is the 5 better?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

is the 5 better?

is the protege5 simply a protege wagon or is it more?

it seems to be marketed as sportier and cooler than the protege, but is it? it also has things like leather and subwoofer.
    Last edited by impulse374; 12-22-2003, 09:49 PM.

Re: is the 5 better?

Originally posted by impulse374
    it also has things like leather and subwoofer.
    I have leather and subwoofers too. It all just depends on what you are looking for. I think they are great looking cars, but the sedan looks damn good to me too.

Comment

Roger that to Proto2k, both the sedan and the hatchback/wagon are great looking cars. It just comes down to personal preference. For me, it was the front end of the P5 that hooked me. The P5 has a strut bar but other than that, the interior is pretty much the same from what I've seen.
      Last edited by redfyre; 12-26-2003, 07:48 PM.
      2002 Blackmica P5
      CAI - MSP springs - Brembo cross-drilled rotors & KVR pads - Ground wires - Ignition wires - Silverstars - Eurolites - Pilot fogs - Toyo TPTs - Tint - Blue calipers & strut bar - Batsymbol in rear window

Comment

both cars are identical "stock" except the wagon is .... a wagon. now the wagon does have the subwoofer, if you want to call it that. but is also heavier/ I like both, but when it came down to it, I chose the sedan. the one with the body kit and turbo

Comment

The P5 has no special motor enhancements over the sedan.
          The P5 has a more agressive front and comes standard with 16 inch rims. I'm not sure whats standard for rims on the sedans (unless you get the MSP which comes with 17s)
          Yes, the P5 also comes with a strut bar. However, I belive it doesn't come with a rear anti sway bar like the MSP.
          Alltogether, it has its perks but its not too much different. Its all up to you. My sister has a "01" Protege' DX sedan. I really didn't like it. To me it lacked styling. On my search for a new 626 with a MANUAL tranny ( I didn't find one) I came across the P5 and loved it. So that was my purchase.

Good luck. And if you plan on getting a P5. I suggest a manual tranny. It just adds to the fun factor.
          " Autobots are an error I intend to correct"

Reformated Alternate Mode:
          Midnite Blue P5 ( 5-speed manual)
          Painted calipers
          Injen CAI
          Custom exhaust
          Tein lowering springs(finally installed)

Comment

Originally posted by GotBoost
            both cars are identical "stock" except the wagon is .... a wagon. now the wagon does have the subwoofer, if you want to call it that. but is also heavier/ I like both, but when it came down to it, I chose the sedan. the one with the body kit and turbo
            Subwoofer? I don't get it?

Also, the P5 is about 80 pounds heavier but has a little more cargo space (if that is what you are looking for). The P5 is like an ES in terms of features/components. You get four wheel disc brakes and the 16 inch low profiles and alloy rim with both but I'm not sure what is standard on the DX/LX models.
            2002 Blackmica P5
            CAI - MSP springs - Brembo cross-drilled rotors & KVR pads - Ground wires - Ignition wires - Silverstars - Eurolites - Pilot fogs - Toyo TPTs - Tint - Blue calipers & strut bar - Batsymbol in rear window

Comment

yeah. P5 = high-end ES
              same engine, just a few perf. mods..
              My brother and I switch cars (my '01 pro lx2.0 & his 2002 P5)
              His has better handling, I'll give him that... but I don't like the bulky feeling of the Hatchback feature.
              But like everyone says.. it comes to a personal preference... the price difference of an ES to a P5 is pretty much the same as doing the little mods yourself, so there's no loss or gain for taking either..

Kenwood KDC-519 w/ RF 500bd + e12K.44
              RB springs
              Magnaflow catback

2004 mods:
              MP3 front bumper conversion

Comment

Originally posted by redfyre
                Subwoofer? I don't get it?

Yeah, the 02.5 P5s have a subwoofer in the middle of the spare tire. I know it sounds kind of weird but, I guess that Mazda did that because the 02 P5s had practicly NO bass due to the small speakers they had. I got mine with the first batch, so I have no subwooffer. .

Hey Freek, what are the perf. Engine mods your talking about? I thought they were exactly the same. :srugs:
                Last edited by RipperSnapper; 12-23-2003, 09:34 AM.

Painted calipers
                Injen CAI
                Custom exhaust

Comment

no perf. engine mods.. just performance (i.e. handling, stability)... that comes from the car being lowered and the strut bar. i find it to be a little heavier set, as well..
                  the engines, as far as i know, are identical...
                  the only difference from his car to mine is the tranny... so his has a little more "oompf" cuz it's Manual..

RB springs
                  Magnaflow catback

2004 mods:

Comment

Oh, O.K. Thats what I thought. I just read your post kinda wrong.

Painted calipers
                    Injen CAI
                    Custom exhaust

Comment

The P5 is not lower than a sedan. The only difference is the strut bar. The p5 has sideskirts, rear skirt, and lower front bumper. Thats probably what made you think it was lower.
                      02 Protege ES

Comment

Are you positive?
                        The ride "feels" lower... but that could just be the stability that's throwing me off.

RB springs
                        Magnaflow catback

2004 mods:

Comment

I have a P5 and I love it. Don't get me wrong, I like the look of the sedans, I just rather the hatchback. Plus, I can fit more speakers and amps in the back, he he he. As far as the ride height, I'm pretty sure that they are the same. The lip kit that I'm about to put on my car will drop my body about 3" though.
                          [

Comment

Thanks for the explaination about the subwoofer RipperSnapper, I forgot about that option on the newer P5's.

As for the ride height, I can see it being a fraction of an inch lower on the P5 due to it's extra 80 pounds but not enough to notice with the eye.
                            2002 Blackmica P5

Comment

The Protege5 and ES have the same engine and suspension, with the exception of the front strut bar on the Pro5. The spring rates may be different due to the extra weight in the rear but don't quote me on this.
                              Clint/1999 "Sport20"

Comment

Working...
                              X