HELP : Car stalls

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

HELP : Car stalls

Hey guys so my car sometimes stalled when i pulled it out of gear as i approached a stop. This happened very rarely and sporatically.

Well, today it happened every time i pulled the car out of gear and into neutral. If I start the car, the motor starts up then revs drop down and the car stalls. any ideas? what's wrong? how do i fix it?? thx for all your help.
    Tag Team

is it hard to start

Comment

i just bought and sold an 86 crx that did the same thing and it turns out the timing belt was one tooth off.

Comment

i just talked to my uncle and he said it could be anything from a simple vaccum leak to bad gas or worst case loss of compression.

Comment

When was the last time you replaced spark plugs / cables? What about fuel filter? Check intake hose for small cracks...
          -------------------------
          '91 LX
          '03 Mazdaspeed Protege #235
          -------------------------

Originally posted by pigeon
          well if you're a fan of inaccuracy and uncertainty.... then by all means, go set your timing by feel and sound

while you're out there, you might as well adjust your air/fuel ratio by smell... and your tire pressure by ride height

Comment

That does sound similar to what hapoened to my car when I had the intake apart and forgot to hook up the MAF. Try checking your VAF(?)
            Ryan The middle child is always ignored
            BP powered 97LX Touring Edition
            Vibrant strut tower brace, KVR front brake pads, Tungsram Megalicht H4 headlight bulbs, Phillips Halogen H3 foglight bulbs.... 91 GT rims w/ 195 60 14 Yokohomo Mirada GTX sport

Comment

VAF is ok since it was replaced and installed by the mazda dealership only a few months ago.

the spark plugs are new also, and plug cables are new. wuts a fuel filter?

and the car is not hard to start; it fires up as strong as ever.

I dont know much about the timing belt, but i guess that might have some part in it. I know that my belts need changing, but how likely is it that the timing belt is not lined up properly?

My friend mentioned something about an idle sensor?? i dunno wut that is.

any other thoughts guys?
              Tag Team

Comment

well, reguardless, check your plugs.. make sure they aren't fouled up, check plug stems make sure they're clean, check your ignition coil, replace your fuel filter (filters particles pumped through your fuel lines), check for vaccum leaks, check for intake leaks..etc.

Comment

im gonna go with a vacuum leak. happened to me and was just like u said. car would start and then start to stall check for leaks
                  i is dumb

Comment

ok im replacing my fuel filter today, i've already bought the replacement. as for vacuum leaks, umm im kinda a n00b so, i just check all the hoses that are involved with the intake?
                    Tag Team

Comment

what a common problem with our cars eh. if u got break cleaning spray, turn on the engine and spray around the main vacuum hoses, if idle revs high...yah yah. raising your idle to 850-900 could also help. your iac sensor is right below your tps, worth a shot. people have also switched to a blaster 2 coil to help the stalling. highly doubt its the fuel filter, and its easy to check your timming belt, so check out them teeth while your there.
                      James G.
                      sobe83@yahoo.com
                      AIM: DVS 323BPT
                      MySpace
                      Cardomain
                      <BR>

<marquee>Turbonetics T3/T4, RC 550cc injectors, Walbro fuel pump, SSAutochrome Miata manifold, Tial 35mm wastegate, large FMIC, Apex-I SAFC, GReddy Type S BOV, 2.5" aluminum charge pipes, NGK plugs/wires, RX-7 VAM, 3" turbo-back exhaust, ARP head studs, H&R Springs, S/R struts, Sony XPlod deck-2/12" subs, Power Acoustic 800w amp, Pioneer speakers, Evo front bumper, ADR DV8 17" wheels.</marquee>

Comment

brake cleaner spray???? you sure that's safe????
                        2006 Mazda 3 hatchback manual

Comment

i would say for ****'s sake, to change out that timing belt. It's always good to know you wont have a problem with reliability.
                          NOW WITH SPINNER HUB CAPS

Comment

Well for starters, ceck the wiring harness for the VAF, just because it is new, does not mean it is not the cause of the problem. Alos do you smeel a lot of gas? do you get a high idle before it dies? Have you touched your distributor? has the car gotten water under the hood? just a few questions to start
                            When you turn your car on... does it return the favor?

Originally posted by goldstar
                            Yes, still have it. It was my attempt to immortalize you in verse.

A Protege driver named Brock
                            Once said 7 seconds he'd clock.
                            So his engine he goosed
                            With much too much boost,
                            And drove a rod through his block.

Comment

when the car was doing it all day, i slightly smelled gas. No, i don't get a high idle before it dies. I have not touched my distributor. Water had not gotten under the hood.

Im not sure i want to spray anything into the intake.

The car isn't giving me problems anymore, so hopefully this won't come back. Maybe the fuel filter did the trick. thx for all your input guys.
                              Tag Team

Comment

Working...
                              X