colored replacement bulbs

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

colored replacement bulbs

last night, i bought some red 194 bulbs for the puddle lights...
    it looks really cool and it inspired me to do more...

first off, i need to know of a place i can get colored interior lights...
    i can only find occasional reds and greens anywhere i go, and i can't even find colored dome lights...

then, i don't really know what kind of bulbs are used where...
    i know 194 is for the puddle lights... probably trunk, glove box, and those little lights right by the rear view mirror...
    don't know about gauge lights or anything though...
    is there an easy to read source for this?

last problem is how to access some of these lights... but i'll get to that later...
    (i wish the guy who swapped out his gauge lights put in a how to)
    justin
    Protege - 1993 - White - LX - AT - 170k miles
    installed--- Glass Sunroof, ZX2 S\R struts, Eibachs, custom intake, mp3 headunit, Enkei RS6 16" wheels

Ok, to answer your questions:

1) Walmart and Pep Boys sells silicon light bulb covers. They are available in red, blue and green )possibly other colors not too sure).

2) The dash lights are 194 style bulbs

3) Here's how to get to your gauge cluster:

Pop off access cover on the driver side of the dash. (Sits around the corner from the vent closest to the driver door.) Once you take the cover off, unscrew the screw holding the black dash molding in place.

Next, go back to the front of the dash and unscrew the screws located on the bottom of the black plastic piece that sits on the steering column. Once the screws are out, remove the top half.

After that, remove the screws located on the underside of the black dash molding. Then go to where the gauge cluster and remove the 2 screws holding the black dash molding to the rest of the dashboards. (The screw are located towards the top of where the gauges are).

Then start to pull the switches out of the black molding. (A/C, Def, Power Mirrors, and Cruise). They might not come out far since you have to disconnect each switch fro mthe power harness. Once you disconnect the switches, Pull the molding out some more.

Next go to where the clock and hazard button are. Disconnect the connects for both. After this is done, you can remove the black vent molding.

Now you have to reach up under the dash and fell around in back of the gauges cluster for the speedo cable. (It will be a stiff cable with a plastic piece holding it to the back of the cluster.) Simply squeeze the plastic pice nad slide it away from the cluster.

Once that is done get up and now you can unscrew the gauge cluster. Remove the 2 screws on top and the 2 on the bottom and start to slide the cluster out. Reach behind and there are 3 ribbon style wires for various power/sensors. One is located behind the Engine temp gauge, another is in the middle of the cluster and the last is located behind the fuel gauge. These ribbons just slide right out of the cluster.

After that's done you can just slide the cluster right out of the dash.
    1991 Mazda 323 GTR Sedan
    MODS:
    GTR motor swap, F&R Familia strut bars, MX-3 Rear Lower strut tie bar, GTX front bumper, GTX grill, EDM headlights & corners, EDM 323 rear garnish, EDM spoiler, EGT sideskirts, MX-3 seats, GTX steering wheel, EGT glass sunroof, WRX hood scoop (functional!!), and other things that take too much space to list.....
    TO DO LIST:
    EDM/JDM rear bumper
    EDM/JDM power folding mirrors
    Repaint car

Comment

I've got a green dome light... Basically I bought a normal light and a green plastic 'condom' that goes over it... It's dim as hell but hey, green's green.
      ~Mar.

Now say it with me... B-R-A-K-E.

Good job!

Comment

You might find this a bit helpful:
        -------------------------
        '91 LX
        '03 Mazdaspeed Protege #235
        -------------------------

Originally posted by pigeon
        well if you're a fan of inaccuracy and uncertainty.... then by all means, go set your timing by feel and sound

while you're out there, you might as well adjust your air/fuel ratio by smell... and your tire pressure by ride height

Comment

look on ebay. I got some blue bulbs for cheap there. All you need to know is that they are 194 bulbs and the color you want.

I just put in "red 194 bulbs" on ebay
          The T3 BP MX-3 conversion has begun, and is taking forever & will kill me.

Comment

Working...
          X