Possible Tranny Failure

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Possible Tranny Failure

Well I threw a check engine light today. It came on after the car started kind of bogging down under acceleration. First gear feels good but when I shift into second and start to accelerate I get very little response. There is also a stuttered feeling. I am worried it could be a problem with the transmission. Any thoughts. I can't go get the check engine light diagnosis yet, but when Friday rolls around I will see if I can drive it. I have a mechanic coming over tonight (friend of family) for dinner. I am going to get him to check it out and hope for the best.

Sounds to me like you ran out of gas...

Comment

Ive had a check engine light up for a few months now. No one can figure out whats wrong.

If you can drive it, its ok. Its probubly nothing. When the car throws up the check engine light it causes alot of problems, especially bogged down acceleration.

Comment

I don't know a whole lot about these things, but I had a friend who had one of his injectors go out on him and so he was running on three cylinders, and he described about the same thing. Apparently it's nothing serious if it's just the injector, but if the spark plug dies and the cylinder is still getting gas in it that can cause problems with other parts of the engine.

(Disclaimer: I'm not an expert on engines but my friend knew what he was talking about... I'm hoping this helps. No guarantees about fitting your problem, just thought it might be a possibility.)

Comment

Well I we have decided that it is most likely bad fuel. I am going to run the gas down and then refuel with premium and use some of that cleaning stuff you mix with the gas.

Comment

Unless it's an automatic I doubt that it'll throw a check engine light. If it is an automatic isn't there a hold light or something like that on third gens?
            2006 Mazda 3 hatchback manual

Comment

if it does turn out to be a tank of bad gas I would recommend that after you get good gas into you make sure that you reset the ECU. when they are trying to compensate for ****ty gas in the engine it can take a few tanks to get it sorted out if you don't reset it.

My buddy Jeep had bad gas and we ran it dry and put fresh fuel in with the cleaner in it as well. It did not run right for a while. Once we reset the ECU it begain to behave again.

Just my 0.02.
              --JJB--
              '02 Silver Protegé5 - 5sp - no performance mods, no plans for them
              Kenwood Z919 -- Polk Audio speakers
              16" alloys w/ 205/50 Bridgestone RE750 (summer)
              15" steels w/ 195/55 Bridgestone Blizzak LM22 (winter)

Moon roof - wind deflector - variable intermittent wipers - electrochromic mirror w/ temp & compass
              Winter/beater car: 1997 Mercury Mountaineer with 182k on it

Comment

How do you reset the ECU?

Comment

Originally posted by Proto2k
                  How do you reset the ECU?
                  disconnect batery, then hold down brake pedal for 30 seconds

I'm kinda sure
                  Want Projector Headlights ?

Comment

Thanks Danny.

Comment

Merry Christmas
                      Want Projector Headlights ?

Comment

Resetting the ECU got rid of the check engine light for a little while. The car would drive good for a few minutes and then start up again. So it is definately looking like bad fuel.

Comment

go ****ing complain to the gas station to man.
                          Visit My Garage

Comment

You could also be looking at a timing chain issue. My old Taurus had issues very similar to that before I took it in. Course, it also had a blown headgasket too. $1500 worth of fun later it would have been fixed. Instead, I told the mechanic to keep it and laid out my down payment...best break down I've ever had...
                            02 Black Dx with Full Tint and Katana Tezzas...and don't you dare laugh at my sprayer LEDs!

Comment

The ****ty fuel was flushed out. I ran some premium through and reset my ECU. Problem solved.

Comment

Working...
                              X