Re-Awakened

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re-Awakened

Hi guy's, well, i used to be on the old 323performance boards a long time ago, 3 years ago to be exact... swapped a klze into my lil white 323

well, this is what happened.....

the engine died, had no time to fix it, it sat and waited...
    time went on, and she still sat, got a girlfriend which took up more of whatever time I had... and money to boot and the car still waited
    (at this point think of the lamp in the rain on the old ikea commercial)
    then last year was in a car accident.... wasnt able to do anything.... i mean anything, had a fractured T1 and my left shoulder was completely effed up.

its been 2 and a half years since the car died. I had gutted the engine bay back then thinking that the next engine i put in will be the BPT

so now im a little better, and im going to fix her back up, clean her, and put her back on the road as my daily driver since i dont really want to spend money on a new car (though i have lots to work with, but i'd rather invest that into a house)

so anyways, im putting in the stock 1.6 again (since i cant find a decent low k 1.8 out of the protege's and i want to keep it simple), and just replacing everything thats seized up over that 2 year span... basically all brakes, and suspension, and everything involving the engine/drivetrain (thank god I didnt chuck the original tranny)

hopefully soon she'll be up and running on the road again. suprisingly 2 years worth of rain, snow, ice, and other hasnt dammaged the car... i have the tiniest rust spot on the lower fender well on the drivers side.

whats going into her in the next month or so (since I do all the mechanical work myself... no shop for anything, i just trust myself more )

- Tokico blue's with a dropzone coilover kit that i got for free (i've already assembled them with new mounts and all but would like to know the best method of cutting off the perches)
    - New brakes all around (all hydraulics and hardware) with powerslot cross drilled rotors
    - centerforce clutch kit (stage 2 equivallent)
    - new gas tank (since the 2 year old fuel that is in the current one is pretty much a nice thick jello like substance)
    - New fuel pump
    - then i'll put my 18" rims back on it (which are currently on my ex's mx-3)
    - and whatever else that needs to be replaced

and then touching up the interrior since 2 years worth of extreme heat durring the summer and extreme cold durring the winter has taken its toll on that as well.... my lovely vynil job on the interrior has somewhat come apart.... the glue couldnt stand up to heat over 70+ degree heat (not ferenheight)

I ordered all the parts yesterday and found myself a nice replacement stock B6 with just under 150,000k's on it for $350 (considering cost of gas is going up continually im not going to put money into another gas guzzling engine)

This will be fun, it'll be nice to see my old girl moving around again

attatched are a few old pics of her, first 2 is within the first month i got her in 2004 and a couple small mods (like gauge cluster replacement for one with a tach, lighting, and pillar gauges)
    the later 3 of the interrior, and exhaust are march of 05, she wasnt complete until June of 05 (with the swap and all the rest of the asthetic details) and then she died in August 2006

PS: that is a resonator for a pickup... gives me the low gowl with minimal resistance.... just so the car wouldnt sound like a roided out golf cart, or teenage tuner with a fartcan

Comment

Welcome! Glad you are now OK since that accident. Rebuild that 323. She's been there always with you, she deserves it! My bro's wife has a dark blue one that keeps rolling and saves them $$ at the pump.
      sigpic My cardomain

Comment

looks so clean under there!

JACK.
        -Jack

ONTARIO MAZDA CLUB! Join! https://www.facebook.com/groups/500055016671733/

91 626 LX - basically stock and pretty slow still
        http://www.clubprotege.com/forum/sho...my-GD-626-LX-)

01 E53 3.0i - FOR SALE! pm if interested

91 USDM Protege LX - SOLD! turbo/manifold up for sale!
        http://www.clubprotege.com/forum/showthread.php?t=46606

Comment

I kept it clean, and the original owner whom i bought it off of had is sprayed when she bought it with the dealership rust proofing, and then every other winter she also had it sprayed with the tar based spray (which you can clearly see)

thats why its so clean and non rusty

Comment

Welcome

Originally posted by JSLEnterprises View Post
            PS: that is a resonator for a pickup... gives me the low gowl with minimal resistance.... just so the car wouldnt sound like a roided out golf cart, or teenage tuner with a fartcan
            neat idea on the resonator.
            David
            sigpic Ky

Comment

It works pretty nicely...

when the car was still on the road, it sounded like it was reving around 3000 when it was actually around 4700 - 5000

Im waiting on a my clutch kit from centerforce now... its already been almost 3 weeks... im starting to lose my patience because i really want to get the engine in the car.

Comment

UPDATE:

So i got my clutch from Centerforce finally and had my replacement engine delivered.

they put it in such a neat little package.... and yes, thats the new throw out bearing under the fingers.

the bastards at the scrapyard that delivered the engine spilt a ****load of oil on the driveway.... bastards.

Comment

At least they capped off the openings.
                  I Do not own a Mazda anymore!

Comment

update:

Old engine's out, new engine is prepped with new parts (water pump, timing belt, idler pulley, gaskets/seals galore, clutch, lightened flywheel, and underdrive pulley)

we're washing the engine bay today, and the bell housing of the tranny (to get all the old caked on disc material and oil residue off) she'll be all clean... so happy :D

Comment

Working...
                    X