Best way to wash?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Best way to wash?

Ok, so my car's red and even though that doesn't attract a lot of dirt... it's pollen season, which we all know leaves that annoying yellow/green layer on the car. I just want to see what everyone uses to wash their car. I personally use high foam car soap with a sponge, rinse and this is where my problem begins. No matter how much ****ing money i spend on rags i always get ****ing trails and shreds of the cloth on the car. It really pisses me off when i spend close to an hr washing my car and it still isn't to perfection. Also what do you guys use to wash the insides? For the windows i use some expensive invisible glass cleaner. It works extremely well. Recommendations on cleaning?

Moved to proper section.

I accually like using that mr clean car wash system(not sure the exact name). It has a touchless drying setup that in all accuality works well.
    1993 Protege LX-Midnight's shadow SOLD
    1996 Honda CBR600-Wrecked. Damn Honda crippled me
    2002 mazda MPV-family truckster SOLD
    2010 VW routon

Originally posted by jay
    .....they totally underestimated the number of gearheads such as myself that have families but refuse to grow the hell up and stop playing with cars, or that otherwise see the utility of having 4 doors. Obviously I ain't alone, as there are a helluva lotta sti and evo here. Bueler? Beuler? Mazda? Mazda?

Comment

for windows, i just use normal windex and newspaper. It doesn't leave streaks or lint on the window surfaces. As for the exterior, i just use some turtlewax wash in a bucket with water, and a sponge. After done washing, i use a synthetic type shammy (sp*) leaves the car dry and clean of excessive crap.

There was a whole thread on this kind of stuff in the detailing section.
      sigpic

Comment

shammy way 2 go
        sigpicSLICK PROTEGE

Comment

personally i use rubbing alcohol for the windows. (lil trick i learned when i was a janitor for the hospital) leaves em spotless. for the outside i use a cleaner called green clean its made by dustbane chemicals. its something we sell as a multi purpose cleaner and it doesnt strip wax off the car and is very mild but cuts threw the grime awesome. for the dash and plastic pieces i use the typical armor all but don't use it on the shift knob or the steering wheel lmfao did that ONCE guarantee if you do it, it will be the last time you do it!!!! for drying the car i just hop on the freeway and hit about 120
          Check out the Pics
          sigpic
          http://www.wihandyman.com/forum/vbpi...?do=view&g=228
          Mazda's Rule Honda's Drool

Comment

lmao at armor all on the steering wheel. I only did that once.
            I used to work at a carwash when I was in highschool. Whenever I had a customer that was being a PITA I would give them a nice leather/vinyl treatment to the steering wheel, gas pedal and if possible clutch and rubber floor mats
            I live my life a quarter pounder at a time. And for those 500 calories or more, I'm free. I need FRIES! Two of them. The big ones. Oh, and I need them tonight. You're lucky the double shot of BBQ sauce didn't blow the seam on your nugget box. There she is, 2 pounds of pure beef. My dad ate it in 9.0 seconds flat. Check it out, it's like this. If I lose, winner takes my happy meal. But if I win, I take the burger and the toy. To some people, that's more important.

._________________________
            |.....Overnight....................| ||
            |.....Japan Parts.................| |'|";,___.
            |_..._...____________======||_|_|...,]
            "(@)'(@)""'''''''''''''"'''"**|(@)(@)*****"(@)
            Oh and by the way that shot in your banner with Vin Diesel's car getting shot, thats a civic not an altezza.

Comment

lmfao gotta love getting even with PITA people
              Check out the Pics
              sigpic
              http://www.wihandyman.com/forum/vbpi...?do=view&g=228
              Mazda's Rule Honda's Drool

Comment

I don't get mad I get even :D
                I live my life a quarter pounder at a time. And for those 500 calories or more, I'm free. I need FRIES! Two of them. The big ones. Oh, and I need them tonight. You're lucky the double shot of BBQ sauce didn't blow the seam on your nugget box. There she is, 2 pounds of pure beef. My dad ate it in 9.0 seconds flat. Check it out, it's like this. If I lose, winner takes my happy meal. But if I win, I take the burger and the toy. To some people, that's more important.

._________________________
                |.....Overnight....................| ||
                |.....Japan Parts.................| |'|";,___.
                |_..._...____________======||_|_|...,]
                "(@)'(@)""'''''''''''''"'''"**|(@)(@)*****"(@)
                Oh and by the way that shot in your banner with Vin Diesel's car getting shot, thats a civic not an altezza.

Comment

use a micro fiber sponge
                  95 ES
                  05 S60R

Comment

I've just recently used the new Ice turtle wax in the paste can. It worked really good. it tells you to actually put it on your rubber trim and plastic also. i tried this and it really made my car look nice. the wax worked good and it didn't dry to a white haze either. i would reccomend using it when waxing. meguires interior wipes are pretty good also.

Comment

Sham-wow

sigpicWorlds first car with GPS was a Mazda

~~~~~~~~> Thanks again to member gooseinyou for the familia garnish <~~~~~~~~

Comment

Originally posted by Mr GoD View Post
                        Sham-wow
                        lol, sham-wow. i effen hate the guy on the infomercial.

I actually have a mobile detailing business that i run out of the pro. To properly wash the car, first of all you should be parked in the shade. Direct sunlight will screw you right up and create all sorts of water spots and streaks. Also, make sure to keep it parked at least 20 mins before you start to wash. Hot brakes hate water.

Now I'm used to detailing newer cars with really nice paint...our almost 20 year old cars probably have very abused paint, so you can get away with using a sponge or sham-wow. I'm just going to outline the process/ products i use.

Ok, so to start you need 2 buckets, a wash mitt, car shampoo (obviously), hose with high pressure nozzle, and drying towels. I also use scrubbing brushes, but that's only if you have heavy dirt and are using a wash mitt that you don't want contaminated. First put a few oz of shampoo in the bottom of one empty bucket, and then fill using the highest pressure possible to create suds. Fill the other bucket with clean water.

Then soak the car with water, and either scrub or blast away all the heavy dirt. Now dip your wash mitt and begin washing. Always start from the top, so that the dirt and crap isn't dripping on clean paint. Make sure to constantly rinse the wash mitt in the clean water bucket before you resoap-up your wash mitt. I usually change the clean water once during a wash. I also usually wash half the car, rinse, then wash the other half. Once you have the other half all soapy, give the first half a once-over with a soapy wash mitt, and then rinse the whole car, starting from the top.

Then you dry. Start with the windows, as water spots are most evident there. I use 2 towels. One to get most of the water, and then another one to make it completly dry.

For the inside glass, I use stoner invisible glass (i think it's available at walmart) and a waffle weave microfibre towel.
                        1993 Protege SE

Comment

Normally, I use Turtle Wax Zipwax car wash and one of those wash mitts when I can actually wash my car (goddamn water restrictions in GA...) and good ol' Dawn when it's time to wax my car. I've got a great shammy cloth that works like a dream for drying the car.

For paint detail, I start with either Mothers or Meguire's claybar product to take out a lot of the crap that gets stuck to the paint. Then, I use Mothers cleaner wax to finish it off or a polish and then pure wax (i.e. no cleaner) if I'm feeling ambitious.

Comment

what do you guys use on tinted windows??????

Comment

I work at a Land Rover dealership, and we use very high quality expensive brushes/brooms, with soft bristles so the paint doesent get scratched. As for the soap we use this stuff called blue magic 2000, and it works wonders. To dry off we use shammies. For windows a regular can of AC delco Glass cleaner and some really unabsorbant papertowel to prevent streaking.

Comment

Working...
                              X