Plug and Play .....

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Plug and Play .....

I want to switch a tach cluster on to my BF, Se model.

I understand it's a plug and play.

How do I role the miles back to retro fit it to my SE's lower miles, and not mess it up?

My BF is getting seats like this int. of MazKid's. And this is the same cluster and clock I got from a yard on Saturday.

I'll be looking for the door panels and a lower storage/console in front of the shifter.

Everything else is good.

David
    Ky
    Attached Files
    David
    sigpic Ky

Well I did this years ago, but what you have to do is remove the speedometer section and look at the odometer. It'll look like this:
    |0|8|1|7|8|5|3| That's 81,785.3 miles BTW.

Those | parts are dividers...using a small flat-head screw driver, pry between them and the numbers. 1 side of them will be nothing, the other side will be a gear - that's the side you want to see. Pry it a bit farther and you should then be able to rotate the number wheel. It's easy once you get the hang of it.

The other option, though I chose not to do this as I didn't feel like taking the original cluster apart, is to swap the speedometer/odometer as a whole from your tachless cluster to the new one. I believe they are the same, though I haven't really looked at it in years. lol Rolling it is so easy I'd just do that...and I've done that with my 323 cluster, my friend's '86 Camry, and another friend's Civic Si cluster - all were easy but slightly different.

And for those going to say that this is illegal, no, it isn't in this situation as you are rolling the odometer to match the miles shown on the old gauge cluster. That and the fact that these cars are 20 years old and I'm pretty sure that makes them odometer exempt.

1994 Protege BP-Turbo.....1994 Miata Supercharged.....2003 Protege5 stock DD.....1988 323 GT Turbo
    On the road soon: 2003 Protege5 V6 swap
    My vB Gallery - Full Information and Photos of My Mazdas

Comment

Thanks Ryan.

Also I installed the MX3 seats, what did you use to level seats on the console side, this is messed up...lmao.

It's like driving on a hard banking curve and not doing that. looks retarded too!!

Here is the upgraded seats.
      Attached Files
      Last edited by riverrunnernky; 04-24-2008, 11:18 PM. Reason: adding a photo
      David
      sigpic Ky

Comment

Originally posted by riverrunnernky View Post
        Thanks Ryan.

Also I installed the MX3 seats, what did you use to level seats on the console side, this is messed up...lmao.

It's like driving on a hard banking curve and not doing that. looks retarded too!!

Here is the upgraded seats.
        lol!

You need to get the following hardware:
        KL/K8 long throttle body bolt(X4 - 2 found per car)
        Protege/MX-3/lots of other Mazdas front strut mount nuts(X16 - 8 found per car)

Put the long bolts on the console side with 4 nuts each between the seat rail and seat bottom. It'll level it out perfectly. I had concerns about structural integrity with the longer bolts and stuff but have had no issues at all. Once you get the seats level you'll love em! So comfy but supportive too.

1994 Protege BP-Turbo.....1994 Miata Supercharged.....2003 Protege5 stock DD.....1988 323 GT Turbo
        On the road soon: 2003 Protege5 V6 swap
        My vB Gallery - Full Information and Photos of My Mazdas

Comment

Originally posted by MazKid View Post
          The other option, though I chose not to do this as I didn't feel like taking the original cluster apart, is to swap the speedometer/odometer as a whole from your tachless cluster to the new one. I believe they are the same, though I haven't really looked at it in years.
          This is what I did on the BG. The speedometers were different, so I seperated them from the odometers and just swapped those around. It was pretty easy. I don't know the BF though. It may be completely different.
          1990 Protege 4WD
          GT-X BP26 swap [AT->MT]|Cup holder cut to fit|Synthetic gear oil|Synthetic brake fluid|Corksport SS brake/clutch lines|Mazdaspeed HV oil pump|GT-X front STB|Corksport type I rear STB|Matching full-size spare wheel|Homebrew Brass shifter bushing|Speed Source brass shifter cable bushings|EDM headlights/corners|FMIC|EDM cabin vents

1 3 5
          ├┼┤
          2 4 R

Seeking: Canadian 4WD seatbelts.

Comment

Success on the clock, speedo changed.

My only hang up now is what is up with the temp guage??

The look is great, the tack is just baddass !
            David
            sigpic Ky

Comment

The BGs Will, not the BFs....

Originally posted by me109 View Post
              This is what I did on the BG. The speedometers were different, so I seperated them from the odometers and just swapped those around. It was pretty easy. I don't know the BF though. It may be completely different.
              It was very easy to adjust the odometer to the cars actual miles.

All is up but the temp Guage, it's on zero?
              David
              sigpic Ky

Comment

Temp Guage is up...

Originally posted by riverrunnernky View Post
                It was very easy to adjust the odometer to the cars actual miles.

All is up but the temp Guage, it's on zero?
                the screw in the back was not down to the contact on the circuit board and as Ryan earlier, the screws in the back of the guage cluster must be flat to back to work.

My latest plug and play type upgrade is a cable and lever hatch release from an 89 Tracer.
                David
                sigpic Ky

Comment

Working...
                X