Rear anti-sway bar on P5

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Rear anti-sway bar on P5

Do they make better rear anti-sway bars for the P5. I was behind a MSP this morning and I noticed they have a rear anti sway bar that looks like it would perform better. It looks thicker an (not that paint does anything LOL) its red.
    I heard you can't use the MSP rear sway bar because the P5 is structured differently obviously because its a wagon.
    " Autobots are an error I intend to correct"

Reformated Alternate Mode:
    Midnite Blue P5 ( 5-speed manual)
    Painted calipers
    Injen CAI
    Custom exhaust
    Tein lowering springs(finally installed)

there was a page listed here a while back that said no.
    whatever page it is that lists engine #'s and specs

Comment

Yeah, I first did a search, but came up short. When I first got My P5, about 2 years ago, There wasn't any. I just wanted to see if that has changed. Its not a big deal, but I do want to get rid of as much body roll as possible. The tien springs I'm looking to get will help, but its winter now an Getting lower springs now isn't much of a priority. I don't wanna be a snowplow unless I get paid for it

Painted calipers
      Injen CAI
      Custom exhaust

Comment

The Protege5 has the same suspension as any other Protege. The fact that it's a wagon makes no difference.

The Mazdaspeed swaybar kit will work but it includes a different subframe for the mounting points on the swaybar.

AWR also makes a 21.5mm rear swaybar that will work on the Protege's.
        Clint/1999 "Sport20"

Comment

Nice! Thanx Negatize. Looks like I found a canidate for my Christmas/B-day money!

Painted calipers
          Injen CAI
          Custom exhaust

Comment

Don't forget AWR's 19mm sway bar as well.

Comment

I've heard that the 19mm bar might be a better option for the wagon, as the 21.5mm makes the Protege 5 really tail happy.

And if you aren't ready for it, the snap over-steer from trail braking or lifting off the throttle mid turn could send you and your car into an unfriendly object.
              "Hey look at me, I'm stupid as hell and can't even breath properly, little alone read!" - Master Shake
              2001 Mazda Protege MP3, with Flyin' Protege Turbo Kit

www.triplezoom.com

Comment

Originally posted by StuttersC
                I've heard that the 19mm bar might be a better option for the wagon, as the 21.5mm makes the Protege 5 really tail happy.

And if you aren't ready for it, the snap over-steer from trail braking or lifting off the throttle mid turn could send you and your car into an unfriendly object.
                The 21.5mm bar does take some getting used to, but also keep in mind you can fine tune it with the adjustable endlinks and slider brackets. It has a wide range of stiffness, you just have to have some idea of what you are doing.

Comment

Originally posted by gcs118
                  The 21.5mm bar does take some getting used to, but also keep in mind you can fine tune it with the adjustable endlinks and slider brackets. It has a wide range of stiffness, you just have to have some idea of what you are doing.

I undertsand that. But the problem is, most people don't.

They buy the bar, put it on the stiffest setting and drive like maniacs...BLAM!
                  "Hey look at me, I'm stupid as hell and can't even breath properly, little alone read!" - Master Shake

www.triplezoom.com

Comment

I can't remember where I read it, but there is a guy from another forum that installed the MSP anti-sway bars in his P5. The only difference is that the MSP ones are thicker.
                    2002 Blackmica P5
                    CAI - MSP springs - Brembo cross-drilled rotors & KVR pads - Ground wires - Ignition wires - Silverstars - Eurolites - Pilot fogs - Toyo TPTs - Tint - Blue calipers & strut bar - Batsymbol in rear window

Comment

Originally posted by redfyre
                      I can't remember where I read it, but there is a guy from another forum that installed the MSP anti-sway bars in his P5. The only difference is that the MSP ones are thicker.
                      You don't have to worry quite as much about being too tail-happy with both bars because you're also getting the thicker front sway bar as well in the package. C'mon AWR...thicker front!

Comment

Where would be the best place to purchase one of those bars?
                        White P5 lowered by ho weight ( so many hos I gotz a 2" drop) '01 Suzuki TL1000R (badly scratched)

Comment

I have the MP3 rear sway bar on my LX sedan ,I believe the P5 uses the same crossmember . I used AWR racing Sway bar spacer brackets and rear endlinks . I had to use the stock LX swaybar bushings and bracketrs ,the bushings opened up to fit the MP3 rear sway bar. hope this links works

2001 LX 2.0 Grace green metallic with gold graphics,
                          Motegi MR12 rims in gold
                          Falken Zeix 502's 205/40/17,
                          MDC Enterprises short throw shifter,Sparco shift knob,
                          Sparco pedal set,Vibrant axle back muffler , MDC Enterprises CAIwith K&N filtercone,Ractive strut bar,MP3 rear swaybar,Tien S-tech springs ,AWR engine mounts,AWR adjustable endlinks,AWR rear trailing arms,Konig rear wing colour matched ,Altezza tail lights edges colour matched to car.P5 front seats,
                          P5 front conversion with side skirts

Comment

Originally posted by gcs118
                            You don't have to worry quite as much about being too tail-happy with both bars because you're also getting the thicker front sway bar as well in the package. C'mon AWR...thicker front!
                            I had heard that the SWC cars actually run a stock front bar and the 21.5mm or 19mm depending on the track. The SWC cars run a really stiff rear-end because they want the car to rotate.

A bigger bar upfront will not allow the car to rotate all that well.

www.triplezoom.com

Comment

Originally posted by Grocerygetter
                              Where would be the best place to purchase one of those bars?

http://www.protege5online.com/For_Sa...sale_page.html

I have the AWR 21.5mm in my P5 and it works great. All it really does is lessen the understeer so that the car is more neutral in the corners. I have never had my car oversteer even in the rain with the bar at it's stiffest setting...And I drive the **** out of my car.
                              Be aware that the 21.5mm bar has been known to break off the endlink mounting tabs on the strut. An MSP or MP3 strut has much stronger tabs, so if you do go with the 21.5, be prepared to swap struts too.

One more thing: If you plan on putting in a front swaybar as well, you're gonna have to drop the whole subframe of the car to install it. There's no way to snake it into place without a major ordeal.
                              Last edited by Natey; 01-26-2004, 10:33 AM.

Comment

Working...
                              X