Whats up with old school protos

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Whats up with old school protos

ok, so ive just migrated from the honda world when i got a good deal on a 00 protege. Im currently looking for another early 90's 4banger to play with...I like honda's and feel like early crx's are the best to mod...but after watching post's about early proteges they look like a promising project, think yall can give a mazda newbie some more info about what models are best and any stock specs, and part availability.

by the way i have an 87 mint integra with a d16z that i might trade for one of these if yall can make my mouth water.

Comment

it really depends on what you want to do with the car, race, drag, auto-X etc...
      No more protege, Mx-3 now...Only known BP powered Mx-3 in Nova Scotia

Comment

auto x....all twisties where i live.

Comment

OK I WANT ONE.
          Attached Files

Comment

ok nevermind yall, i guess all the nice ones are in finland, iceland, and canada.
            alright then

Comment

1g integras are sweeet
              93' Noble Green MX-ZE (sold )
              02' Graphite Grey WRX Stage 4, 286whp
              05' Pontiac Vibe daily driver, lowered/tinted/rims

Comment

There's a lot you can do with the 1g proteges (90-94).

Look for an LX, it has the 1.8l DOHC BP engine, which is the gravy engine. Smooth, free-reving, very well built. 124hp/114ftlbs. It's very quick, though, it has short gears. Power potential is excellent with these cars, the internals are good for at least 400whp turbocharged. Turboing is also pretty straightforward on these cars since there is a turbocharged version of the engine that was available overseas (europe, asia, etc) that puts out 180hp stock. There was rare version of the engine built a little more with a larger turbo that came with 210hp stock.

If you're looking primarily at autox, turbo may be overkill, but the stock turbo does spool up quickly.

The chassis is terrific, there are more than a few autoxers on the board. The sky is the limit there (within reason for a fwd platform)
                Dan
                dreesemonkey

Comment

Get a 90-94 LX Protege it's got all the goods
                  Tach, ECU, seats, tranny, power locks & windows, cruise control and alloy 14' rims.
                  own: 91'323 w/ angel eye projectors & 1.8 DOHC all motor

Comment

good info yall thanks.

Comment

u might wanna talk to jesse, his alias is jessesays i believe. he's big on auto x and could help u out with handling n such.
                      James G.
                      sobe83@yahoo.com
                      AIM: DVS 323BPT
                      MySpace
                      Cardomain
                      <BR>

<marquee>Turbonetics T3/T4, RC 550cc injectors, Walbro fuel pump, SSAutochrome Miata manifold, Tial 35mm wastegate, large FMIC, Apex-I SAFC, GReddy Type S BOV, 2.5" aluminum charge pipes, NGK plugs/wires, RX-7 VAM, 3" turbo-back exhaust, ARP head studs, H&R Springs, S/R struts, Sony XPlod deck-2/12" subs, Power Acoustic 800w amp, Pioneer speakers, Evo front bumper, ADR DV8 17" wheels.</marquee>

Comment

Originally posted by Projekt_proto
                        auto x....all twisties where i live.
                        You want to auto X or you want to improve suspension only because of the twisty roads where you live?
                        -------------------------
                        '91 LX
                        '03 Mazdaspeed Protege #235
                        -------------------------

Originally posted by pigeon
                        well if you're a fan of inaccuracy and uncertainty.... then by all means, go set your timing by feel and sound

while you're out there, you might as well adjust your air/fuel ratio by smell... and your tire pressure by ride height

Comment

not really auto x, but we kinda make a living road racing around here.

Comment

so i take it 90-94 lx would be the best model to play with, are there plent of aftermarket parts for these models.

Comment

Although it would take some extra time and a motor swap...
                              I vote for the 88-93 mazda 323 hatchback...
                              I think this little car is perfect because, it is a hatchback, what everyone loves.
                              Also with a motor swap ... 2 choices B6T or a BP (turbo if you want) the car will be very fast.
                              The 323 can also take any suspension part that the 1st gen Protege can take. You can get the jspec bumpers and install them if that floats your boat.

It's small, it's light, and with a little work can be a seriously fast car...

Ofcourse this is not to take away from the 4 door.
                              We all know everyone loves hatches..
                              Bruce
                              photo album|photo album 2 (pbase)

dbest1a AT yahoo DOT com

Comment

Working...
                              X