HID Conversions.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

HID Conversions.

Has anyone else had a chance to try this? 2 Months ago, I decided to switch. It was the best decission I made as so far as lights. The visibility is 10 times better then a standard Halogen bulb. When I drive back home from work at night, one road I go down is non lit. With my stock lights, I could hardly see the lines on the road. With these new lights, I can see everything in front of me, as well as those surrounding my car. I would strongly recomend this upgrade to those in need of better visibility. I will post some pics as soon as I get good pics.
    Mazda
    1988 Black 323 GT
    DOHC 16 VALVE TURBO

2013 Velocity Red Mica Mazdaspeed3

so you shoved some HID's into your stock headlight housing?
    lets see the install and lets see the beam patterns!

Comment

Nope, I have a set of edm clear headlights that are H4. I have pics in my gallery.
      Mazda
      1988 Black 323 GT
      DOHC 16 VALVE TURBO

Comment

Filament lamps and xenon discharge arc lamps have totally different light output patterns and the arc lamps will never be proper in a filament light design housing. Period. There are OE projectors that can accomodate both with a unified design, but are not as good a pure filament or pure arc lamp housing. Note that putting HIDs in a car not deisgned for them is completely illegal in the US and are a very common reason to get pulled over. You'd have a much better beam spread, coverage, and everything with a good halgoen bulb in a LHD euro housing or a US housing pattern (worse but still usable) that is properly aimed. I use Sylvania Ultravisions, the Silverstars you buy here are nothing but pieces of ricer garbage with a filament super overdriven to compensate for the moronic blue glass coating. Osram SIlverstars are totallya different, but they aren't sold here. Philips makes a great bulb too, I can't remember the name though. If it has a colored coating, its ****.

Check out Daniel Stern's lighting site, he's the best place for lighting information.

just a sidenote: the worst possible lighting you could have is RHD housings, an eBay HID kit with some garbage colored beam, and not professionally aimed. I will probably flash you with all 250watts of driving lights I have on the front of my car if you have that and blind me, which is always super obvious because you light up half the freeway. Colored headlights are stupid, the only color that would help would be is a certain yellow for a low-angle fog light, which is another thing that isn't legal to have on except for in certain conditions. If you drive with your foglights on, you're a dick.
        Last edited by djcommie; 04-30-2008, 12:43 AM.

Comment

oh nice, you have clear lenses! and edm, so its perfect for HID's!

nice look too!

Comment

Kyle's GT has awesome looking lights. Never got to see them in the dark, but that should change in 3 weeks.

That's right. I'm coming back out for more wedding shiz. We gotta do some driving
            No car! I soldz it. Now I have a truck. I like it, but apparently it has a hard time keeping up with a slightly modified 4WD protege with half the hp. Neat.

Comment

Use the search button noob. Everyone wants to go hid. Its illegal. Its unsafe Its stupid
              I live my life a quarter pounder at a time. And for those 500 calories or more, I'm free. I need FRIES! Two of them. The big ones. Oh, and I need them tonight. You're lucky the double shot of BBQ sauce didn't blow the seam on your nugget box. There she is, 2 pounds of pure beef. My dad ate it in 9.0 seconds flat. Check it out, it's like this. If I lose, winner takes my happy meal. But if I win, I take the burger and the toy. To some people, that's more important.

._________________________
              |.....Overnight....................| ||
              |.....Japan Parts.................| |'|";,___.
              |_..._...____________======||_|_|...,]
              "(@)'(@)""'''''''''''''"'''"**|(@)(@)*****"(@)
              Oh and by the way that shot in your banner with Vin Diesel's car getting shot, thats a civic not an altezza.

Comment

I have HID's on my 626, but I wouldn't even attempt it on my pro. I've seen our cars with HID's on the stock lenses and the light pattern is totally fubared. It lights better but i would never reccomend it for the fact that it blinds everyone else. My 626, on the other hand, has JDM projectors and it works perfectly for it. I'd at least go that route when using hid's. If not, just go with a brighter halogen bulb and don't be inconsiderate to other drivers of the road.

14.500@95.68 mph naturally aspirated
                '94 Protege LX 5 speed "grooved" 34mpg average

Comment

Yea im about to do install some HID also and I also have the EDM glass headlights. Im debating on 2 different brands for the same price.
                  1990 Protege 4wd: BP05 forged internals, Mild ported head, GTR intake manifold, Gates racing timing belt, GTX transmission, Stage 3 clutch, 60trim T-3 turbo, Custom down pipe,3" Stainles exhaust, , Walbro fuel pump, RB-Performance fmic kit, HKS bov, Aurfa coilovers, F&R drilled slotted rotors, 16" BBS wrapped with Advan Novea tires, EDM glass headlights with HID's, Familia front and rear bumpers.

Boosted 1990 4WD
                  http://www.wihandyman.com/forum/showthread.php?t=32462

sigpic

Comment

I would never recomend an HID kit in a stock Halogen light housing. It is unsafe and stupid, as well as pointless. But I will say these euro headlights I picked up, go very well with my HID's. They are bright, very strieght and adjustable. They work very well at aiming at the ground instead of in your eyes. Im personally happy with them, and like I said, would recomend them with a PROPER install.

As so far as the legality point of view, I have asked about them with local PD as well as state troopers, and thet told me that as long as they are setup properly, and aimed at the ground and not at on-comming drivers, they are perfectly legal.
                    I do also keep a set of Regular Halogen H4's in my trunk incase something where to go wrong. So far they have been perfect.
                    Last edited by FamiliaGT; 04-30-2008, 02:01 PM.
                    Mazda
                    1988 Black 323 GT
                    DOHC 16 VALVE TURBO

Comment

So the edm's are suitable for hid?
                      My car is a Vazondissan. Part Nissan. Part Mazda. Part Ford. Part VW. Part Honda.

1993 Protege - DX with LX upgrades. Still rockin' the SOHC. Custom HID headlight Retrofit.

2009 Mazda 3 - Finacee Car. No power nothing. About to trade in for a 2014 Mazda 6 Sport.

Install Shifter Bushings: http://www.wihandyman.com/forum/show...491#post646491

Custom HID's: http://www.wihandyman.com/forum/show...&highlight=hid

Comment

Actually yes. They fit well and work great.
                        Mazda
                        1988 Black 323 GT
                        DOHC 16 VALVE TURBO

Comment

Also remember people, Kyle (FamiliaGT) has a 88 (right?) 323 GT. His lighting options are different from the BG edm housings, which are near identical to the usdm housings, which AREN'T suitable for HIDs.
                          No car! I soldz it. Now I have a truck. I like it, but apparently it has a hard time keeping up with a slightly modified 4WD protege with half the hp. Neat.

Comment

Sooo, if someone sells me some edm's, regardless whether its 90-93 or 94/323style, I'll sell or trade my jdm plus brand new corners plus cash :-)
                            My car is a Vazondissan. Part Nissan. Part Mazda. Part Ford. Part VW. Part Honda.

1993 Protege - DX with LX upgrades. Still rockin' the SOHC. Custom HID headlight Retrofit.

2009 Mazda 3 - Finacee Car. No power nothing. About to trade in for a 2014 Mazda 6 Sport.

Comment

But the jdm's arn't suitable for hid, right?

Comment

Working...
                              X