HELP! Ignition Problem

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

HELP! Ignition Problem

Yesterday, My car did this, but only once and stopped. Now it wont go away.
    On my car, I Installed a Start switch since my ignition switch was starting to have problems. I installed it about one year ago without any problems.
    The problem im having is that now, when I insert the key and turn it just so far as on, the starter automaticly engages, starting the car, but will not turn off and retract the pinion gear like its supposed too, but will spin with the flywheel. I can turn it off, pull the key out, and the way my external switch is wired, I can engage the starter with the key off and out. It will turn the engine over, but will not start, which is normal.
    I can still do this with no problem, its just when the key is turned to the ON position (Not Run), it will engage and never turn off. Has anyone else had this problem?

My thoughts went immediatly to the igntion switch itself. But then i thought, How is it getting passed the external switch, but without any problems when the key is out and off?

Any thoughts would be great. Ile be going into CS hopefully to have them look into it further. Im only really good with my hands mechanically, but by no means an electrician.
    Mazda
    1988 Black 323 GT
    DOHC 16 VALVE TURBO

2013 Velocity Red Mica Mazdaspeed3

Well, add this to the list. It does it without the clutch engaged too. What the hell is going on here?
    Mazda
    1988 Black 323 GT
    DOHC 16 VALVE TURBO

Comment

Anyone?

I just thought maybe it could be the solinoid. If its shoved out and stuck, maybe its cusing it to turn?
      Mazda
      1988 Black 323 GT
      DOHC 16 VALVE TURBO

Comment

Originally posted by FamiliaGT View Post
        Anyone?

I just thought maybe it could be the solinoid. If its shoved out and stuck, maybe its cusing it to turn?
        You're out of my league here.... I wish I could help, but I don't know....

Comment

I would check the inhibitor and interlock switch. If one of these is malfunctioning it can cause your problem.

Comment

Now an inhibitor ive never heard of on this car. Where is it located, whats it look like and what roll does it play? and interlock? Same with that
            Mazda
            1988 Black 323 GT
            DOHC 16 VALVE TURBO

Comment

Well, ya learn somethin new every ******* day.
              Its smart to check the FSM, so il go check the interlock realquick.

Edit. The fsm wasnt very helpful with a location. Can someone point me in the right direction?
              Last edited by FamiliaGT; 04-20-2008, 06:55 PM.
              Mazda
              1988 Black 323 GT
              DOHC 16 VALVE TURBO

Comment

Well the inihbitor is working fine, and i just replaced the whole ignition switch and harness. Ive dissconected my turbo timer, and nothing. This is really starting to piss me off. Ive dumped about 200$ into parts that arent even the problem, but those parts where the only things that made sense to replace/that could be broken. Im seriously about to loose it. Ive done everything i can think of plus that of a few other pro's. Im stuck, which i seriously cant afford. Any extra advise, im listening since my options are very little at this point.
                Last edited by FamiliaGT; 04-22-2008, 06:44 PM.
                Mazda
                1988 Black 323 GT
                DOHC 16 VALVE TURBO

Comment

have you replaced the ignition switch itself? If worse comes to worse, you can take the starter wires out of the ign switch and run a separate push button.

Comment

Originally posted by FamiliaGT from first post View Post
                    On my car, I Installed a Start switch since my ignition switch was starting to have problems. I installed it about one year ago without any problems.
                    Thanks Lex, yes I have installed an external start switch, and replaced the actual ignition switch, actually today at the tune of 105$ Being there only was 13 left in the states, then paid extra for next day service.

But it didnt fix it. Im putting the car back together, and just towing it to CS in hopes Derick and Jason might have a better idea. Im just so lost and out of ideas.
                    Mazda
                    1988 Black 323 GT
                    DOHC 16 VALVE TURBO

Comment

I have a funny feeling that the ignition switch is fine, but the unit or the assembly were you insert the key is worn out causing some play in the assembly knocking to off position.

Comment

I wish that where the case, but you can pull the switch itself out and start the engine without the key part. All you need is a flat head to turn the tumbler to on, and it still does it.
                        Im taking it in today to see what this could be.
                        Another note, is the radiator cooling fan is on constantly, and my heater fan does not work at all all of the sudden. Im starting to suspect a main relay. Any other ideas? I appreciate all the thoughts and help by the way.
                        Mazda
                        1988 Black 323 GT
                        DOHC 16 VALVE TURBO

Comment

For anyone who runs into this issue, it turned out to be the ignition relay. Thanks to Jason at CS Who found it burning up, thats what it was. stupid....5$ ...peice of...
                          Mazda
                          1988 Black 323 GT
                          DOHC 16 VALVE TURBO

Comment

I ran into that problem before, except at the time I was driving a 280 zx. The engine would cut out while in motion; to start it I just compression start it. Put it into gear and let up the clutch a bit till it catch and started up the engine....

Comment

Relay!!! Ha!

1988 White GTX - #1 parts
                              1988 Black GTX - #2 reliably broken touge monstar (294,000 miles no rebuilds) - dead
                              1988 Blue GTX - #3 in progress (view here)
                              1988 Blue GTX - #4 BPT swapped weekend warrior.
                              1988 White GTX - #5 Rally car

Comment

Working...
                              X