 miles a month, and with gas being at over $3.50 and said to go up to $5 per gallon, that would put a dent in my wallet.

Comment

Gas is over $3.70 today and it's not even summer yet.

Anyway, on the brigher note, someone made me an offer I couldn't refuse, so I sold the 14's.
                      The protege is back on steelies again, for now.

I am looking for some 15"+ wheels locally.
                      They must have good tires, and be on the cheap side.
                      I want something that looks decent, but not too fancy to where I would have to worry if they'll still be on the car when I parking downtown.

Those gold wheels form the civic would look mighty nice on the protege...

...but then I wouldn't be able to park this one by school either.
                      Last edited by bidi; 04-15-2008, 05:00 PM.

Comment

if you ever get around to replacing the steelies, I'd be interested in your stock wheel covers - looks like you have two. PM me if/when you want.

Comment

I have all 4, the other two are in the trunk.
                          The only thing is that one of them is a bit messed up from the accident.

Comment

"does bono want the bidi? take the bidi."
                            "bidi"
                            "ouch, that hurts the bidi"

Enjoy the videos and music you love, upload original content, and share it all with friends, family, and the world on YouTube.

crappy quality i know
                            Last edited by kozzman555; 04-16-2008, 01:12 AM.
                            "Beer is proof that God loves us and wants us to be happy"
                            -Benjamin Franklin

i wish my grass was emo, then it would cut itself
                            -dedicated to sling blade, aka, meltdownsky

this is a horrible trick and should be deleted immedately - wheresthericego
                            http://www.wihandyman.com/forum/showthread.php?t=35130 - BWAHAHAHAHAHAHA

Comment

Originally posted by kozzman555 View Post
                              "does bono want the bidi? take the bidi."
                              "bidi"
                              "ouch, that hurts the bidi"

Enjoy the videos and music you love, upload original content, and share it all with friends, family, and the world on YouTube.

crappy quality i know

Funny ...I've seen that episode, but I totally forgot about it.

This is actually what I was thinking about...

Comment

Working...
                              X