What I did tonight...

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

What I did tonight...

I sent this out as an e-mail to a bunch of people I know. Wanted to hear some comments on it (not a bunch of partisan bickering bull****, I was very unbiased and curious when I compiled it, but happy with the results nonetheless):

I was curious so I took some figures and did some spreadsheet tinkering last night. My question was a simple one: which party has created the most jobs in the past few decades (the figures were from 1961 – 2002). The results weren’t really surprising. The figures are from the Bureau of Labor Statistics (www.bls.gov). These figures reflect estimates of total non-farm payroll (a standard indicator of job growth or loss, farm payroll is highly seasonal and too difficult to track). If we take the figures and add up all the net gains / losses (there was only one President who has had a net loss so far, I’ll get to that in a minute) we get the following:

Republican Party Presidents: 20,337 jobs (in thousands)
    Democratic Party Presidents: 43,656 jobs (in thousands)

So from 1961 to 2002 the Democratic presidents have added twice as many non-farm payroll jobs to this country. Here are the president’s arranged in order of total job creation (highest to lowest, all job figures again in the thousands):

Bill Clinton (D) – 20,941
    Ronald Reagan (R) – 14,056
    Lyndon Johnson (D) – 12,121
    Jimmy Carter (D) – 7,935
    Richard Nixon (R) - 5,906
    John Kennedy (D) – 2659
    Gerald Ford (R) - 1113
    George Bush, Sr. (R) - 712
    George Bush, Jr. (R) - (1,450) <- He is the only one. I hope he turns it around; preliminary 2003 does not look so hot.

Average Gain for a Republican President: 4,067 (5 Republican Presidents, served a total of 21 years)
    Average Gain for a Democratic President: 10,914 (4 Democratic Presidents, served a total of 21 years) <- Why I chose 1961 to 2002

Each of those jobs created is one you might occupy, or need if you lose the one you have now. Something to consider in 2004.
    2002 Silver ES 5-Speed
    1983 F-150 351W

Oh come on, now...
    BushII has created service industry jobs! So what if all the manufacturing goes to Asia, the USA can be proud of "McJob Creation".
    And let's not forget the Military jobs being created, in spite of cuts in Military benefits, we are able to call many reservists to Active Duty status...

and BTW, kc5zom, what we need to consider for the elections appeared on a bumper sticker I saw last week:

"Anyone but Bush, 2004"

Comment

Those figures are supposed to cover government payroll as well (reservists). But they can be skewed by the reservists shifting jobs during the survey period. In the FAQ it says those numbers are impossible to quantify (read: too damn hard).

As it is the figures for August just came out and another 93,000 jobs went down the toilet. The total so far for this year is 437,000 jobs lost, but a recovery is expected/hoped for in the second quarter.
      Last edited by kc5zom; 09-05-2003, 03:57 PM.
      2002 Silver ES 5-Speed
      1983 F-150 351W

Comment

Originally posted by fossil boy
        Oh come on, now...
        BushII has created service industry jobs! So what if all the manufacturing goes to Asia, the USA can be proud of "McJob Creation".
        And let's not forget the Military jobs being created, in spite of cuts in Military benefits, we are able to call many reservists to Active Duty status...

and BTW, kc5zom, what we need to consider for the elections appeared on a bumper sticker I saw last week:

"Anyone but Bush, 2004"
        This is the best you can come up with? I had higher hopes for you, and you have let me down.

Those are the statistics but there is one fact the most people over look, the president of this country cannot make jobs. The market makes jobs. Yes there could be a draft to wipe out unemployment but that would have to be done by congress. One last thing, anything that congress or the president or the Fed does to fix the economy today will take on average 18 month to do anything.
        2003 Mini Cooper S
        2000 Protege ES
        H-stock

Comment

Let me point out a few things Bush has done to allow the economy to flounder:

1. War with Iraq (Billions down the tubes, and a lengthened economic downturn).
          2. Not implementing President Clinton's (<- read that part really hard) plan to combat terrorism, which was left for the Bush administration to implement (finished just before Clinton left office), left on the shelf and ignored until after September 11th. That plan included forming a Department of Homeland Defense and actions against Afghanistan (Iraq was not in there for some reason, probably because the Bush administration is full of liars). Possibly would have avoided 9/11 to begin with, saving billions of dollars in direct costs alone, not to mention the billions more spent on the war on people my daddy didn't like.
          3. Allowing China to maintain a fixed exchange rate (bye to manufacturing jobs), which did not become an issue for the administration until everyone else on Earth bitched about it (Bush has been very proactive).
          4. A stupid supply side tax cut (maybe he should have learned that supply side economics don't work). May not have killed any jobs, but sure didn't help.

