alternator belt ??

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

alternator belt ??

it snapped on me yesterday when i was driving what exactly do i have to do to put the new one bakc on?

the alternator has 2 bolts on it, one on top, and one on bottom, you need to loosen both of them. the top one is attached to a swinging mechanism that moves the alternator back and forth. you slip on the new belt, then push the alternator back (i used a screwdriver as a lever) until the belt is tight, then tighten both of the bolts.
    sigpic

Comment

what U need is a 12mm wrench and a 17mm stubby wrench(or 14mm??probably 17mm)...the 12mm is for the top fastner that pivots the alt. & snuggs the belt ..."firm" belt tension not the "Rath of God" tight or yer going to violate the alt berings.......just loosen the fastners don't remove them...set the belt tension with the top fastner 12mm for belt tension...then snug the botton fastner...its also a good time to replace the ac belt as well while your there anyway ...good luck

Comment

which belt do i get the belt that runs to the powersteering or the one that runs to the water pump ?

Comment

Alternator belt also powers the water pump.

Comment

you have to pull th epower steerign belt to get to the alt belt.

There are 3 14mm (iirc) bolts on the front fo the powering steerign pump. Loosen them then use a 12mm on the front of the motor or on the pump facing the front of the car. turn it. 1 way loosens and then you cna push the pump down and pull its belt off. depnding on hopw long its been i woudl say save the hassle and replace both the belts.

Comment

ok i dont get it i took out the two taht are facing towards the front of the car and are attached to the block??is this right but the powersteering pump still doesn move

Comment

ok i got it done and i didnt have to remove more than 3 bolts the one right under the power steering reseguar and the one above it and the one in front kinda easy if you know what to take off

Comment

Working...
                X