The President can have a large effect on the economy and its jobs, just as the Federal Reserve Board can. When rumors started floating about war with Iraq it took a hell of a lot less than 18 months for businesses to put off investing in new equipment.

I didn't really have an axe to grind when I started that, I was curious to look at the figures after discussing it with someone else. So I punched up a spreadsheet program and had a look. Again: I was not surprised. Republicans may be good businessmen (some of them, not Bush again; Cheney is a great one though with that $20 million Halliburton payout) but they make terrible government agents.
          Last edited by kc5zom; 09-10-2003, 09:30 PM.
          2002 Silver ES 5-Speed
          1983 F-150 351W

Comment

Originally posted by David
            This is the best you can come up with? I had higher hopes for you, and you have let me down.
            hahaha...
            Sorry 'bout that, David! I'll try to do better in the future.
            BTW, Bush and Co. have already had their 18+ months (and 16 words), and all we've got is much more committment and deeper in debt.
            Did you realize that the added $87 Billion request for Iraq/Afghanistan exceeds the budget of Dept. of Homeland Security by 3X? (as well as all the money we spend on Education in the US). We're still susceptible to various modes of terrorist attack, and are enduring constant heightened security status.
            Strange, all of this was supposed to make us safer, and the tax cuts were supposed to improve our economy.
            I only mentioned the "McJobs" that were created, because, indeed, they do count as new jobs, even though this type of employment is mediocre, or worse. And yet, even including the "sucky" jobs, there still is a net loss...

Comment

Originally posted by fossil boy
              hahaha...

Did you realize that the added $87 Billion request for Iraq/Afghanistan exceeds the budget of Dept. of Homeland Security by 3X?
              I think that might not be correct, the farm aid bill was more than $87 Billion. I will check to see if I'm wrong or right.

My own thoughts are that the money in this case is nothing. Why, you ask me. Well the Iraq Government will be paying for this. We need to front the money so that we can be paid back. This is not loss money or lost jobs. The oil wells will need to be fixed/ rebuilt, same with the bridges and roads and so on. Now who makes the parts for the oil wells? the trucks to pave the roads. the cranes to fix the bridges.

We the USA does.

I my self would rather look at the positive than the negative
              2003 Mini Cooper S
              2000 Protege ES
              H-stock

Comment

Hmmmm.... Negatives:

1. Bush lied and said that we could sell Iraqi oil and pay for the war. Guess what, isn't going to happen in any reasonable amount of time to make up for the HUGE amount of money that will have to be invested in that place. And won't commit additional troops to protect what they do fix.
                2. They are trying to make a total policy reversal while acting like they aren't (we planned on pandering to the UN all along!).
                3. Bush still won't shut up about 9/11 - Iraq links which still has no evidence.
                4. Bush still won't shut up about the invisible weapons of mass distraction.
                5. Thousands of civilians got to die because of his lies.
                6. Hundreds of soldiers got to die because of his lies.

And the only people making any money off of this are the people at Halliburton. Who are enjoying a nice fat no-bid contract for all the restoration work (would be illegal in the state of Texas, guess the White House can play by more corrupt rules).
                2002 Silver ES 5-Speed
                1983 F-150 351W

Comment

Truth is Bush doesn’t know his ass from a hole in the ground. Look at Texas's education the dropout rate is over 60 percent that’s good schoolin. Our economy is still suffering despite numerous promises. Bush is very anti- pro choice yet he and his girlfriend thought it was ok to have an abortion. He couldn’t run his fathers businesses what makes you think he is has the know how to run a country. Have you noticed that anytime a republican is in office things tend to go spiraling downward. If you do not believe me look at the statistics. I will give bush some credit though he lost the popular vote yet won the presidency because of an out of date electoral system that is completely useless. He has also diverted much the American peoples' attention away from all of the things going wrong in this country much like his father did with the gulf war. If he is re-elected at the end of another 4 years we might be a 3rd world country too.
                  Just some of my thoughts. Bush is a lair and worse a hypocrite, I would like to see what he would say to some of the parents of the solders that were killed for this war.
                  2003 protege es

Comment

Working...
                  X